MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not officially released yet (but I'm told it will be in the New Year), but has anyone had any experiences with Strut Braces?

Does it make the car feel much different? Any comments would be great as I'm considering shelling out for the JCW item when they release it....pending peoples comments on fitting these mind you ;)

Cheers!

·
See you in my rear view!!
901 Posts
I have heard from a couple of people the same.....the recurring reason was that it can twist the chassis with a little bump on the one side.....so connecting the two sides is not the best idea!

Not sure if this is true etc....just what a few people mentioned to me.....

Jones! :D

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I thought that originally Rob, but I had the following conversation with one of the techs at JCG when I was down there a few weeks back:

Me “Do you have any details on the new JCW Strut Brace you’re bringing out?”

Tech “All we know at the moment is that it is meant to be with us in the New Year”

Me “I am interested, but I’ve heard a lot of horror stories from people that have fitted them. Apparently, any sizeable impact can twist the chassis, as the force cannot be dispersed properly. Is that true?”

Tech “That’s the first I’ve heard of it! We run all our racing cars with strut braces and any that have been involved in shunts have never come back with any chassis damage. I’d say that any sizeable impact resulting in the chassis twisting would happen regardless of a strut brace”.

I’m not sure if he was just trying to sell me the brace, but he does have a point. If their racing cars have them and are undamaged, I can’t see it being any different for a road car. Also if any damage DID occur, then its not like trying to claim against a non-bmw part that caused the damage.

Has anyone had any favourable experiences with Strut Braces though? :confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have had braces on other cars, and there was no real difference in how th ecar handled after putting one on. I agree to put your money somewhere else. Say in a larger rear sway bar.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had strut braces on other cars, and had no ill effects of them. Front does become more twitchy on bad roads, but i dont see how it can twisting the chassis from it ???

Surely if the impact is that big it would take at the wheel and suspension too :confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't think it will twist the chasis. The logic doesn't make sense. If that were the case, then roll cages would have the same affect, and so would the current cross members in the engine compartment such as the front bumper.

·
DrJ
170 Posts
The current issue of GoMini shows you how to fit one and it looks very easy. Just bolts on to the existing suspension mountings. Cheap at under £85 for the OMP item they used and it looked rather nice in red even if it doesn't do much else :cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought a strut brace from the John Cooper Motorsport site some time ago for my 04 MCS. Dont know if this is the same as the JCW part though - I noticed the brace wasnt advertised on the site recently.

I have fitted strut braces on almost every car I've owned and they always have a positive effect in my opinion. I fitted front and rear strut braces to my quite highly tuned Renault 5 GT Turbo and that stiffened the car up a lot - the little French pocket rocket always was a bit flimsy!

I took the brace off the other month when my car went back to the dealer for its first service. To me the car felt wayward and loose and seemed to lose some accuracy in the steering. I wasnt trying to notice the difference it just occurred to me as I was driving the car that it felt weird. I do have Eibachs as well (couldnt take those off but dealer didnt mention anything...) but I fitted the brace before the springs and still felt it made a worthwile improvement.

I also think they look well 'ard! Hope that helps...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone bought one yet and know how much they cost fitted?

Tempted to get myself one :D

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
A well designed and extremly rigid S' brace will definately improve handling,most noticable
under very hard braking,which will require less steering correction as the chassis twists
less. The problem is hardly any strutbraces out there IMHO are worth having;they wont hurt
anything,but wont help either. They may look pretty ,but thats about it . We produce
a strutbrace for the Audi TT of incredible spec & rigidity called 'GTT Aerobox Chassis Brace' . I can demonstrate to anyone in one very hasty straight line braking from say 100 down to 20mph the difference it makes . All you have to do is watch the steering wheel
as I brake, without the brace I need to correct (steer left &right) a lot more. :eek:
Regards Roland Gt Tuning

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
A word of caution !

If anyone out there has a JCW Strut Brace, please check thet the fixing nuts on the suspension towers are NOT the original nuts. The JCW strut brace should only be fitted with longer "top hat" style nuts which allow the whole stud/bolt length to be used and the correct torque applied.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts