MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:whblack: My 2004 MCS has 2100 miles on him and the strangest thing happen Tuesday. I had driven about 150 miles and stopped for the day got stuff out and locked the car, the next morning I went out to put some things in Nigel and heard a very strange clicking sound. I looked for the source of this noise and discovered my speedometer needle jumping from 0 to about 6 mph and just ticking back and forth. I do not know if it had been doing this all night or for what period of time. I got in and cranked the car up and the jumping stopped and everything seemed fine. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know about it? Should I worry?
Help and THANKS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nigel

Yes, Nigel is a wonderful 2004 MCS, Pepper White with a Black roof and mirrors, along with black bonnet strips! He has the premium package, sport package, and cold weather package. Inside he is Cordoba Beige Leather, Anthracite dash and door bezels, and the Harman Kardon HI Fi system. I have had the car since December but have not had a much time to drive it, however I did go up about 3 weeks ago and drive “The Tail of The Dragon” several times. :whblack: Nigel's North Carolina Tag is "MINI".

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
I think I've heard of this happening before (though it hasn't happened to me).
The needles are all driven by servo motors, so I would think that a jumping needle is an idication of something wrong in the electronic 'brain' that lives behind the speedo. I think it'll need a trip to the dealers. :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cloudr,

Had this in my '02 MCS. Took it to dealer and had speedo and tacho replaced. Dealer got tech email from Germany saying it's the guages zero-ing themselves. Only noticeable on soem cars as the motors may be attached to the needles at different angles. I quite enjoy watching mine still do it after getting it all replaced..lol
And oddly enough..... I'm Nigel..!!

Nigel,
Dover.

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Maybe its just eagre to be driven?

A subtle hint perhaps?? :D :p

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Yup its been reported here a few times.. i forgot the fix or if there was any... maybe you can run a search if you're really interested... but I dont remember reading that it was a big deal... like car life threatening... :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ..I am really tired of the buzzing speedo after i start my Min...Everyone has tried to fix it here on the forum and still there is no conclusice "fix for the 5 second needle buzz to the stops problem..someone please help...It drives me crazy...

·
Registered
71 Posts
speedo ticking

had this problem on my car.
all you have to do is charge your battery,its getting low.remember that this time of year you have your lights on,wipers,heater etc.bet you dont have the problem in the spring .cheers mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts