MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard Mini Cooper S and its almost exactly how I want it interior and exterior wise.

Now for the engine!

Keen to keep it mini/JCW kit rather than aftermarket stuff.

Really interested in the JCW upgrade to 210 bhp, anyone know where will supply and fit the cheapest?

I was told to expect somewhere around £3500

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Check out Woodmans in the sponsors directory, they are generally the cheapest;) But yes £3500 is the average price for having it fitted in my experience.

But many will ask why you want to put this expensive kit on a used car, how long you going to keep it? How many miles have you done? How much warranty do you have etc?

As a GTT kit will be a lot cheaper or you can get more bhp for your money from them;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, its a difficult decision.

I have an 05 reg which has only done 18k miles. I live in London so I wanted a nice (reasonably rapid) car which at the same time doesnt cost an absolute fortune to keep and I can sleep at night knowing its parked on the street. I can see myself keeping it for the next 2-3 years.

Its niggling at me. The spec is as I want it if I was speccing the car from new except for the engine upgrade. I know I could move up to a used JCW for less than it costs to do the upgrade but I wont get the interior spec I have, which is pretty much everything.

To a certain extent, the money isnt the motivating factor.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Don't envy you, as my heart would be saying the same in your shoes, get the JCW conversion, keep it all original, but then my head would say well you'll be out of warranty soon, so why not go with someone else?:eek:

Maybe a halfway house would be to go here: MINI Motorsport Centre

They used to work at John Cooper Garages, might be able to do the JCW conversion for less, or offer something else to you;)

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Why not search around on fleabay etc to buy JCW parts second hand. There are lots of folks selling JCW superchargers, pulleys, airboxes, injectors and Gp intercoolers... keeps that JCW looks, costs less, etc ... then take the parts to a reputable company like ThinkMINI, 1320, GTT etc etc and ask them to fit it all for you. I'll bet that the price will be far less than 3500 fitted. The JCW map is often found to be a bit lacking in quality and many of the folks who run big numbers actually use or revert to the stock BMW S map or a custom tune like GTT or RMW

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I have the following JCW parts:

JCW Motorsport Intake*
JCW 380cc Injectors*
JCW GP Intercooler
JCW Exhaust System

That cost around £1250 Fitted. I didn't want the JCW cylinder head as its just a slightly polished standard one (saving my cash for a big valve head).

What you need is a 15% or 17% reduction pulley (the one in the JCW conversion is a new charger (same as yours but new) with a 11% reduction. The bigger the reduction the higher the boost pressure) I went 15% just to be safe.

Following that a RMW exhaust Header/Manifold (or Janspeed if on the cheap).

Then for the biggy.... The RMW "Jesus" Big Valve Cylinder head (Dyno, Drag Strip and Dyno proven) approx £1999 USD and some bigger 440cc (?) injectors.

After this you should be looking at over 260bhp for less or the same as a £3500 "JCW 210" conversion (... which is it turns out barely make 200bhp on the dyno), a stock (JCW) looking engine bay and a very fast sleeper. Mine is pictured, the badges are original but £40 off ebay for front and rear ;)

Where are you based?

* Can be bought as the "210" Upgrade kit for older JCW cars

Attachments

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Batou has given you the advice I would give;)

I wanted the works kit on my car but for £3.5K it is overpriced for what you get. I bought all the JCW bits (JCW airbox,exhaust,injectors,GP intercooler,JCW map,Spark plugs etc) and just fitted a 15% pluley to the S/C and was hitting 225bhp.

These parts can be found brand new/used on ebay (got all mine from there) for a fraction of the cost BMW would charge. The JCW head is not worth the money as it is basically stock with exhaust port polished.

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
That is very schweet Batou.... I like your style man!

I bought a JCW already converted, and my problem is the sacrilige I feel at the thought of butchering it :eek: :p

Oh and the fact that I'm a puddler :D If I were doing the same again tho, I would definitely think about the route Batou has gone tho, and not the JCW route (Lets hope Lucky Dave doesn't read this) ;) :p :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

I bought a JCW already converted, and my problem is the sacrilige I feel at the thought of butchering it :eek: :p

Oh and the fact that I'm a puddler :D If I were doing the same again tho, I would definitely think about the route Batou has gone tho, and not the JCW route (Lets hope Lucky Dave doesn't read this) ;) :p :D :D :D :D
:aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh::aargh:

I think I just fell over !!

I must go and have a sit down and read my book of heritage. :wink::biggrin:

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts

Haha :D

I wouldn't say its butchering it, i'd put it more like giving it the lease of life it always deserved :D;)

I'm still short the "Jesus" cylinder head and custom tune on my car but since joining here I've kept a very close eye on JawF430's spec hehe ;)

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Haha :D

I wouldn't say its butchering it, i'd put it more like giving it the lease of life it always deserved :D;)

I'm still short the "Jesus" cylinder head and custom tune on my car but since joining here I've kept a very close eye on JawF430's spec hehe ;)

:aargh: I should start charging!! lol my spec = best bang for buck:biggrin:;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts