MINI Cooper Forum banner

61 - 80 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
My R53 is up for some serious pampering, the original owner had the paint protection put on and after a few serious stone chips that shattered the topcoat due to it being so hard. The paint protection is coming off and taking the clear coat with it and I cant afford a respray at the moment to a quick and nasty patch up is the only solution
If it's just on the plastic bumper I'd leave it for now.
Although on metal you're best of doing a patch up :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Great great thread. From 1st post to last, its like watching a full season of a tv episode! I felt tired (with that much of work) and subconsciously touch my back pocket if my wallet is still there. Hahaha.
Thank you. Yes it's quite an expensive hobby I have, thankfully that cost has been spread over the past five years, but it's still more than what I paid for the car :eeksurprise:
And as time goes on there's less to spend on, apart from the things that break :big_grin:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
If it's just on the plastic bumper I'd leave it for now.
Although on metal you're best of doing a patch up :)
A nice scrape on the rear bumper that was completely repainted after getting hit by a car and the lower black trim but the big one is a patch on the bonnet that was there when I got the car but that's getting bigger as its lifting around the edge so I need to feather it all out and do a temp patch until I have the time to respray the complete bonnet.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I have a quick question in relation to the rear bumper plastic trim ( centre piece) , my old exhaust got a leak and managed to melt a hole through the rear bumper lower trim , I have purchased a replacement however I am a complete idiot when a screwdriver etc is involved , my question is this ..
How easy is this trim to replace ? can I do this without taking the whole rear bumper off ? I know its not just a case of unclipping the trim as there are 2 screws ( one at each end of the trim ) ..any advice would be greatly appreciated as for the last couple of months I have had a £70 boxed piece of new trim staring me in the face saying "come and have a go if you think you are hard enough !! " lol
I helped, well more watched, a guy take off my rear bumper couple of weeks ago to fit rear parking sensors. If I can recall. There are 2 x bolts each end behind the wheel arch plastic. You have to pop the arch plastic off, not the whole thing just the back couple of 'pops' to get at them. Undid and lifted out the chunky plastic inner moulding in the boot that protects when you load stuff. There is a metal thingy round the boot latch that has to come out. Pull up/off the rubber seal along bottom edge of the boot shut. There is a really hidden bolt that is up underneath just to the right of the right exhaust pipe (if an R53). Any connectors you can see on the top. And we pulled it off. Disconnect the fog/reverse light. The top kind of 'slots' into a slot just under the lip of the boot. Didn't take long but he knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Nothing new, I think I've pretty much done all mods that I'm ever going to do on this car, except for the front control arm rear bushes.
Just general maintenance, the old cabin filter was the cheap ebay one, it's almost 2 years old...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just read this thread from start to finish, really enjoyed all the developments and cringed on your behalf through the mishaps. Really good thread. ::wink:: I've enjoyed having the very basic mods done on my MINI, it's certainly an enjoyable journey :big_grin:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Another year another oil change (between "proper" book services), less than 5000 miles since the last change...

I still can't get over what little "full service history" actually means.
My car last "asked" for an oil change 3 years ago, and probably won't be asking for the next one until next year. Crazy BMW, crazy!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
A little more work.
One of those jobs where it's a HUGE task, but if you were to do it again it'd take half the time.

Front wishbone rear bushes, and while I'm at it inner ball joints, outer ball joints (didn't fit these, will do at a later date, probably take the strut off as they're a nightmare to remove), ARB bushes, steering rack bush (didn't fit this either, old one looked perfect, and the bolts male torx (I only have tools for female torx, like the brake disc screws).

Subframe coming down

Old wishbone bushes were quite worn (car still handled sweet), ARB bushes looked perfect but changed them anyway

Tool to remove old bushes

Old bush out, new one to go in

Couldn't really find a way for the tool to press these particular new bushes in, so took them to a garage

Main tricky areas that I wasn't expecting:
- Unplugging the electrical connections for the power steering pump and the headlight levelling.
- ARB bracket bolts required a breaker bar, not just to loosen them initially, but a breaker bar pretty much all the way!!
- Inner ball joint bolts also required a breaker bar, ALL THE WAY!!!!
- There's a video on YouTube of a guy using the bush removal tool, he's winding it by hand. I had to use my feet as so much force was required!!!
- The Superflex poly bushes that I fitted have a metal sleeve and the rubber protrudes, this makes it difficult to press in DIY. I'd recommend the Powerflex bushes with no metal sleeve.

Can't really comment on handling as I've yet to get alignment done.
But it really does need alignment as currently it doesn't feel right at all.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Wheel alignment time

Unfortunately the offside front wheel couldn't be corrected due to a seized adjusting nut on the tie rod.
So I've ordered new inner & outer tie rods for both sides, along with new dust boots and clamps for good measure :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Due to a seized tie rod adjusting nut I got new for both sides + dust boots. £89.
Plus a tool to remove/install.

Removing old inner tie rod, after angle grinding the outer rod off to allow the tool to fit over it.

New ones installed

I've now had the alignment done and it's back to being great.
My opinion on the front control arm rear bushes... TBH they feel just the same as my old worn bushes, which felt great BTW :big_grin:

Just wish I'd changed the tie rods when the subframe was dropped as I'd probably not have needed the special tool then.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
A man can never have too many tools :big_grin:

Maybe coilovers, maybe. I just don't want the car any lower than standard though, those wind flap things under the car make it low enough as it is.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
A man can never have too many tools :big_grin:

Maybe coilovers, maybe. I just don't want the car any lower than standard though, those wind flap things under the car make it low enough as it is.

Ah coil overs improve the handling, apparently :big_grin: .

I'm Glad your not going all MINITORQUE on it and slamming it so low it gets hooked up on cats eyes ::wink::

61 - 80 of 130 Posts