MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D

Have just bought a 1yr old dark silver cooper S (chilli pack), got it for a great price and got a good trade in price for my old car, so all in all a great deal. Drove a Cooper S works at the dealership this morning, a 200bhp 2003 model, was expecting to be blown away. It was quieter at startup, and when I gave it some stick, it actually felt no different to the Cooper S I have just bought, which is a standard, non tuned model. I don't understand, the Works didn't feel any faster at all. A real disappointment.

I'm going to run my car as standard for a few months and then consider getting the 210 bhp Works upgrade, but will try out another Works cooper S before I part with my money to make sure its worth it and makes a difference. Has anyone else experienced this? The Works S was quite cheap, £17k for a 1year old ex demo car with one prev owner, but had all the trademark Works insignia. Was it really a Works??? :eek: I'm not convinced.

Cooky

·
Damned
4,534 Posts
Hi,
If you`ve only just picked up your MCS I suppose it might be because you arn`t yet fully aquainted with its "Feel" to guage the subtle differences between it & a JCW.
You can usually tell a JCW by the slightly different Compressor whine & acceleration on a good stretch of road, but around town any differences would be hardly discernable.
Why not post some pics of your car up here & show it off a bit :)

Oh ... Welcome to MINI2 :cool:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Congrats on the S

Have had 2 MCS and driven the Works on my own for about 2 hours and boy is there a difference its noticably quicker and it wouldnt be in such a high insurance group if it wasnt.

But that does sound cheap for a Works S unless some Boy racer has got hold of one already and put Works decals on it nooooooooooooooooo!

Theres a 52 plate S Works on JCW website for £16500 with the works 18inch wheels on which seemed quite reasonable, am guessing the one youve seen is a bit of a bare bones model still a good price for a year old car though

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mate, glad to join the forum and Mini community! :D

There were a couple of cool things on the works MCS that I liked. The privacy glass was a nice touch, and there was the visibility pack (heated front window) which worked a treat. But as for instant low down performance, I didn't really notice much difference. Fair point though, I am new to the MCS, and I am looking forward to getting to know the car and its performance in the next few months. Eventually I think I will go for the Works conversion to give it more punch.

I have to say I was really impressed with the MCS, first test drive was this week. It felt lively and sounded great. As soon as I turned the key I smiled at its exhaust note. The whole car feels like its been put together well, and it drives brilliantly, turning in very accurately to corners with almost no body roll. I like the short precise gear changes too, and that supercharger whine, i think I will be hearing that noise a lot more in the future!!! Its quick enough too, easily hitting 70 mph when on the move at low speeds. I know what fast cars are like because my dad has a new M3 which I have driven plenty of. Even he was impressed when he drove the MCS!!

We both noticed a little bit of wind noise when the car was up at 90-100mph with the radio off. Guess thats incentive not to hit those speeds, plus the fines and points on the licence. Wouldn't notice it with the stereo cranked up.

Here are a few pics...

Here it is, your stereo typical dark silver MCS, but I love it!! :p

Have a couple of ideas for modifications. Would like to get the windows tinted for that cool effect like the privacy glass package. Also would like to ditch the roof graphic and go for the black roof. Gonna put my minidisc headunit & 10Cd changer instead of the single shot cd player. Am open to anymore suggestions. Car is pretty standard, Cooper S with chilli pack at the moment. Am gonna pick the car up on saturday, can't wait!! Next week gonna take it down to Cambridge to see my big brother, might have to see how the supercharger holds up against his new elise!

Cooky

PS - the Works car I drove was an '03 plate with the chilli pack and visibility pack with white alloys. Didn't have any JCW kit like the seats or body kit etc. Was pretty bare, all for £16995 from a BMW mini dealer!. Thought I would drive it and then be well disappointed with the standard MCS, glad I'm not!! Am sure its much better tho, after all it has 47bhp more than my MCS, so in 4-5 months I'll probably try it again, then get mine upgraded. Adios

·
Registered
668 Posts
john_cook said:
Drove a Cooper S works at the dealership this morning, a 200bhp 2003 model, was expecting to be blown away. It was quieter at startup, and when I gave it some stick, it actually felt no different to the Cooper S I have just bought, which is a standard, non tuned model. I don't understand, the Works didn't feel any faster at all. A real disappointment.
Seems strange. When I first drove a JCW demonstrator it immediately felt more "urgent" than my own MCS, even trundling along at 30mph in town. When I had my car converted it certainly felt a lot different to the standard car.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Unfortunately you will get wind noise at high speed in a car aerodynamically brick like :D However i find it difficult to hear it over the supercharger at 4500 rpm :D :D :D

Good luck with the new car! and welcome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.