MINI Cooper Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Not much to report over the past 3 months.
But for the first time ever I've had winter tyres on. Couldn't justify the price of some Continental ones for only being on for around 4 months, so got some Nangkang SV-3 which got reasonable reviews.

Got a large crack in the (original) windscreen, no idea how.

Worst news, discovered this after washing the car a few weeks ago. Seemed to have appeared all of a sudden as I never noticed it the previous wash!

Car is booked in to sort that soon...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
When the car was 9 years old, I changed the coolant expansion tank for a genuine oem one, purely as a precautionary measure, as we all know these things eventually leak (shoddy German engineering).

Just when I thought 2019 was going to be an inexpensive year as I have no more modifications planned...

5 years later... yesterday, I noticed a slight leak

Got this on Amazon Prime for £40, next day delivery

Hopefully the car will stop surprising me

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Worst news, discovered this after washing the car a few weeks ago. Seemed to have appeared all of a sudden as I never noticed it the previous wash!

Car is booked in to sort that soon...
Upon sanding down, it was best to cut it out and weld in new metal

The underside was also treated

Just the clutch to sort out now...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Just read this from start to finish, really interesting. Thought I looked after my Mini, you put me to shame!
I'm pretty good with car hi-fi, but I'd have no confidence tackling all the mechanical jobs that you have done.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Just read this from start to finish, really interesting. Thought I looked after my Mini, you put me to shame!
I'm pretty good with car hi-fi, but I'd have no confidence tackling all the mechanical jobs that you have done.

Wish I was better with car hi-fi.
My aftermarket stereo (as the one that came with the car when I bought it) has the left/right speakers the wrong way around.
And the rear speakers take their feed from the front, so I can't alter the front/rear fade.
Car has the Harman Kardon system and from what I can tell it's using a standard HK enabler.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Wish I was better with car hi-fi.
My aftermarket stereo (as the one that came with the car when I bought it) has the left/right speakers the wrong way around.
And the rear speakers take their feed from the front, so I can't alter the front/rear fade.
Car has the Harman Kardon system and from what I can tell it's using a standard HK enabler.
This is what I fitted in my old R50. (have a R56 JCW now). Pioneer reference headunit, three Pioneer reference amps, Pioneer 6 disc multi CD, Focal front speakers, Hertz rear 6x9's and JL Audio Mini specific stealth sub. It sounded incredible, the Harman Kardon in my R56 sounds rubbish, in comparison!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great thread, very informative. I think a few of the things you have problems with (rust, traffic accidents) I wouldn't have to worry as much about being in Oz lol

Cherry on top is now I'll be able to search out all the good parts and avoid going though the ******** of talking to BMW/Mini dealers.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Great thread, very informative. I think a few of the things you have problems with (rust, traffic accidents) I wouldn't have to worry as much about being in Oz lol

Cherry on top is now I'll be able to search out all the good parts and avoid going though the ******** of talking to BMW/Mini dealers.
Living in Oz, lucky you! It feels like it's nearly always raining here! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Still looking good John.. ;)

My demotion came and went i guess not being that active can get a guy fired ;)

Not into the Mini scene anymore unfortunately :(

121 - 130 of 130 Posts