MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any detailed information regarding the works suspinsion will be greatly appreciated, maybe some of you lucky guys living in u.k have already installed the suspension or tested cars with the setup. I have heard they will be available in the u.s. sometimes in november............thanks

·
JCW No. 1459
869 Posts
I have asked JCW similar questions directly ... response as follows ...

The springs are progressive and there are three option off springs depending on spec off car. ie weight.
The damper units have been revalved to give a better ride and more stable at high speed.
There is no change to suspension alignment.
The installation time is 2 hours.
The clearance at the front is lowered by am only.
The recommended wheel offset is as standard BMW.

I'm following this up with the local MINI dealership because they have quoted be 4.5 installation time :rolleyes:

Would be good to get some feedback from someone who actually has the kit installed

·
Registered
413 Posts
Even 2 hours is a joke, should be 1 hour!

If the geometry is the same i'm presuming it doesn't actually lower the car at all? Have they released details of how much poundage is at the start and end of spring travel (and whats OEM) ??

Do JCW blank refuse to sell you the stuff if you don't get it fitted with them or they get an order on your behalf from the dealer?

Thanks

-Rob

·
JCW No. 1459
869 Posts
The kit is supposed to lower the car by approx 10mm ... the comment regarding geometry was in response to my question as to whether there where any changes to camber ... there are no camber changes as part of the kit

I didn't even bother asking about spring rates as I (maybe incorrectly) assumed that JCW would not readily disclose that sort of detail ... happy to be corrected

As for fitting ... I would suspect (yet to be confirmed) that the only way warranty would stay intact is if the kit is fitted by a BMW approved installer ... a la BMW/MINI dealership :rolleyes: to be honest you can understand their logic ... but I don't understand a 2.5 hour difference in installation time (JCW actually said their race team does the whole thing in 45 minutes :p )

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
warped said:
I have asked JCW similar questions directly ... response as follows ...

The springs are progressive and there are three option off springs depending on spec off car. ie weight.
The damper units have been revalved to give a better ride and more stable at high speed.
There is no change to suspension alignment.
The installation time is 2 hours.
The clearance at the front is lowered by am only.
The recommended wheel offset is as standard BMW.

I'm following this up with the local MINI dealership because they have quoted be 4.5 installation time :rolleyes:

Would be good to get some feedback from someone who actually has the kit installed
good info..............regarding wheel offset, did you ask if a none standard offset is ok, i.e aftermarket wheels?

·
JCW No. 1459
869 Posts
Davislove3rd said:
good info..............regarding wheel offset, did you ask if a none standard offset is ok, i.e aftermarket wheels?
JCW's response on wheel offset was in direct response to my question regarding after market wheels (I have 17" OZ Racing Superturismo GTs) ... I doubt that I'm going to get much more of a response from them on this one though ...

Given the car is only lowered by 10mm and there are no fundamental changes to the suspension geometry its probably a pretty safe bet that most aftermarket wheels that fit standard MCS suspension will be OK ... but if your on the border with either offset or width you could end up with rubbing :rolleyes:

I deliberately chose the Superturismo's due to the fact that they are TUV approved for the MINI with a 44 offset, and I also went with OEM tyre sizes to minimise the chance ... probably overly cautious but better safe than sorry ;)

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
warped said:
JCW's response on wheel offset was in direct response to my question regarding after market wheels (I have 17" OZ Racing Superturismo GTs) ... I doubt that I'm going to get much more of a response from them on this one though ...

Given the car is only lowered by 10mm and there are no fundamental changes to the suspension geometry its probably a pretty safe bet that most aftermarket wheels that fit standard MCS suspension will be OK ... but if your on the border with either offset or width you could end up with rubbing :rolleyes:

I deliberately chose the Superturismo's due to the fact that they are TUV approved for the MINI with a 44 offset, and I also went with OEM tyre sizes to minimise the chance ... probably overly cautious but better safe than sorry ;)
good move :)

·
Oh what fun the JCW's is
84 Posts
Any news on JCW Suspension?? Any one got it?
:confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello,
I have a Cooper, how much my cooper will be lowered ?
I am thinking to get these JCW suspensions but do you think it will be much better to drive ? I know it will be less comfortable, but if the drive is much better I will order this kit.
Maybe I should add a rear sway bar ? What do you think ?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Installed today and thrashed this evening!

Improved ride quality coupled with less roll, dive and squat on 17" rims fitted with runflats (cornering speeds now at ludicrous levels - might need the Works seats as well!)

Really very, very good... :D

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Mike Edwards said:
Installed today and thrashed this evening!

Improved ride quality coupled with less roll, dive and squat on 17" rims fitted with runflats (cornering speeds now at ludicrous levels - might need the Works seats as well!)

Really very, very good... :D

Improved ride, less roll, dive and squat on 17'' and runflats. Sounds like you've had your cake AND eaten it :eek: :D .
What make of runflats are you on , and did you get it done at your dealer or JCG ?.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Dunlops.

Done at a dealership, but not convinced they've got the geometry quite right as car drifts to the left (a bit like pulling - only less severe), the steering wheel is no longer completely central, and the geometry printout shows that while everything else is spot-on, the -ve camber on the left wheels is on the high side, while that on the right is low enough to be borderline/outside on the tolerances. :rolleyes:

I'll give it a week to settle down 1st before I go moaning.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts