MINI Cooper Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Not much to report over the past 3 months.
But for the first time ever I've had winter tyres on. Couldn't justify the price of some Continental ones for only being on for around 4 months, so got some Nangkang SV-3 which got reasonable reviews.

Got a large crack in the (original) windscreen, no idea how.

Worst news, discovered this after washing the car a few weeks ago. Seemed to have appeared all of a sudden as I never noticed it the previous wash!

Car is booked in to sort that soon...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
When the car was 9 years old, I changed the coolant expansion tank for a genuine oem one, purely as a precautionary measure, as we all know these things eventually leak (shoddy German engineering).

Just when I thought 2019 was going to be an inexpensive year as I have no more modifications planned...

5 years later... yesterday, I noticed a slight leak

Got this on Amazon Prime for £40, next day delivery

Hopefully the car will stop surprising me

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Worst news, discovered this after washing the car a few weeks ago. Seemed to have appeared all of a sudden as I never noticed it the previous wash!

Car is booked in to sort that soon...
Upon sanding down, it was best to cut it out and weld in new metal

The underside was also treated

Just the clutch to sort out now...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Just read this from start to finish, really interesting. Thought I looked after my Mini, you put me to shame!
I'm pretty good with car hi-fi, but I'd have no confidence tackling all the mechanical jobs that you have done.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Just read this from start to finish, really interesting. Thought I looked after my Mini, you put me to shame!
I'm pretty good with car hi-fi, but I'd have no confidence tackling all the mechanical jobs that you have done.

Wish I was better with car hi-fi.
My aftermarket stereo (as the one that came with the car when I bought it) has the left/right speakers the wrong way around.
And the rear speakers take their feed from the front, so I can't alter the front/rear fade.
Car has the Harman Kardon system and from what I can tell it's using a standard HK enabler.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Wish I was better with car hi-fi.
My aftermarket stereo (as the one that came with the car when I bought it) has the left/right speakers the wrong way around.
And the rear speakers take their feed from the front, so I can't alter the front/rear fade.
Car has the Harman Kardon system and from what I can tell it's using a standard HK enabler.
This is what I fitted in my old R50. (have a R56 JCW now). Pioneer reference headunit, three Pioneer reference amps, Pioneer 6 disc multi CD, Focal front speakers, Hertz rear 6x9's and JL Audio Mini specific stealth sub. It sounded incredible, the Harman Kardon in my R56 sounds rubbish, in comparison!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great thread, very informative. I think a few of the things you have problems with (rust, traffic accidents) I wouldn't have to worry as much about being in Oz lol

Cherry on top is now I'll be able to search out all the good parts and avoid going though the ******** of talking to BMW/Mini dealers.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Great thread, very informative. I think a few of the things you have problems with (rust, traffic accidents) I wouldn't have to worry as much about being in Oz lol

Cherry on top is now I'll be able to search out all the good parts and avoid going though the ******** of talking to BMW/Mini dealers.
Living in Oz, lucky you! It feels like it's nearly always raining here! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Still looking good John.. ;)

My demotion came and went i guess not being that active can get a guy fired ;)

Not into the Mini scene anymore unfortunately :(

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
My demotion came and went i guess not being that active can get a guy fired ;)

Not into the Mini scene anymore unfortunately :(
:(

Not posted for a while, some minor updates...

Last year I had a total brake failure!!!
The front offside HEL brake line had been rubbing on the inside of the wheel. Possibly moved during the masking/undersealing of the car. Not a fault of the guy who did the work at all, these lines should NOT be able to move within the grommet that's attached to the shock absorber. I didn't even notice when I fitted my summer wheels/tyres back on.
Anyway, the gradual wearing lead to this...

I informed HEL Brakes, and my response back from them was....SWEET FA.
I was VERY lucky in that traffic was very light and didn't have an accident.
Very poor show from HEL in their shoddy design, even poorer that they didn't even bother to reply to me.
Turns out this is actually quite a common issue with HEL lines on the Mini. I've heard they've since changed the design slightly due to this.
Many owners put cable ties on the line either side of the grommet to avoid the line slipping through. I didn't know about this bodge that must be done!

Got me some Goodridge lines now, the line is very tight in the grommet in these. But I've put cable ties "just in case".

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Yet another fuel filter change, 3rd one since buying the car 8 years ago.

I think I do around 4 (yearly) oil changes in between the car 'asking' to be serviced.

Cabin filter, which I only do every 2 years now. Mann filter for about a quarter of the price of oem.

Noticed the coilover strut piston top sitting slightly higher on the passenger side, Corteco top mounts fitted only 2 years ago!!
So swapped them over for Febi ones, and replaced my 7 year old under strut plates for new ones.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
When the car was 9 years old, I changed the coolant expansion tank for a genuine oem one, purely as a precautionary measure, as we all know these things eventually leak (shoddy German engineering).

5 years later... yesterday, I noticed a slight leak

Got this on Amazon Prime for £40, next day delivery
Really disliked not being able to easily see the coolant level, so I went back to a plastic tank. This time Febi instead of oem which only lasted 5 years!!

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
nice to see you back its looking good

Reactions: JohnnyC

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
So, 18 months ago the clutch started slipping if I planted my foot down. Immediately purchased a clutch kit + flywheel. I've also collected various parts over the past year to change whilst the car is in pieces.
However, the clutch seemed to stop slipping (don't get much of a change to plant my foot in daily driving), but now seemed like a good time to fit the parts I'd already paid for!

As suspected, the top radiator hose has been rubbing against the fan housing (replaced this hose 4 years ago when the original had been doing the same)

So replaced that

Also replaced the lower hose just because it's 15 years old

Replaced the 6 year old crankshaft sensor

Didn't change the supercharger oil as I fitted a new supercharger only 26K miles ago.

This single bell housing bolt had me stumped for literally hours. Socket on bolt and no room for ratchet. Using a short extension is too long. Eventually figured it out and used a ratchet spanner.
Here it is with a long socket on...

New starter motor. Nothing wrong with it, but it's 15 years old and access is never going to be better than it is now

Had fun getting the lower slave cylinder bolt out without it snapping. I didn't remove the cylinder, just tied it out of the way (as per the Mod Mini YouTube guide)

Gearbox eventually out, the inside is black!

Must have spent well over 2 hours trying to fit the new rear main crank seal. Then suddenly it just went in!!

New vs old clutch + flywheel

New gearbox input shaft seal

The mess of wiring and pipework that make it all such a pain

New Valeo single mass flywheel

All fitted

Ready to go back together

Quick change of oil filter housing gasket while access is good (I should have got the oil cooler pipe gaskets too)

Fill up of gear oil and coolant

Huge amount of work, took me 4 days (l really do like to take my time!!!).
Reckon I could do it in 2 if I had to do it again. No way could I do it in a single day in my tiny garage on axle stands.

Breakdown of costs:
Valeo clutch + single mass flywheel conversion kit - £280
Rear main crank seal - £30
BMW Coolant - £23
Redline MTL - £37

Additional work:
Gearbox oil seal set (only used input shaft seal, will do driveshaft seals at later date) - £30
Crankshaft sensor o-ring - £7
Bosch starter motor - £80
Radiator hoses - £30
Radiator clamps - £17
Oil filter housing gasket - £13

I'm annoyed as I lost one of the rubber grommets that sit under the air filter box. I couldn't see it anywhere in the engine bay, and tidying up the garage afterwards it hadn't fallen to the floor!

Haven't driven it much but so far the single mass flywheel doesn't feel any different to the dual mass.
I think the pedal/slave/fluid needs investigation as the biting point is higher than before, and when pressing the clutch pedal it feels normal at first then goes a little lighter when half way down.
As said, I never disconnected the slave cylinder (same as Mod Mini guide). I have tried leaving the clutch pedal pressed overnight but that didn't make any difference.

Old clutch, which I presume is the factory original (LUK branded), 15 years old, 117K miles, looked to be in good condition.
I presume the clutch slip (which went away after buying the parts) was due to either rear main seal or sump gasket.
My sump gasket has been leaking since forever, just never got round to it. And I only just noticed that it's joined with the bell housing.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Lockdown helped kill my battery.
Left the car for too long before starting it a couple of times.
Has eventually decide to let me down even the day after a reasonable drive. And annoys the neighbours with the alarm going off because of low battery.
Pretty certain the alternator is good, as it usually starts fine the next day after being completely dead, so it is charging.

Had the Halfords HB013 previously, decided to go for the better (calcium) HCB013 this time. It's gotta be better because it's more expensive :D

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
With the new clutch installed I figured I'd best change the sump gasket, as that joins with the bell housing.
Makes me wonder how many people think they've had a leaking crank rear main seal when it could actually be the sump gasket...

Anyway, bought the gasket many years ago.

Pretty easy job, only difficult bit was refitting the 2 upper bolts for the aircon compressor.

Pleasantly surprised not to find half a dipstick from a previous owner, or any timing chain guides.

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised these commonly leak. Who had the bright idea of attaching an engine mount to a sump? All the stress of the engine movement is absorbed equally by the mount and the joining of the sump to engine. Do BMW not have any competent engineers anymore?

Next job is the change the leaking clutch slave cylinder.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Time to change the leaking clutch slave cylinder.

Ready to bleed

Getting the fluid line out of the old cylinder was a struggle, had to use grips on the plastic pipe connection and twist and pull on the cylinder, but it eventually came off.
Pushing the connection into the new cylinder just wasn't happening. Had to then try to twist and push, boom, the pipe snaps.
Looking at it, I think the pipe has started to rust and expand inside the plastic connection, making it impossibly tight to refit.

Thinking it's game over at the thought of replacing a pipe that runs from the front of the gearbox to inside the car to the master cylinder, parts diagram shows it's in three parts.

Ordering from eBay or Amazon and I'm looking at the car being out of action for up to a week!
Ring my local stealership, as they'll have it within a couple of days... turns out they have one in stock (it's like they've had this trouble themselves), and cheaper than eBay/Amazon.

Fitting it was easy but very long winded. Bumper off, crash bar off, crash tubes off, into front-end service mode, disconnect battery, remove airbox & ecu. Finally remove throttle body just to be able to get to a bracket that was preventing the pipe going under some cables!

New pipe connection just pushed straight into the slave cylinder, like how it should have been several hours earlier!

Pressure bled the same way as Mod Mini's YouTube guide.
Pedal feel is exactly the same as before so I assume that's how the Valeo solid mass flywheel conversion is.

121 - 140 of 141 Posts