MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Back to the coolant change that I'd given up on when I was unable to remove the 3 bolts for the undertray - this undertray is now gone, the larger underside of the Aero bumper takes it's place.
So I tackled this again, and changed the expansion tank at the same time - nothing wrong with old one, but as they're prone to fail eventually I thought I'd best be safe

Another shot of the Aero kit, colour match looks spot on at some angles :)

After the coolant change, I discovered the fan kicked in at 112C - which is the high speed fan.
So, got a resistor and some with the awesome knowledge on here have this fitted...

Sits in the airflow of the fan, and the fan now kicks in at low speed at 105C :)

Also cleaned inside the intercooler

Before

After

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
More mods

Changed the pollen filter again, I changed it 18 months ago, not as filthy this time

£400 of parts for a bit of preventative maintenance...
- Tensioner (not shown, pick up tomorrow as MINI seem to have occidentally removed it from my order list)
- Tensioner Assembly
- Water Pump
- Thermostat
- Thermostat Housing

It's going to be a very expensive upcoming service, as although I do a lot of work myself, I don't touch engines.
In addition to fitting supercharger pulley and those other bits, there's also supercharger oil change, replace sump gasket (and maybe crank seals etc that also leak that look like sump gasket leaks).
Oh, and a GP intercooler

A little video of the Scorpion exhaust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDN-K_p4no

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
New ARB bushes and brackets and nuts :)

Courtesy of Orranje, I now have these cabrio braces :)

More bits to add

And I've now decided to fit the water pump & thermostat myself, and while I'm at it I may as well change the supercharger oil....

...or maybe replace the supercharger for a new one. Not sure what to do, car has done 90K miles, it's a facelift so teflon rotors.
But my reason for changing is that I really don't want to pull the front of the car apart ever again, and given I'll probably be keeping the car for another 6-8 years, the supercharger may need replacing during that time.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Things progressing...slowly...

Installed my 15% supercharger pulley, just need to put it on the car to see if it's faster

Angel sidelights fitted (without removing bumper)

Normally hate chrome bulbs for their dimness, but these Osram ones are the dogs

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
A quick look at how the car is now (without angel sidelights though) to when I bought it...

Still cosmetic stuff to do... tint rear windows, and maybe spotlights!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Installing Hel stainless brake lines and R56S front brakes

Rear lines fitted

Front lines + R56 calipers

R56 vs R53 calipers

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Replacing the supercharger

Supercharger removed

Old vs new

New supercharger fitted

Shorter belt

I've been out with the 15% pulley, and whilst it's definitely faster, it's not as fast as I was expecting.
And regards the R56 front brakes, TBH I don't see much improvement!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Some water in the bottom of the battery compartment.
So bought a new boot handle gasket.

Trim removed, no obvious water leaks.
Not sure if the wax oil stains are factory or a previous owner/garage (boot has been resprayed - probably warranty for the common boot lid rust)

New gasket

I've since sat in the boot with water being sprayed everywhere around the rear and no leaks anywhere.
But I'll keep an eye on it as I'm not 100% convinced the boot handle gasket was at fault, old one looked fine.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Christmas 2014 present for the Mini.
Just got tired of applying Autoglym bumper trim care to the 10 year old wheel arch trim, it's great stuff, but only lasts a few weeks before needs doing again.
So got new trim...

Hopefully I'll get round to replacing the front control arm bushes soon.
Replacing all the subframe bolts as they'll probably be in terrible condition living underneath the car!

Some spotlights to add at some point

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Car got it's first 'official' service in my ownership, at 1320.

On the dyno it achieved 175whp (190-200bhp?), but it also showed that it wasn't fueling correctly at a certain rev range.
Likely causes: fuel filter (unlikely as this has been changed), fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.

So I got a new fuel pump and followed this guide:
MINI Cooper Fuel Pump and Filter Replacement (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

New fuel pump (and filter, which I'll change next week sometime, last changed just over 2 years ago)

Old pump

Fuel lines and sender connection

New pump ready to go in

Almost done. One thing I did different to the Pelican guide was to install the gasket around the top of the tank then slide the top of the pump into it, as I found it next to impossible for it to fit into the top of the tank with the gasket around the top of the pump

I'm 99% certain that the slight hesitation under hard acceleration has gone, this is what showed up on 1320's dyno.
In fact car seems to accelerate better now (although that could all be in the mind )

And, the new fuel pump has a faulty fuel level sender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refitted original pump (fuel guage now working again).
Put new pump back in it's box and took it back to BMW.
BMW told me "we can't replace it or refund you, unless we know ourselves it's faulty" - so they forced me to refit it to my car!!
BMW made me sign something that said if they find the fuel pump isn't faulty I will have to pay their extortionate labour costs!!!
BMW tell me that both my fuel level senders are faulty (lies), and the guy is about to charge me for this diagnosis, until I point out that the fuel level sender is part of the new fuel pump they sold me. He then agrees that the part they sold me is faulty, but...
BMW tell me that even though the part they sold me is faulty, they can't give me a replacement pump, unless.... they fit it themselves (WTF!!!). I am forced to allow them to work on my car (which I really don't like, I've had MANY problems with dealerships in the past).
BMW kindly take it upon themselves to wash my car, and leave traffic film remover on the black textured paint on my Aero bumpers (this is why I don't use dealerships, they can't even wash cars properly).
Takes BMW THREE attempts to sort out my Aero bumpers.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
After coming out of the cinema at 10:30pm, the car fails to start. Everything normal with the key in except for the last position on the ignition - just nothing happens.
Tried with the spare key, to see if it was the transponder, no luck

Replaced the battery, the easiest fix. Even though I knew it wasn't a failed battery, but it was 10 years old so best to replace anyway.

Figured it'd be either the ignition switch or starter motor.
Really didn't want it to be the starter motor as that's a pig of a job, so paid £66 for a brand new ignition switch

Started first time, happy days :)
Shame about the shoddy BMW components.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Also changed the fuel pressure regulator

Was at Shakespeare County Raceway at the weekend (July 2015), did a few runs.
I've done plenty of 1/4 mile runs before, but this is my first time in a FWD car.
First couple of runs, my starts were appalling Did a decent run against an R53 facelift JCW, but I started too soon so time not recorded, he got 15.2 so I'd guess I got 15.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56YgJXBbVb8

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Had some sh*ts break into the car and steal my Blackvue dashcam

You'd never even notice it unless you were looking for it (in front of the rear view mirror)

Only close up can you see it (the silver ring around the lens is a ****ing big mistake, I've noticed newer Blackvues don't have this so they've realised it was a problem)

£80 excess for glass on my car insurance + £250 dashcam.
And the little ****ing ***** will be lucky to get £50 for it.

They folded the wing mirror in, which doesn't make sense as it doesn't get in the way of reaching inside, so I actually suspect they were initially after my wing mirrors but then noticed I have security bolts on them.
https://www.aol.co.uk/cars/2013/01/23/west-midlands-police-warn-of-bmw-mini-wing-mirror-theft/

In case this happens to anyone else, a genuine Mini passenger door window is...

£56 (including VAT)

Damn, I paid the £80 excess because I was expecting around £150-£250. Last car window I had replaced cost the insurer £650 for a genuine Mitsubishi one after the **** pattern part didn't fit.

Mind you, I'll happily do lots of work on my car, but Windows and the adjustments I won't dare touch myself!!

Now I'm ****ed off because I have one window with "MINI" written on it and the other with "FY", my OCD is going mental

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Had a minor knocking noise from the rear for a while.
Sounded like what you'd expect the parcel shelf to sound like banging about, but driving without a parcel shelf and the noise continued.
Narrowed it down by being a passenger in the rear, seemed to come from passenger side rear wheel arch.

Put new shock absorbers, spring cups etc 3 years ago, droplinks and rear ARB bushes 2 years ago.
One thing I didn't change were the bushes on top and below the rear top mounts. Due to not seeing them on realoem when I was gathering parts. Turns out this is due to them only being sold with the rear top mounts!!

So got some aftermarket KYB bushes, installed them today...

New bushes waiting to go in

New bushes installed

Around 5mm difference in thickness with the lower bushes. Don't know if this is just because it's an aftermarket part, or whether my old bushes really were flattened!!

Due to the size difference between old and new I definitely wasn't going to do just the noisey side
Anyway, I'm very pleased, knocking has gone :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Rear wiper wasn't working as well as it should, even with a new blade.
Figured the spring tension wasn't quite what it was after 11 years.

New bits

Removing the old nut wasn't difficult, but there's a metal collar inside the hole of the wiper arm that stuck itself to the wiper spline, had to be Dremmel'd off

Even replaced the rubber grommet in the screen for good measure

Car was last serviced 10 months ago at 1320, I've only done 5,000 miles since then. But the car says I've another 11,000 miles until the next oil service... Really BMW???? that'd end up THREE YEARS between oil changes!!!!!!!!!
So, another oil change, I think this is the 4th or 5th I've done myself between stamps in the book

And here's pics of my 'unsnappable' dipstick from ebay (£15.99). I'm going to be chucking my CravenSpeed one away, it's **** that it over-reads.

Also changed fuel filter again, 3 and a half years and 22,000 miles later, and having only been run on Shell Optimax/Nitro/V-Power...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Installing the spotlights

Destroying the Aero grille

Brackets fitted after drilling holes in bonnet!!

Time has come again to change the microfilter.
Third time I've changed it in my ownership, so rather than pay £40 each time for an OEM one, I've got one from fleabay for £16.

Eventually got round to wiring up the spotlights.
Ditched the OEM loom, pain to route it to the BCM.
Also aligned the lights too according to the BMW instructions.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
More problems!
Started getting intermittent P0340 fault code triggering. Mostly when starting the car.

So got a new camshaft position sensor.
Would've took 30 seconds to install if BMW had designed the engine mount bracket to accommodate access to the sensor bolt.
So engine needed supporting and engine mount bracket needed to be removed

But a pretty easy job

21 - 40 of 130 Posts