MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the difference is between the standard S and the factory JCW airbox is? They both use the same air filter element according to realoem?

I wonder why they didn't use the box and filter out of the retrofit kit?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Does anybody know what the difference is between the standard S and the factory JCW airbox is? They both use the same air filter element according to realoem?

I wonder why they didn't use the box and filter out of the retrofit kit?
Strange but indeed true. It has been posted about this before.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have seen it somewhere but couldn't find it again?

I wonder if somebody would be kind enough to photo the JCW airbox so we can see the differences in terms of size/dimensions?
The next question would be, would it then be worth upgrading the standard S airbox to this, like some have done with the JCW intake pipe?

·
Boosted
480 Posts
Can only see it helping. Especially if you use an ITG filter as well!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking that, only the JCW seems to use the flat panel filter not the round one as per tuning kit?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I was thinking that, only the JCW seems to use the flat panel filter not the round one as per tuning kit?
I think Benny meant upgrading to the Stage 1 tuning kit airbox rather than the factory one.:smile:

·
Boosted
480 Posts
I think Benny meant upgrading to the Stage 1 tuning kit airbox rather than the factory one.:smile:
Yep. What he said. :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Benny, I don't think you understood my question...

I was trying to get at the advantages of using the factory JCW airbox over the standard S airbox and if it would fit. Not by just suggesting using the JCW airbox out of the retro fit kit.

JCW obvisouly ditched the cone filter and airbox (from the kit) in favour of the panel again on the factory JCW for some reason and added the rigid intake pipe.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Benny, I don't think you understood my question...

I was trying to get at the advantages of using the factory JCW airbox over the standard S airbox and if it would fit. Not by just suggesting using the JCW airbox out of the retro fit kit.

JCW obvisouly ditched the cone filter and airbox (from the kit) in favour of the panel again on the factory JCW for some reason and added the rigid intake pipe.
Call me cynical, but they probably ditched the JCW tuning kit airbox so that they could add it at a later date for a mid life power hike of a few bhp, just as they did with the R53.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good call Japper, it does make you wonder what, if anything the JCW airbox gives then, apart from a visual addition?

Back to the original question then, what are the differences in the standard S and factory JCW airbox, if anything? Will it fit? is there better flow? is there additonal power to be had?

A JCW kit airbox is £180 whereas the JCW factory airbox is £60

·
Registered
851 Posts
Doesn't the factory JCW run a MAF sensor? Whilst the S & Tuning kit versions don't.

That they may it's a slightly different internal design?

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same as the stock S item. There's lots of reasons why they may have ditched the tuning kit version, with cost and ease of manufacture probably leading them.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes they run the MAF sensor on the intake pipe that comes from the airbox to the turbo, but I don't think there are any additional parts that would make it different internally.

They are different part numbers, lets see if anybody with a JCW is willing to take off the cover and photograph it?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If anyone is interested in buying a JCW stage 1 airbox either with or without a ITG foam filter, drop me a PM. Mine is for sale next week:D

In perfect condition ( 14k miles ) with just a few very light scratches to the back / top of the airbox. ( caused by plastic ferrel on my detailing brush:( )

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts