MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow motorists!
I have had my JCW since last December and have been enjoying it greatly. I replaced the air filter with a K&N unit but have not gone any further. I am wondering if the JCW exhaust is much different from the S unit. The tubing seems the same size. Does anyone know? I'd be glad to hear from fellow JCW owners, particularly those in the US like me.
Mark
[email protected]
New York :dark:

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Welcome to MINI2!

The exhaust that comes with the JCW kit for the S is the same all over the world, so you don't need to worry about differences. Compared to the stock exhaust on an S, its a bit more free flowing, and louder. Most aftermarket exhausts are louder still then the JCW one, but it depends what you want. The tubing is similar.

If you have a 2005, the exhaust on the MCS is a bit more free flowing then it was on 2002-2004 models, so that would affect the comparision.

If you have more specific questions, or want actual numbers for loudness and performance, I suspect someone else can provide them, but generally, the way people get the JCW exhaust is with the JCW kit, which is an entire package, and if you just want an exhaust, you'd go with another manufacturer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JCW exhaust

Thanks Stryder.
I have a 2003. I'm interested in increased power across the rev range, not a louder sound. Do you know the tubing diameter of the JCW exhaust, and whether aftermarket exhausts are larger?
Mark
:dark:

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
I don't know the specifics of the JCW exhaust personally, mostly because as I said people don't really buy it alone, they buy it with the JCW kit, which has published specs for HP and such. I think the only people who would install it probably purchased it from someone who didn't want it with their JCW kit.

Aftermarket ones do definetly have larger tubing, and increases in power.

If you do some searching off the top of my head these exist:

milltek
playmini
magnaflow
supersprint

I know there's others, but pretty much all of them claim a few HP above stock.

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
Just one more thought:

If you want performance across the range, for a few $100, you probably want to look at an intake or a pulley first. Either of them will give you a few HP for not very much $/hp. If you check around you can see your pricing and the gains to be expected.

Not that an exhaust is a bad idea, but it may not be the optimal thing for your first increase in power.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The size of the tubing doesn't necessarily indicate whether it is free flowing or not. Especailly if the headers are restrictive. The mufflers also play a part in the flow of the gases, and probably a bigger one than the size of the tubing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.