MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not happy at all. The offside is illegal I will have to sort it out tomorrow, nearside is also low but about 2mm left. Rears are like new.

I am not happy that a) they have worn out so quickly, and b) that the wear is so uneven.

I am convinced that the uneven wear is due to the steering rack limiter being fitted and (I think) the steering geomety / tracking not being re - set for the new wheels. I have not bumped the kerb or anything. My other half used to own tyre fitting workshops and he says this is the only explanation - but I cannot prove this to BMW in the morning.

I have got 30 000 miles on my last 2 sets of tyres (Jag XK8 - rear wheel muncher) and a Celica 190 (Front wheel muncher with no traction control), so 5K is totally unacceptable to me - mainly motorway use and no racing around corners / setting off.

So - do I replace all 4 tyres with cheap non runflats if the Mini is going to go through them so fast and sell my 2 rear Dunlops??

Anyone running 225/40/18 as these have been recommended to me by a local Tyre company??

Cheers
Vron

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Vron said:
Not happy at all. The offside is illegal I will have to sort it out tomorrow, nearside is also low but about 2mm left. Rears are like new.

I am not happy that a) they have worn out so quickly, and b) that the wear is so uneven.

I am convinced that the uneven wear is due to the steering rack limiter being fitted and (I think) the steering geomety / tracking not being re - set for the new wheels. I have not bumped the kerb or anything. My other half used to own tyre fitting workshops and he says this is the only explanation - but I cannot prove this to BMW in the morning.

I have got 30 000 miles on my last 2 sets of tyres (Jag XK8 - rear wheel muncher) and a Celica 190 (Front wheel muncher with no traction control), so 5K is totally unacceptable to me - mainly motorway use and no racing around corners / setting off.

So - do I replace all 4 tyres with cheap non runflats if the Mini is going to go through them so fast and sell my 2 rear Dunlops??

Anyone running 225/40/18 as these have been recommended to me by a local Tyre company??

Cheers
Vron

Well if you will go round and round roundabouts all day at full revs this will happen Vron....

Soeak to them nicely at first, they should realise that theres a problem, get them to look at it, if they say that its normal, seek a second expert opinion (sorry, not your husband.... he won't count). There should be an explanation for this and that should lead to some sort of warranty redress..... although obviously they won't stump up the full cost of new tyres.

If it helps, my current 215/35/18z Pirrelli Pzero Neros have 6000 miles on them, including two VERY abusive track days, and they still got plenty of life left in them. I'd say the front are only just half worn.

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
this still seems a common problem.....................EVO have just reported this month that the front tyres on their JCW rimms have nearly gone after similar mileage :eek:

·
See you in my rear view!!
901 Posts
I have had similar wear with the fronts, maybe 1000 miles left in them and have had them for about 5000 miles too. I mentioned it to them at John Cooper Garages when I was there this week and their response was... "tyre wear is reasonably even between the fronts" and I should "swap the fronts to the back" but they would charge me for doing this!! The cheek!!

Anyway, I didnt persue it at the time as I had already been there 3 hours and my girlfriends patience was testing me!

I might go down the road of getting an expert opinion....can we file some sort of complaint as a group as RVW and Damo have had the same thing happen to them. They got fobbed off by BMW saying they would take it up with Dunlop but to no avail.

The only thing is that I dont have the steering limiter and so that may be a reason so me having more even wear on the fronts but as you say 5000 miles is completely unacceptable!

Jones! :D

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
I've just emailed EVO giving them the links to the 2 threads.

Hopefully they might get to the bottom of the problem more than we can.

I really want these wheels but I can't afford to replace tyres as much as this :rolleyes: :(

·
Riding on JCW power!
367 Posts
ollymale said:
I've just emailed EVO giving them the links to the 2 threads.

Hopefully they might get to the bottom of the problem more than we can.

I really want these wheels but I can't afford to replace tyres as much as this :rolleyes: :(

good news..........I was just about to do that..........they might even mention the problem in the new fast fleet review

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
Davislove3rd said:
good news..........I was just about to do that..........they might even mention the problem in the new fast fleet review
Hopefully then JCW might admit there is a problem with the tyre wear ;)

·
901 Posts
ollymale said:
Hopefully then JCW might admit there is a problem with the tyre wear ;)
the thing is JCG's arent going to say anything. If they do anything, they will go back to Dunlop and then it is up to Dunlop to investigate and then if they find a problem, they will compensate whoever sent in the tyre/s....namely JCG's....and then they will credit that against new tyres we would have to buy from them.

All of this is explained in the letter from Dunlop in the other thread as posted above.

Either we all approach Dunlop....firstly we would all have to send our tyres which would mean paying for new ones and hoping they find a problem and compensate us.

Or....

Make an approach to JCG's and claim that they should have stated that a KDS is highly recommended with the new wheels/limiter kit which I dont think they did.

The only thing with the latter is that I dont have the limiter kit and I have suffered wear, albeit even wear on the fronts but am probably down to 2-3mm. So clearly the lack of KDS when the limiter kit was fitted has caused the uneven wear but there is still unacceptable wear even without the limiter kit.

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
Jones said:
the thing is JCG's arent going to say anything.
Your probably right Jones. But if a magazine like evo state that they believe the tyre wear is high, it might be looked into a bit more.

From what i've heard aftermarket 18's don't suffer the same rate of tyre wear so surely it must be related to the JCW wheels :confused: Correct me if i'm wrong though

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Id like to here the results of this...

...BTW, Im now on 215/35 Falken FK451s and have done 7500k and still have at least another 7500k due on them :rolleyes:

·
901 Posts
ollymale said:
Your probably right Jones. But if a magazine like evo state that they believe the tyre wear is high, it might be looked into a bit more.

From what i've heard aftermarket 18's don't suffer the same rate of tyre wear so surely it must be related to the JCW wheels :confused: Correct me if i'm wrong though

Yeah agreed with the EVO mag input....good idea.

The point I was making was that its nothing to do with the JCW wheels themselves, its either to do with the tyres, which the problem would be with Dunlop or its to do with the lack of info from BMW regarding the insistance of having a KDS when the limiter kit is fitted.

My feeling is that Dunlop is at fault here given I have had bad wear and I havent got the lmiter kit and have not hit any kerbs etc or anything to cause the tracking to be off.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Surely Dunlop must have done some testing to see what the longevity of these tyres are - before BMW chose them to be the tyre of "choice" on the JCW wheels. I'm still waiting for BMW to ring me back (suprise suprise).

There is no mention of tracking on my invoice (I am sure it won't come for free) so as far as I am concerned - its not invoiced so it hasn't been done and I have the tyre wear to prove it. My tyres still have the frilly bits on the edges and are unmarked as are the alloys so they cannot say I have bumped the kerb as an excuse.

Another battle brewing............

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
Jones said:
Yeah agreed with the EVO mag input....good idea.

The point I was making was that its nothing to do with the JCW wheels themselves, its either to do with the tyres, which the problem would be with Dunlop or its to do with the lack of info from BMW regarding the insistance of having a KDS when the limiter kit is fitted.

My feeling is that Dunlop is at fault here given I have had bad wear and I havent got the lmiter kit and have not hit any kerbs etc or anything to cause the tracking to be off.

After what Damo is saying about the wear on his, your definitely right that its the tyres. and after i rethought it, it can be the wheels at all!

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
The Dunlops SP01s are nown to be soft, but not this soft. The DSST is only for the MINI as well me thinks as only seen the 205/40 R18 version, although this may start creeping onto the BMWs now using Run flats

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well - got nowhere with BMW. They say although the tyres are worn differently, they are worn evenly across each tyre so the tracking is not out. The tyres have simply worn out. Now I have to buy 4 non runflats :mad:

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
5k miles on a set of tyres on any performance car is crazy, let alone a MINI. You have a Works S, I have a standard cooper and still ony managed 5k! out of them!

JCW/MINI/BMW seem to be taking the Michael with these tyres/wheels.

Vron sorry I cant help more as gave up and went with None Run Flats, theyre a milllion times better!

See here though...

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73496

....Toyo Proxes T1-Rs are a great tyre!

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
ollymale said:

Crikey this is a bit of a horror story, I have Hartge 18's running Pirelli Pzero Neros 215/35/18, they've been on the front since April, And I have covered about 8k since then, they had previiously done 7k with the first owner, I reckon I still have a good 5/6k left in them....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts