MINI Cooper Forum banner

June 07 build MCS- Problem with Alloys

795 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  caesar 
#1 ·
Hi, my MCS is fitted with 17" Crown Spoke Alloys and I notice there are some fine scratches on the wheels. Last year the local council re-surfaced some of the roads near where I live, and I think the marks have been caused by the loose chippings.

The Crown Wheels appear to be coated with lacquer and this is scratched, I have tried to polish the marks out but no luck, has anybody got a suggestion please :confused:

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Sooper Rob.....the scratches are quite shallow and only noticeable at close distance. I just used ordinary polish to see if it helped, but made them more noticeabl so I removed it. They are not bad enough to warrant a refurb.

If you know of a product that might solve the problem, then please let me know. In the meantime I will see what Halfords have to offer.

#4 ·
As you have said the scratches are quite shallow I guess you are able to feel them. Polishing didn't hide the scratches but it will have give the rest of the wheel a good finish, therefore showing the defect in the alloys even more so.
I think it will probably take a refurb, you could try a diy refurb if you feel you'd get a good enough result.

#5 ·
Hi Sooper Rob,

I think these Mini Crown Spoke Alloys have a lacquered finish which has scratched in places, the front wheels are affected mostly. The MCS has only done 7.5K miles from new, so I am not very pleased:frown:

Halfords sell some kits for refurb @ £29.99 each, but they are more suitable for repairing damaged alloy surfaces as opposed to the problem I have got. I will do a google on Autoglym and see what they have i.e. you mentioned their Super Resin Polish.

If you know of anything else that might help please let me know.

#6 ·
Scratched Crown Spoke Alloys - 07-MCS

Did a google search and found "The Scratch Doctor" they do a kit for £12.99 and reckon this will do the job depending on what size silver flake has been used. Evidently the flakes are either fine or course, and they supply either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.