MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Black eye and topless
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any head to head or direct experience comparison between the Dinan and JCW upgrades for the MCS? :confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Black eye and topless
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm with you Drummer, hoping for a true comparison between the two, and not just anecdotal experience with the Dinan kits.

·
Motorer
69 Posts
well the dinan s2 package and the jcw is about the same price. the dinan puts out 205hp @7000 and 180lbs @4500 with stage 3 suspension upgrades. the jcw kit (dealer kit) gives you 207hp (US form) @6950 and 180lbs @4500. the specs are close, but i bet the jcw kit offers the smoothest power delivery over the rpm range. things to think about- dinan comes with koni yellows and dinan springs as part of the suspension kit, but they don't change the cylinder head so you can go aftermarket for bigger hp gains. the jcw kit gets those figures with thier own cylinder head and they don't change the suspension or brakes (dealer kit) so you have the freedom to change those to whatever you like. sorry i don't have experience with either kit, but i hope that info helps

·
Registered
79 Posts
crazyaboutmini said:
well the dinan s2 package and the jcw is about the same price. the dinan puts out 205hp @7000 and 180lbs @4500 with stage 3 suspension upgrades. the jcw kit (dealer kit) gives you 207hp (US form) @6950 and 180lbs @4500. the specs are close, but i bet the jcw kit offers the smoothest power delivery over the rpm range. things to think about- dinan comes with koni yellows and dinan springs as part of the suspension kit, but they don't change the cylinder head so you can go aftermarket for bigger hp gains. the jcw kit gets those figures with thier own cylinder head and they don't change the suspension or brakes (dealer kit) so you have the freedom to change those to whatever you like. sorry i don't have experience with either kit, but i hope that info helps
Thanks. That's a good head to head comparison. My only question is the suspension/brake reference. I ordered the JCW Kit factory option ($6300.00) and my understanding is it includes upgraded:
  • cylinder head
  • injectors
  • CAI
  • supercharger
  • smaller pulley
  • spark plugs
  • brakes
  • std limited slip differential
  • exhaust (not sure if it's a performance upgrade or appearance only)
  • engine software
I don't know how the prices compare to doing it all after market, or the driving performance comparison would be. Might be a good project for Motoring File? Are you saying the upgraded brakes are installed by the dealer? Seems it would be easier to do it at the factory.

·
Motorer
69 Posts
no, i was thinking you already have the car and your just getting the JCW kit. :D my mistake... well yeah the factory kit adds the brakes and the LSD on top of the dealer kit and they are all installed at the factory. that $6300 is also paying for warranty on those parts from every MINI dealer. but only the dealers who are authorized dinan dealers will carry the dinan warranty. If you driven "M" cars or Dinan cars before, then your going to be happy with either kit. if not then just drive the JCW or Dinan cars and see if your happy with the way they perform... if you crave more, then go aftermarket on top of the JCW or Dinan parts or go just completely aftermarket for more gains. note- buying aftermarket parts are cheaper but if your having them installed by a shop then its going to cost (cus of labor) much of the same unless your a DIY kinda guy.
PS- Webbmotorsports has a performance package that is warrantied by them, but not the dealers.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
crazyaboutmini said:
well the dinan s2 package and the jcw is about the same price. the dinan puts out 205hp @7000 and 180lbs @4500 with stage 3 suspension upgrades. the jcw kit (dealer kit) gives you 207hp (US form) @6950 and 180lbs @4500.
The engine tuning kit bits in the Dinan S2 package (Stage 5 Engine Software, Boost Upgrade System, High Flow Cowl Induction Intake, High Flow Throttle Body, Free Flow Exhaust) can be purchased separately for $2845, while the dealer installed JCW Kit lists at $4775.

You can't really compare the factory installed JCW Package with any package offered by Dinan as they contain different bits.

·
Motorer
69 Posts
well you can compare the jcw factory package to the dinan s2 package because they are both packages that consists more than engine upgrades. plus the fact they are the only two packages that dealers, well most dealers, keep the warranty. and yes most of those dealers work on dinan warranty. if one wants to keep the warranty, then this is a pretty good comparison. both make 205hp-207hp and 180lbs of torque different ways, but essentaily are pretty even. yeah its apples to oranges, but M5 and CLS 55 is apples to oranges and those two are in comparisons in a whole a lot US car mags. they are sport sedans as the jcw package and the dinan package are dealer warrantied sport packages.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Comparing apples to apples ...

JCW:
Code:
[font=courier new][size=2]
        Item              Parts + Labor       
---------------------     -------------     
Package                   6,300     0.0     [u][ Piecemeal ][/u]
    Engine Tuning Kit                       4,775    11.5 
    Brake Kit                               1,065     3.5         
    LSD                                       500     0.0                      
Suspension Kit              945     5.0
Strut Brace                 320     0.5
Floor Mats                  164     0.0
                          -----    ----
Totals                    7,729     5.5
[/size][/font]
Dinan:
Code:
[font=courier new][size=2]
        Item              Parts + Labor     
---------------------     -------------     
Package                   4,880    19.0     [u][ Piecemeal ][/u]
    Engine Tuning Kit                       2,845    10.0 
    Suspension Kit                          1,636     9.4         
    Strut Brace                               249     0.5
    Floor Mats                                150     0.0
Brake Kit                 2,195     2.6
LSD                         500     0.0
                          -----    ----
Totals                    7,575    21.6
[/size][/font]
Engine Tuning Kit Comparison

JCW produces 207 hp @ 6950 rpm 180 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm with a supercharger reduction pulley, ECU remap, cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, "polished" cylinder head, larger fuel injectors and colder spark plugs.

Dinan produces 205 hp @ 7000 rpm 180 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm with a supercharger reduction pulley, ECU remap, cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, larger throttle body and modified fuel pressure regulators.

Brake Kit Comparison

JCW includes internally ventilated 294mm rotors for the front, red floating brake calipers for the front (improved caliper construction in comparison to standard brake), brake pads integrated in the front calipers with enlarged brake pad surface area and enhanced performance and rear brake pads with enhanced performance.

Dinan [Brembo "Gran Tursimo"] front brake conversion includes 320mm slotted rotors with aluminum hats, black or red 4-piston aluminum calipers with spec pads and Goodrich stainless steel brake lines.

Suspension Kit Comparison

JCW includes stiffer springs and customized shocks with a shorter piston rod and a special control valve assembly.

Dinan includes performance springs, Koni adjustable struts and shocks, 19mm adjustable rear sway bar and front camber plates.

·
MINI Convert
66 Posts
Excellent summary MINIAC. Now, if you assume performance is equal, which I do not, and that you do the JCW work ala carte (after factory production), cost is essentially the same. The trade-offs:
JCW stuff can be installed and is warranteed by any MINI dealer, and IMO is more well known worldwide (not important if you stay put).

DINAN brakes are superior and their suspension upgrade includes a larger rear sway bar and camber plates, both of which are necessary to more neutral handling from a front driver.

BTW, not to confuse, inveigle and obfuscate, replacement nuts for the respective strut braces as priced at the same dealer during the same visit, are $36 for a set of 6 from JCW and $120 for a set of 10 from DINAN. This can make a difference if one insists on removing their brace each time a mod requires work under the bonnet.

After all this, you'd think I'd be gung ho for DINAN. Actually, I'm waiting for the JCW tuning upgrade for the auto - DINAN does not offer a full package for my needs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
MINIAC, crazyaboutmini and WEEGIT: My sincere thanks for your inputs. Well thought out and researched. Regards from the Pacific Northwest!
Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jcw

Just an additional remark. Although the output of the two upgrades are similar also heat development under the hood should be looked at. An average gasoline engine has a yield of approx. 28%. This means that some 378kW is unused heat which is coming free in a rather small engine bay. JCW have for this reason replaced the compressor by a larger coated type.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Rick38 said:
JCW have for this reason replaced the compressor by a larger coated type.
Other than pulley size there is no difference between the JCW and current OEM supercharger. Rather than risk damage to the supercharger that may occur by replacing the stock interference fit pulley with a smaller one, the whole supercharger is swapped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
DINAN also adds a CAM replacement with levels out the power curve and boosts the HP to 209. Also the JCW CAI has a flap that opens at 4500 rpm, with the flap closed it is not a cold air intake, so the advantage to the cai is not realized until the 4500 rpm mark.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
howardholton said:
... the JCW CAI has a flap that opens at 4500 rpm, with the flap closed it is not a cold air intake, so the advantage to the cai is not realized until the 4500 rpm mark.
Any intake gets mosts of its air from the duct located in the grill.

Perhaps extra air from the cowl area isn't required until higher RPM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In 4 days BLKDINAN will receive the final conversion and will be sporting the S2 numbered plaque. While watching the threads it seems that some are installing various DINAN bits but I don't get a sense that there are a lot of S2 MINI owners out there! Please dispell the myth and announce yourselves. I'd like to hear from you. Roll call.

·
Fanatically Enthiusiastic
1,176 Posts
Other than pulley size there is no difference between the JCW and current OEM supercharger. Rather than risk damage to the supercharger that may occur by replacing the stock interference fit pulley with a smaller one, the whole supercharger is swapped.
There used to be a difference, in that pre-'06 'S' didn't have a teflon-coated supercharger and the JCW did/does. Now all '06 'S' models have the coated SC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I delivered the MINI to the dealership today for the remaining modification for the DINAN S2designation. I took the opportunity to ask if there were other MINI DINAN S2 conversions and apparently this the only one in the Province. I'd still like to hear from S2 owners south, maybe Washington, Oregon, California or perhaps Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba......Are there any MINI DINAN S2 owners out there?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts