MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my MCS is fitted with 17" Crown Spoke Alloys and I notice there are some fine scratches on the wheels. Last year the local council re-surfaced some of the roads near where I live, and I think the marks have been caused by the loose chippings.

The Crown Wheels appear to be coated with lacquer and this is scratched, I have tried to polish the marks out but no luck, has anybody got a suggestion please :confused:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't know what polish you used. Poorboys Wheel Sealant or Autoglym Super Resin Polish might hide the scratches. Another option would be machine polish the wheels or a refurb.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what polish you used. Poorboys Wheel Sealant or Autoglym Super Resin Polish might hide the scratches. Another option would be machine polish the wheels or a refurb.

Thanks for the reply Sooper Rob.....the scratches are quite shallow and only noticeable at close distance. I just used ordinary polish to see if it helped, but made them more noticeabl so I removed it. They are not bad enough to warrant a refurb.

If you know of a product that might solve the problem, then please let me know. In the meantime I will see what Halfords have to offer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
As you have said the scratches are quite shallow I guess you are able to feel them. Polishing didn't hide the scratches but it will have give the rest of the wheel a good finish, therefore showing the defect in the alloys even more so.
I think it will probably take a refurb, you could try a diy refurb if you feel you'd get a good enough result.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you have said the scratches are quite shallow I guess you are able to feel them. Polishing didn't hide the scratches but it will have give the rest of the wheel a good finish, therefore showing the defect in the alloys even more so.
I think it will probably take a refurb, you could try a diy refurb if you feel you'd get a good enough result.
Hi Sooper Rob,

I think these Mini Crown Spoke Alloys have a lacquered finish which has scratched in places, the front wheels are affected mostly. The MCS has only done 7.5K miles from new, so I am not very pleased:frown:

Halfords sell some kits for refurb @ £29.99 each, but they are more suitable for repairing damaged alloy surfaces as opposed to the problem I have got. I will do a google on Autoglym and see what they have i.e. you mentioned their Super Resin Polish.

If you know of anything else that might help please let me know.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scratched Crown Spoke Alloys - 07-MCS

Did a google search and found "The Scratch Doctor" they do a kit for £12.99 and reckon this will do the job depending on what size silver flake has been used. Evidently the flakes are either fine or course, and they supply either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts