MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Slumming it in a Berlingo
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have loved the look of the new MINI for ages, ever since I saw the Rover Group's artists impression years ago when I worked for Rover (it was pretty much identical to todays MINI)
The prices have settled down enough for me to afford one, so I'm gonna buy second hand. I was told that the later cars had a mild facelift and a couple of extra horsepower, so I'd obviously like one of these. How can I tell? Is there a certain point in the chassis number that they changed, or is there some other easy ways to tell?
Thanks for reading,
Alan.
:dark:

·
GEEEEEEEEK
9,069 Posts
getting a later model second hand will be almost imposible they only changed them a couple of months ago

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
AlBundy

Without going into lots of details the easy way to tell a facelift version is that the light in the middle of the rear bumper is red (fog light). All others are white (reversing light).

Not only is fevs right that the model change was only very recent (around August this year), but it is debateable if they are actually any better anyway!

Good luck in finding your new MINI.

Tigger.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, the changes aren't as drastic as I'd imagined.
I have budgeted to spend no more than 15K so I reckon I'll get a good 'un.
One last question, do all 'Chilli Pack' equipped Cooper S's have Xenons?
Thanks.
Al.
Ps. I'll try and dig out the old Rover mock up pictures... They were pretty similar, obviously if Rover had built them, I'd be able to pick one up now for about £1500.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
AHA proof for all those sceptics, ihatethebmwmini.com ers etc.. that the Mini2 was designed and developed here in good ol Blighty and IS a 'proper' Mini not merely a BMW in drag :D :D

Thanks for that Al you must get those pics on here somewhere for everybody to see.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I found a couple of pictures, you may have seen these though. I am still looking for the pictures I got from Rover in 1997ish so I can scan them in.
The first 2 pictures are of Rover testing their new Mini, it is disguised but it is easy to see what it is (note the Rover 200/400 series wheeltrims...)
The third picture is of a concept that they were toying with the idea of but never came to much and I am unsure why. Maybe BMW didn't like it.
The last picture is of the Mini they planned as a cheap micro car, with a 600ish cc engine and a modern version of the Hydrolastic suspension..... I'm glad they never bothered, looks like a bloody Daewoo.
Just before BMW sold Rover off, the plan was to sell the new Mini in BMW showrooms only, not Rover dealers, which bugged the hell out of me when I first heard about it, with hindsight is is obvious that BMW were already plannning to sell off Rover and keep Mini.
So, the next time someone complains about the MINI not being British designed, show them the pictures of the white test car!!! At least it's made over here, that's something.
I loved my Rovers, but I have no problem at all about getting a new MINI, they are fantastic!
Al.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Actually I cant remember seeing those 1st 2 pics before but I remember the last 2, I loved that sport concept too tho :cool: . Thanks for those pics Al and if knowones said it before welcome to mini2. :)

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
_AlBundy_ said:
I was told that the later cars had a mild facelift
Think about it...you ever seen anybody that looked better after a facelift? :p

Go for the original new MINI...the one that is true to Frank Stevenson's brilliant vision.

Accept no substitutes :D :D :D

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Spy Car said:
Think about it...you ever seen anybody that looked better after a facelift? :p

Go for the original new MINI...the one that is true to Frank Stevenson's brilliant vision.

Accept no substitutes :D :D :D
You know, I think that there was some method in their madness;

If the Cooper S's sales are hurt by the Cooper and One looking too good (and you can't improve on the looks of the "S") then what inevitable option does that leave the manufacturer with? :rolleyes:

Let's get contoversial. :D

Tigger.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've not seen those white pics before. Interesting stuff, the front end has pretty much the exact shape of bumpers and bonnet as the production car. The angle of the bonnet shutline from the wheel arch is there, wing mirror looks similar and the door handle is a similar style. The back end looks shunted, but that may be the colour and the window surrounds in white. One wierdness is that the first picture, the door looks to have the window built into it with a frame (just above the door there is a shutline) but in the second pic with the door open, it's frameless. I'm so glad it is frameless, one of my favourite thngs about the car is getting in and out with the windows down and using the door as a handle. Don't know why though!

·
Armed to the teeth
182 Posts
Ok this site is in my bookmarks and is a bloody informative site on all things british leyland/rover - has so much info it is unbelievable. Anyway one of the section is on the development story of the new mini here is the link. Worth a butchers.

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?ado67indexf.htm

Whoops on a re-check it links to the Allegro section!!!!! But you can link to the BMW mini on the left hand window, just scroll down a little.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,172 Posts
Spy Car said:
We could print up bumper-stickers........"100% free of face-lifted parts" ;) :p
Ha ha, very funny! :D

Tigger

·
can i go home yet
2,568 Posts
cheers for the pics, I havnt seen them before either

oh, and welcome to Mini2, hope you find a nice one

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks! Just bought one! Picking it up on Sunday. 52 plate Cooper S, Chilli Red/black roof. Factory tinted windows, full leather, Chilli Pack, panoramic roof, climate control etc.. Can't wait!

Al.
:D :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts