MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Unwilling Participant
2 Posts
dinan

I delivered the MINI to the dealership today for the remaining modification for the DINAN S2designation. I took the opportunity to ask if there were other MINI DINAN S2 conversions and apparently this the only one in the Province. I'd still like to hear from S2 owners south, maybe Washington, Oregon, California or perhaps Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba......Are there any MINI DINAN S2 owners out there?
Have you completed the DINAN conversion? I'm getting ready to order a new MCS with the S2 package, would you mind sharing any new info or opinions on the car.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The S 2 conversion has been done and the S2 numbered plaque is affixed S20688. I've had the car on a track day and it handled beautifully. Acceleration was on par with JCW vehilces. I did not get the brake conversion as I have Hamonn whels and it seems to be quite a chore so far to get answeres as to whether or not the Brembo kit will fit. You have made a great choice in your selection of options. If you have any questions send them my way. Sounds like you will be getting first hand experience with an S2 soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The S 2 conversion has been done and the S2 numbered plaque is affixed S20688. I've had the car on a track day and it handled beautifully. Acceleration was on par with JCW vehilces. I did not get the brake conversion as I have Hamonn whels and it seems to be quite a chore so far to get answeres as to whether or not the Brembo kit will fit. You have made a great choice in your selection of options. If you have any questions send them my way. Sounds like you will be getting first hand experience with an S2 soon.
Blkdinan, are you still happy with the conversion? Also, what does the plaque represent? Only the engine modification or the suspension as well? I am thinking about going Dinan. What was your deciding factor? thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am very happy with the conversion. If you search the DINAN web site there is a good explanation of the S1 and S2 cars. I liked the idea that I could modify the car in accordance with the size of my wallet while the JCW conversion seemed to be all at once, more intrustive to the engine and more costly at the time. I had the S1 conversion done first which involved the intake, exhaust, stage 3 software, carbon fiber/aluminum strut, DINAN mats and hatch badge. I received a small S1 numbered plaque that the dealer affixed in the engine compartment with strict instructions that if the vehicle was in an accident the plaque had to be returned. (Tight security I guess). Those modifications resulted in an increase to 182 hp. This resulted is a great exhaust sound (much deeper than JCW) and ability to rev higher but no real sense of acceleration torque. The additional S2 conversion resulted in Stage 5 software, pulley, fuel system upgrade and larger throttle body. Also required was the suspension Stage 3 upgrade with koni shocks, anti-roll bar and negative camber plate front end. This resulted in 205 hp and a really torquey feeling until 7300 rpm. I decided not to get the cam shaft that would result in 209 hp as the price was too steep for little gain. The dealership took the S1 plaque back and affixed the S2 numbered plaque. I am trying to decide on the DINAN brake package which is a Brembo kit. Once again the best components are costly. With normal driving the standard brakes are good and JCW is also an option. If you can get a copy of the last MC2 magazine the JCW and DINAN packages are compared. The engines are about the same, the DINAN suspension is better and the Brembo brakes are the best. I like the idea that DINAN is rarer and as I approach 60,000km there have been no problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am trying to decide on the DINAN brake package which is a Brembo kit. Once again the best components are costly. With normal driving the standard brakes are good and JCW is also an option.
I'd definitely upgrade the brakes. It has made a big difference to my driving enjoyment. If I was to do it all over again, I'd upgrade my brakes before going with the JCW upgrade (which has been wonderful). My JCW brakes are quite soft in their application. I was a bit uneasy at first as the pedal went down almost to the carpet but they really do work well. Maybe, other brake upgrades have a different feel.

·
Uranus is composed of gas
3,507 Posts
This is probably going to sound absolutely ridiculous to you guys in here, but bear with me: I'm a girl and know very little about these aftermarket tuning kits.

I have a 2005 S and am very interested in having my MINI dealer install the JCW tuning kit because #1) I want the extra power, and #2) I want to extend my warranty as long as possible (currently at 21,000 miles).

Do you folks in here think it's worth the $6,000+ to have this done now or would it be better to just be satisfied with what I have, drive my S until it's no longer under warranty and suffer the consequences? I'm not all that impressed with the 2nd generation MINI and would like to keep my baby as long as possible and in the best shape possible, so I'm not interested in buying a new 2007 with JCW pre-installed.

Thanks for your input. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2005 S and am very interested in having my MINI dealer install the JCW tuning kit because #1) I want the extra power, and #2) I want to extend my warranty as long as possible (currently at 21,000 miles).

Do you folks in here think it's worth the $6,000+ to have this done now or would it be better to just be satisfied with what I have, drive my S until it's no longer under warranty and suffer the consequences?

It's a lot of cash but still cheaper than trading in your car. I upgraded to JCW about 18 months ago, and just love it. It's much more exciting to drive but also easy for relaxed cruising. I don't regret it for a minute, and it still puts a smile on my face whenever I go for a drive. :smile:

In my mind, the extra power highlighted the relatively poor standard brakes so I later upgraded those too.

·
Uranus is composed of gas
3,507 Posts
Well, maybe not cheaper :p Just got a quote from a local dealer that wants $12,700!!! Holy crap! Now THAT'S a lot of cash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That IS a lot of cash and your installer is behaving like there isn't any competition out there. Your MINI warantee will be covered by either MINI or DINAN so I'd suggest that the $ be your guide. For those who have have the JCW bake installation I would appreciate your comments on the results. The Brembo kit is very expensive here, in the US they are about $2,500, the JCW brakes are about half the price, so I'm shifting back and forth before I make the decision.

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
I installed the JCW brakes and found them brilliant. Wasnt going to bother as the standard ones seemed fine, then I went on a BMW driver training course and the JCW I drove had them. Ordered them the following day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your endorsement. Further research of the DINAN (Brembo) brakes left much doubt as to wether or not they would actually fit under my Hamman 17" wheels. I requested the JCW brakes today.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts