MINI Cooper Forum banner

JCW v JCW

4K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Darth Mini 
#1 ·
I just did this to show that the factory JCW is good value.... if you want the spec!!!

Factrory JCW Chilli Standard
JCW Aero Kit
JCW Brakes
Bluetooth
Auto AC
Darkened Rear Glass
Anthracite Roof Lining
TOTAL: £22,645

Cooper S JCW Chilli (matching standard options on JCW)
Bluetooth £295
Auto AC £230
Darkened Rear Glass £120
Anthracite Roof Lining £115
TOTAL: £19,025
+ The JCW Bits
JCW Stage 1 Kit £1395
JCW Aero Kit £1050
JCW Brakes £1225
TOTAL: £22,695

Thats £50 more than the factory JCW car!

(All Prices are fitted using Woodmans as a guide)

See less See more
#8 ·
Of course if you compare the factory JCW with a standard Cooper S fitted with all of the necessary accesories to make it the same, the factory JCW will work out as better value.

Similarly, if you pick any Mercedes model, and proceed to add all of the bits and pieces to turn it into the AMG version in the same class, then shock, horror and stop press, the actual AMG model will turn out to be cheaper.

Just because an actual factory JCW works out cheaper than taking a Cooper S and adding all of the JCW pieces, DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE JCW IS A GOOD VALUE CAR. It is, quite clearly a rip-off, when you consider the real issue here - how much more do you think it costs BMW to make the JCW MINI than the standard Cooper S? Answer: peanuts. How much do they charge extra: a ridiculous amount. Here, we have the text-book definition of a rip-off.

The factory JCW may appear cheap to someone who simply must have the best MINI at any cost, but it is in no way good value. The thing doesn't even come with foglights as standard. Come on guys!

The rule is, was and always will be that the best value car in the range is the entry level model, and the top model is the worst value. I am not in any way suggesting that everyone should just buy the entry level model - I myself have a highly specced MINI, and I'm adding the JCW bodykit this week - but every option I have chosen is good value. The law of diminishing returns comes into play here - for every extra option you add to your car, the amount by which each additional accessory improves the car diminishes. The aim of the game is to just add an amount of optional extras that doesn't throw economics and common sense out the window. In car TV/SAT NAV for instance - ridiculous option. You'll never get the money back at resale time...

The JCW MINI may be a lot more expensive than the standard Cooper S at the moment, but watch its value drop like a stone - expecially in these times. Good value? You must be joking!

#9 ·
I see what you're saying here but I can't agree entirely.
If you want all the bells n whistles then the factory JCW is the one to go for but the most beautiful thing about the MINI, the thing we all love, is the ability to have exactly what you want.
I, for example, have no need of the brake kit , bluetooth and, because of access to my house, couldn't have the aerokit without it being spread all over the road. So a JCW was not for me. I did want the extra umph of the tuning kit for the occasional thrill. Hence the MCS with JCW Tuning.
There's no right and wrong here, JCW is good vfm if its what you want, but an expensive luxury if not.

#10 ·
Is the JCW a good value car compared with an MCS? probably not, is the MCS a good value car compared with a standard cooper? No... However look at an Audi A4 - is that £4K more of a car than a VW Passat or £10K more than a Skoda Octavia? Not even close... The question shouldn't be anything to with value as NO cars above £12000 IMO are good value - manufacturers use DESIRABILITY to sell cars as that is generally what people who want a new car look for in a car! It does annoy me when people compare models and say they aren't good value, because if you look at the bigger picture - if you wanted a good value car you'd buy a korean car with an amazing warranty deal and it'd be problem free for 5years!!

Just to finish off my little rant about value - it costs around £20000 for ferrari to strip the carpet out of an F430 and fit some ceramic brakes... now that is poor value for you! Manufacturers will estimate how many customers will fall for a car and they price a car accordingly - Mini never wanted the JCW to be a best seller because of course they still want customers for the One, Cooper and Cooper S models.

If you don't think the JCW fits to your budget, or if it isn't desirable to you - DON'T BUY ONE!

#11 ·
MINI&MERCGUY I don't think you read my post, it did say and I quote "if you want the spec".

Its people that make posts like yours put me and others off this forum. Your post was full of negativity and lacked any real factual information. Which is unlike my original post when I spent my own time working out the facts about the figures that might help other people.

#16 ·
Sorry - but you're not making much sense here.

What Popey did was to spec out a basic JCW + Chilli Pack, the spec out an MCS + Chilli Pack to the same level but using the Stage 1 kit. Based on that the MCS was actually MORE than the JCW by fifty quid.

Sounds to me like MINI did their homework on this one. For those of us who want the ultimate performance (factory spec) MINI then it's the route to go.

#17 ·
For the record the JCW tunining kit and extras used to be available for less, I'd guess with the credit crunch and all you get them even cheaper now, especially if you wanted to spec them with a new car sale.

It's all a bit pointless discussing it though isn't it? The products are not aimed at the same people really.

The factory car is for anyone who wants the top of the range model and is happy to pay for it. The tuning kit existed first as the top of the range and now the factory version has appeared it's a good solution for MCS owners wishing for a bit more performance plus factory warranty for their existing cars. Or as already mentioned on here for people buying an MCS with no need or want for the additional features.

I don't think anyone ever said the tuning kit was a better deal if you wanted the exact same spec as the factory version???

For what it's worth I also don't see anything wrong with MINI&MERCGUY posts, he is just expressing an opinion... If that makes you not want to visit the forum that's sad.

#18 ·
For what it's worth I also don't see anything wrong with MINI&MERCGUY posts, he is just expressing an opinion... If that makes you not want to visit the forum that's sad.
I agree, MINI&MERCGUY is only as anti JCW as Popey is pro JCW. We all have varying views. The factory JCW if i were speccing a new mini, and you could ditch the bloody awful body kit:hmph: would be my choice. As it is i have driven the demo and my modified stage 1................i'm happy:D

Don't get drawn into the mods to the factory JCW. What they claim they change and what they actually do, are two different things. For eg. the airbox is simply the std. USA spec box, not designed for the JCW. The turbo is NOT bigger, but merely a new compressor wheel. The clutch is not upgraded..............see RealOEM for proof.

Reactions: MINI&MERCGUY
#19 ·
MINI&MERCGUY's basic point is completely sound; if you want the best value from a car, set your budget and buy the most basic car from the best maufacturer that fits your budget. It's the same for most products; take washing machines - you're better off with the most basic model from a good manufacturer than the top-of-the-range electronic whatsitfeature model from a budget manufacturer.

In my case (and with most other people) "value" isn't the most important factor, though. The visual appeal, fun factor, added features and other intangibles mean that we'd rather not buy the lowest spec car. I'd rather have a tricked-out MINI JCW than a 2L diesel 3-series with no extras whatsoever, yet both cars cost the same and one is undoubtedly better value than the other.

#20 ·
I just dont see how all the negative coments on the thread add to the MINI2 experiance:confused:.

Im Pro MINI not just Pro JCW. All I did was put the facts in place with regards to the price in a clear and easy to understand format.

I used the Woodmans MINI2 offers as a guide price for all the JCW upgrades. I also notice that a lot of the JCW bashing is done by R56 S owners..... mmmmm.:eek:

#21 ·
Just because someone else doesn't always agree with another doesn't make it a negative view. Debate or alternative views is what makes a forum. As stated i have the tuning kit JCW but if i were speccing from new i'd have the factory JCW, i'm not that bothered about price as no MINI is cheap. Anybody looking at some of your posts may think you're slagging the tuning kit JCW. I don't think you are, but it's a view:smile:

MINI is all about choice............................and options......................expensive options:D

#23 ·
I think this is a case of never the twain shall meet.
The mcs with kit owners do seem to always say that their cars are better than the JCW.
If they dont want one thats fine but there is no need to keep saying they are better.
If you mod your car you lose a lot, ie warranty voids, resale not good as people think they are thrashed, that is apart from the money spent on the car.
But this is just another them versus us thing and will always be so.
I dont think Popey wanted this to turn into an argument he was just stating facts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.