MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals

I've just bought a 53 plate cooper s and im rather excited you could say :D

I had a couple of questions though and was hoping someone could help me out?

When i test drove the car the dealer only had a keyfob with no remote feature, so had to stick it in the door to unlock. Whats the deal here, was remote central locking not standard or have they lost the remote keyfob?

Secondly it has a chilli pack but the guy said the lights weren't xenon however having read around on here first it appears that having washers signifies xenons, and it did have washers?

I cant bloody wait to pick it up. The more I read on here the more excited I get.

Hoping someone can help with my question?

Thanks

·
T o t a l m i n i . c o m
4,467 Posts
Hello and Welcome to MINI2:D:D

It should have both remote locking and xenons on a chili pack

Congrats on your New MINI:D:D:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'll be paying for my first cooper S in the morning hopefully!

The car i buying had a button on the key....i think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi welcome and congrats on the cooper s. I have a 03 cooper s and it came with the chilli pack which included the xenons and remote key fob. Hope this helps as mine is younger yours should definately have it.:smile:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Someone posted on here a year or so ago with pictures of the keys, I hope they don't mind me posting them again.

The first one is pre-facelift 2 button

The second is facelift (04 on) 3 button

The third is R56 key fob thing

I'm not too sure about yours, but I know on my facelift MCS 06 I got 2 remote keys as per picture 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok great - cheers guys. I'll have to give the dealer a call and clarify where that other key is, perhaps they lost it? Is there anything i can check to make sure it has remote central locking or is there nothing obvious to show that?

Where do you guys buy your bits from, i.e. modifications etc, is there a main site you all use?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The key looked like the first one in your image there mate, although it had no buttons at all on it, just had to put it in the door to unlock, made me wonder whether you get one remote fob and the other is a plain key?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine came with one of each. Beware, the non-plipper doesn't turn off the alarm on my car. Very embarrassing when I used the wrong one and woke up the neighbourhood :)

Mine has Chilli and came with Xenons, helpfully, it actually say's Xenon on the chrome inner of the headlight. The early ones don't have the projector type bulbs though, there is a diffuser lens.

P.S. Welcome

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine came with one of each. Beware, the non-plipper doesn't turn off the alarm on my car. Very embarrassing when I used the wrong one and woke up the neighbourhood :)

Mine has Chilli and came with Xenons, helpfully, it actually say's Xenon on the chrome inner of the headlight. The early ones don't have the projector type bulbs though, there is a diffuser lens.

P.S. Welcome
Ah ha thanks alot mate, that clears things up! So it looks as if they've potentially lost the other key and i'll have to get a new one, any idea how much these cost? At a guess its about £100?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I got my 52 cooper s in May and it only had one key, other had been lost along the way. However I have the automated one only. It has a MINI logo at the top to press to open and a small round button to lock. I enquired about getting a spare as was cautious about only having one and was told it would likely be in excess of £200!! If you are getting from a main dealer I would insist they include a replacement if it is missing. Good luck!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jennie - unfortunately its not from a Mini dealer its from a small garage. Im going to ask if they can get a replacement but I doubt they will, £200, blimey thats ridiculous!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks Jennie - unfortunately its not from a Mini dealer its from a small garage. Im going to ask if they can get a replacement but I doubt they will, £200, blimey thats ridiculous!!
There is no harm in asking, and if they think the deal will fall through unless they get one... :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
No mine wasn't from a main dealer either, hence still only have one key. I would be interested to know how you get on as a 2nd key would be great, I dropped mine down the loo the other day! Still works thank goodness. Hope you enjoy your new car...have fun!

·
Registered
44 Posts
No mine wasn't from a main dealer either, hence still only have one key. I would be interested to know how you get on as a 2nd key would be great, I dropped mine down the loo the other day! Still works thank goodness. Hope you enjoy your new car...have fun!
Dropped it down the loo?!? There must be a funny story in there somewhere :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not really....I had the key in my pocket and with out going into too much detail has I pulled my trousers up I heard an odd noise (splashing and somthing hitting the bowl) It then dawned on me it was my keys! Thinking of the electrics I plunged my hand straight in and used much disinfectant later. I have found it great for stopping my husband nicking my car though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts