1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
003 On a Mission
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:red::red::red::)

Well a BIG thankyou to Will at Performance Torque:D:D:D
Took my Dubman to him today for him to wave his magic wand:biggrin:

Must say very pleased with the results. Was a bit dubious before going but on the return trip all that was blown away. The difference is very noticeable.
Figures for standard car---110 bhp 260 n/m torque ( with overboost 0
Figures now taken from a dyno run ( always suspicious of dynos, but they do give an indication )

136bhp 315 n/m torque :cool:
Plus Will reckons improved fuel consumption so win -win:D
Acceleration is a lot smoother and it pulls all the way to the top.
3rd 4th 5th are now briiliant. Not going to say the 0-60 will have improved vastly but as it used to run out of puff:( This is now no longer the case:)

So now I have an SSSssssseater:p:p:p but not the fuel eater:p:p

Can recommend Will --All round nice guy;)

So if anybody is thinking about being chipped then I for one can recommend it.

·
Dooper Wannabe
6 Posts
was it a plug in / piggy back box, or a remap of the standard ECU with no physical footprint ?

also what will happen WRT TLC ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Will does his thing using the On Board Diagnostic port to connect his laptop and remap the engine management system.

So, it isn't physically "chipped" but merely re-programmed.

Will assures me that most of the cars he works on are under warranty and that the dealers don't seem to be bothered about it.

However, it is mandatory to inform your insurance company, which is true of any modification you may plan for your Dooper. Direct Line only charge me an extra £50/year which is reasonable given the uplift in power and driveability.

·
003 On a Mission
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
However, it is mandatory to inform your insurance company, which is true of any modification you may plan for your Dooper. Direct Line only charge me an extra £50/year which is reasonable given the uplift in power and driveability.

Totally agree with your comment;) Insurance Co informed as to extra mods 3 in all

Remap, springs, spoiler, NO policy increase just one off admin fee £25. :cool:( Greenlight Insurance):D

·
Registered
889 Posts
If the improvement is so significant why doesnt mini do it themselves - especailly if fuel consumption reduces- sorry for sounding sceptical

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
If the improvement is so significant why doesnt mini do it themselves - especailly if fuel consumption reduces- sorry for sounding sceptical
Operating standards mainly so that the motor and all the associated parts will work without any problem pretty much anywhere and under most extremes of climate in those territories. In short an envelope of proven reliability and performance wherever the car is sold.

Of course there is headroom to expand and enhance that performance envelope, the add on JCW kit for petrol versions is an example. But you have to pay for that which makes for more profitability.

I expect the Dooper will cope with the tuning package, but the fact that MINI don't currently offer such an upgrade means that there is a degree of risk which the manufacturer is not prepared to take on.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Apologies if this has already been covered - I've never considered chipping or upgrading any of the cars that I have bought previously. I just accepted that with the arrival of offspring, my bachelor sports cars would become mundane baby seat, buggy carriers with slug-like performance;).

Bottom line, will chipping or re-mapping not done by my dealer as part of some JCW upgrade, invalidate my Mini warranty?

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
Goonery got it spot on. There is also the question of marketing. If the Cooper D was putting out far more power than the petrol Cooper, who would buy the petrol version? That said who would buy a petrol S? MINI will have packaged the Cooper D to meet all the criteria Goonery mentions, and to suit the market it's aimed at. It's a Cooper, so should compete against the Cooper. You never know we may get a Cooper DS sometime soon.

As for sceptical. Getting considerable gains from remapping turbo diesel engines is a well trodden path. Some of the proven gains out there for the VAG group TDi cars are fantastic.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts

Well a BIG thankyou to Will at Performance Torque:D:D:D
Took my Dubman to him today for him to wave his magic wand:biggrin:

Must say very pleased with the results. Was a bit dubious before going but on the return trip all that was blown away. The difference is very noticeable.
Figures for standard car---110 bhp 260 n/m torque ( with overboost 0
Figures now taken from a dyno run ( always suspicious of dynos, but they do give an indication )

136bhp 315 n/m torque :cool:
Plus Will reckons improved fuel consumption so win -win:D
Acceleration is a lot smoother and it pulls all the way to the top.
3rd 4th 5th are now briiliant. Not going to say the 0-60 will have improved vastly but as it used to run out of puff:( This is now no longer the case:)

So now I have an SSSssssseater:p:p:p but not the fuel eater:p:p

Can recommend Will --All round nice guy;)

So if anybody is thinking about being chipped then I for one can recommend it.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review

Pleased you are happy, it was nice meeting yourself and your wife ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello :)

Please keep us updated as time goes on! :)

I've been looking a dooper but have been unimpressed during test drives. I have a 1.9 tdi 130ps that is revo tuned (ecu remapped) to 170ps and a bucket load of torque. Now it drives like it should - not necessarily 'lots faster' just smooth and powerful at all points in the range and esp on the motorway. Everyone should do it :) I just need to sell it someone who understands tuning or get the tuning removed before selling it on (and getting a dooper if I can be convinced - i love the looks and want to get cooper s kit for the cooper d)

My insurance is with Brentacre - they really understand tuning and stuff. I highly recommend them! Very friendly.

The only thing with tuning is automatic transmissions. If you get it tuned and thrash it all the time, I suspect you'll end up with transmission problems as they are designed for a certain amount of power....

But other than that - i also wonder why vm/adui/seat/skoda/etc benefit SO much from revo tuning and why they don't sell them that way to begin with. Only thing I can figure is that before DPF (deisel filter) the better tuned engines give you the option to create huge clouds of grey exhaust if you're driving aggressively....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Performance_Torque, despite there is a quite remote probability for me to become your happy client (for geographical reasons, however I can visit you after MU'09 :) ), please tell, whether your remap takes into account Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) regeneration requirements? As I see from this article...

Active regeneration

image of a dpf warning lignt When the soot loading in the filter reaches a set limit (about 45%) the ECU can make small adjustments to the fuel injection timing to increase the exhaust temperature and initiate regeneration. If the journey's a bit stop/start the regeneration may not complete and the warning light will illuminate to show that the DPF is partially blocked.
... ECU is quite smart and makes something to actively burn the dust (do you see, how fast my reaction on "ECU" keyword?) :)

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Performance_Torque, despite there is a quite remote probability for me to become your happy client (for geographical reasons, however I can visit you after MU'09 :) ), please tell, whether your remap takes into account Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) regeneration requirements? As I see from this article...

... ECU is quite smart and makes something to actively burn the dust (do you see, how fast my reaction on "ECU" keyword?) :)
Hi There

Yes, we take the DPF intp account. EGT's are kept to a minimum as the increase in boost is very small.

Injection is also accurately calculated to ensure no issues with the DPF or emissions etc ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts