MINI Cooper Forum banner

61 - 80 of 158 Posts

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
Wait a few more months - Swiper won't depreciate quite as fast as it has been, you'll get a blue one in a few months' time, and I won't feel all lonely and left out when it comes to playing the "waiting game".

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
Wait a few more months - Swiper won't depreciate quite as fast as it has been, you'll get a blue one in a few months' time, and I won't feel all lonely and left out when it comes to playing the "waiting game".
I am waiting too...I am not keen on the four available colours and I am waiting to see if there is any talk of a mild facelift when the convertible appears......:eek:

·
338 Posts
I have a feeling that most of the facelift parts will be irrelevant with the JCW bodykit fitted. I can't remember anything particularly significant in the R52 facelift that was above the bumper line.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Talking of depreciation - they have offered me £10,500 for Swiper against the works I specced at £25000, so that leaves me with £15000 to find!

I paid £18,200 for Swiper two and a half years ago (he is well specced and has only done 11000 miles! ) so I was expecting a bit more than £10,500. Do you think I am being ripped off VC?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi mini5lover

Thats a low offer for your car

I personally think you will get a few hundred more if you push and shop around but you are better off waiting until you hold more of the negotiating cards so to speak.

The dealer is in a very strong position right now.

He is selling a desirable new model with all the assocaited great press coverage and the fact that there will be many people eager to be one of the first to own it.

They will have seen the peoples smiling faces as they have completed their test drives and in some cases (I am not suggesting you) the emotion of the shiny new purchase clouds their better judgement.(I have been there with the old model and spent 5k more than I intended)

Plus they must have quite a few old Cooper S and Cooper S Works being offered as trade in right now so these older models will be harder to shift and take a temp hit in value.

Might be worth waiting for a few months and even January when times are tougher for them and the novelty of owning the new model is starting to decline and they have to try harder

Then you might get a much better offer

Then again life is short !

regards

Antony

·
338 Posts
Talking of depreciation - they have offered me £10,500 for Swiper against the works I specced at £25000, so that leaves me with £15000 to find!

I paid £18,200 for Swiper two and a half years ago (he is well specced and has only done 11000 miles! ) so I was expecting a bit more than £10,500. Do you think I am being ripped off VC?
Lord knows. I'm taking the KY jelly with me when it comes to trade-in time on my car, expecting a proper shafting! But seriously, an £8k hit on a car with just 11k miles on it does look a bit much. Though it is the old model, and right now I don't think they're having an easy time shifting cars (second-hand *or* new). Have you looked in the usual places to see how much you might get on a private sale?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had a test drive on Saturday, motorway and local roads.

Felt quicker than my R56 S but maybe not by as much as I was expecting, it has only done 65 miles though so still tight.

I have LSD and steering less twitchy then mine so probably better everyday.

If I get another Mini then it'll be a JCW, only downside as others have said is at £26k specced up there are plenty more rivals.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi mini5lover

Thats a low offer for your car

I personally think you will get a few hundred more if you push and shop around but you are better off waiting until you hold more of the negotiating cards so to speak.

The dealer is in a very strong position right now.

He is selling a desirable new model with all the assocaited great press coverage and the fact that there will be many people eager to be one of the first to own it.

They will have seen the peoples smiling faces as they have completed their test drives and in some cases (I am not suggesting you) the emotion of the shiny new purchase clouds their better judgement.(I have been there with the old model and spent 5k more than I intended)

Plus they must have quite a few old Cooper S and Cooper S Works being offered as trade in right now so these older models will be harder to shift and take a temp hit in value.

Might be worth waiting for a few months and even January when times are tougher for them and the novelty of owning the new model is starting to decline and they have to try harder

Then you might get a much better offer

Then again life is short !

regards

Antony
I am still angry at such a low offer, we have bought 3 minis from this dealer already!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a test drive in the new JCW on Saturday and really liked it. I reckon with the spec I want it would come out at just over £24,000

What I didn't like was the trade in value on my April 2006 MCS JCW. I spent £24,000 on that in April 2006 (JCW kit;JCW brakes;Chilli;full aero kit; full leather;tints;Harmon Kardon;Xenons;web-spoke alloys). It has done 9,000 miles and they offered me £11,000 trade in. Even the salesman said I should sell it privately !

I am seriosly wondering if buying a new high spec JCW is worth it.

rabbit

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I had a test drive in the new JCW on Saturday and really liked it. I reckon with the spec I want it would come out at just over £24,000

What I didn't like was the trade in value on my April 2006 MCS JCW. I spent £24,000 on that in April 2006 (JCW kit;JCW brakes;Chilli;full aero kit; full leather;tints;Harmon Kardon;Xenons;web-spoke alloys). It has done 9,000 miles and they offered me £11,000 trade in. Even the salesman said I should sell it privately !

rabbit
You should keep it. Sounds nice.

·
Registered
566 Posts

rabbit
Oh my god, I thought I was badly off! I guess I got offered £10,500 because of my buying three minis already, as I only paid £18,200 for Swiper, so you would be losing sooo much more than me! I am not ordering one now, I am keeping Swiper, at least for the foreseeable future, I cant afford to pay out £15000 and is it really worth it?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mini5lover

yes I will try and sell it privately and if I can get nearer to £16 k i will go for the new car, otherwise I will hang onto this for another year at least.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi rabbit

I have almost exactly the same car as you in terms of spec and age and I really think
getting near £16k will be unlikely.

I was told privately that £13-14k might be possible but even then you are up against the credit crunch, price of petrol and dealer cars who are dropping their rates fast and providing a warranty and general piece of mind.

Like minilover I am resigned to keeping the car for at least another year as changing now will expose me to a double hit

If you kept your current car another 18 months you would probably only lose another 2-3k over
what you have been offered now .

And you probably will be able to pick up an 18 months old new model for £16k then and let someone else take a hit for a change

regards

Antonymark

·
Now Aero Kitted!
330 Posts
I enquired about a JCW swapping in my Dec 06 R56 S, the car is well specced with aero kit, lounge leather, bluetooth, sunroof , ant headling bla bla bla with 16k on the clock i got offered 13.5k - I almost choked! :eek:I payed nearly 22k in March last year! who said MINIs hold their value?!
I love my current car so it's not too painful having to keep it....But i do Want a JCW..Oh well one day! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
antonyc31

yes unfortunately i think you are correct. Think i will stick with the "boneshaker" for another year.

rabbit

·
Registered
47 Posts
God sounds like anyone looking for a 2005/2006 S or S Works is going to be getting a great bargain as sounds like there will be quite a few for sale soon

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
I have a feeling that most of the facelift parts will be irrelevant with the JCW bodykit fitted. I can't remember anything particularly significant in the R52 facelift that was above the bumper line.
The most important change at the faceliftt last time was to the dash - both what you can see & what you can't
I hope & pray the dash gets some attention on the 2nd gen facelift

·
Registered
65 Posts
I enquired about a JCW swapping in my Dec 06 R56 S, the car is well specced with aero kit, lounge leather, bluetooth, sunroof , ant headling bla bla bla with 16k on the clock i got offered 13.5k - I almost choked! :eek:I payed nearly 22k in March last year! who said MINIs hold their value?!
I love my current car so it's not too painful having to keep it....But i do Want a JCW..Oh well one day! :rolleyes:
The problem is that we all spec our cars to too high a level. I have learnt the hard way that expensive options like full leather and non visible options like Bluetooth, DSC, folding mirrors, cruise, lsd, voice recognition, climate and heated seats add little to the resale value.

The optimum is the Chili Pack and then the minimum you need to make it liveable. As I say I have learnt the hard way with over £5k of options worth very little on resale. That said wouldnt it be boring if we all had basic flat paint non-Chili Pack MINIs. In reality our desire for options masks in the price guides the depreciation the average well optioned MINI really suffers.

Also the contributors to this site seem to cover such low annual mileages. That increases the cost of depreciation in pence per mile terms. I can take an 18 month hit more easily if my car has done 70k miles than if it has only done 10k miles. Sure the 10,000 miler is worth much more but at 15p per mile an 18 mth old car with 70k miles has lost £10.5k whilst the 10,000 miler will have lost at least £4k equivalent 40p per mile.

61 - 80 of 158 Posts