MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent a day without the coop, wifey offed it to go to her work ! :(

The coop has made me change my opinion a wee bit regarding "my car", a Corrado VR6. I used to believe that the Corrado had a fantastic chassis and was a weapon of a "b-road" country crosser but after spending 5 days in the mini and then returning to the corrado it feels loose, bloated and unresponsive (it still has a fantasic 2.9V6 mind you !) - bear in mind that this is a car that featured in several uk motoring mags in their reckoning for one of the top 10 cars of 90's. My one is not far off a 6 digit mileage but has a full VAG history and recent shocker changes so should be handling pretty much as per standard. In fact, in a race I think I'd put my money on me in the mini versus me in the VR6 over a good b road and that is with giving away 80 odd BHP :D

Anyway to get to the point, the cooper has in 5 days completely changed the dynamic benchmark that I was previously used to - and I've had some motors in the past that were supposed to handle a bit including a 205 gti, sunny GTI-R, Nissan 200sx, Toyota Mr-2 and various BMW's :p

So to conclude I think that is a pat on the back for the new Mini from me particulary as it seems we are one of the chosen ones that hasn't picked up a directionaly challenged one ;)

Now, seeing as my wife is now home I think it is time I went off out for a 4500 rpm thrash ! :D :D :D :D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
gago,
Cool, sounds like you're having a blast ! Don't forget to post loads more pics, it could be down to you if I finally choose yellow !
On the colour theme, I'd be interested to know how easy it is to live with ?
Just hope I have as much fun when mine arrives, eventually !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smartbomb
If anything the colour is 'a grower' - I wasn't so sure to start with but the more I see it the more I like it - s'pecially with the white 17's mmmmmm

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Yeah I love the official pics too of the yellow with 17s, I think that's one of the first few pics I had seen and loved it from day one.
I may go for the 17s, but am on a bit of a budget, so can't go too mad. Bearing in mind the 17s on to pof chili as the mulit changer and boost. However I'd be saving £250 by not choosing metallic....decisions, decisions...
Thing is your car looks so damn awesome !

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Nice post, thanks for something a bit more positive.
Smartbomb, how about silkgreen with a black roof. Seeing it in the flesh is a real eye opener. My dealer had a yellow with black, silkgreen with black, and both with white roofs as well. It was a good day to decide on the colour. Silk green does look nice in the flesh. But, then again, all colours have an appeal of some sort. The MINI looks good in all colours. Not much help i suppose:)

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
S & B no chance of any pictures ?
I have seen a few different colurs with the black roof, but personally think that the white looks much smarter.
The silk green and white Cooper just exuded class...
Colour is such a subjective thing, but when I'm spending 13k I wanna get it right, it's not like buying a new sweater !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Silkgreen and black looks good too - seen some pix of that and it looks a lot better than it sounds, but like you say smartbomb, colour and option choice are very subjective, We were originally going to order a red/white one until wifey clocked the yellow/white combo already in stock at the dealer with most of the options we fancied, this coupled with immediate availability swung it for us. Our local dealer still has some nice optioned-up minis in-stock at the moment, the mini sales dude said they'd been allocated some extras by beemer cause they had secured so many orders - but that could be bull and all dealers are getting some extras for their forecourts I just dunno ! :)

Have any of your local dealers got brand spankers in stock at list price ?

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
g.a.g.o
I may be in touch with my dealer real soon, if he's some variations on colour I may pop up and have a look. The other dealer near me has a Cooper for sale at list, but isn't my cup of tea spec-wise. My dealer told me that the more cars they sold in 01 would affect allocation in 02. Any chance of some more pics sometime pretty please, I have a BIG decision to make and I don't think I can do it on my own !

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm jealous! Corrado SLC, and a MINI Cooper! Lucky Dog!:D

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
goneandgotone,
I have specified delivery for the beginning of April, but this can be altered as I have car to sell. Hopefully I can stick to this date, and all my finances 'fall into place'.
I have checked out your gallery, thanks for the link, a number of times ! The yellow is a real 'smack in the face' colour and I just love your Cooper !
I guess I have to confirm delivery date and final spec by mid-February. This gives me plenty of time to change my mind ! Thing is I am the only person I know who loves the yellow, they keep pointing at blue. If they gave me the £250 I may consider it !
For now I reckon it's gonna be yellow, I may go for the 17s, I just have to shift a bit more stuff !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spoolin, what does SLC stand for, I presume VW must have appended these letters stateside !:D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
smartbomb said:
The yellow is a real 'smack in the face' colour....
Thing is I am the only person I know who loves the yellow, they keep pointing at blue. If they gave me the £250 I may consider it !..
Smart..take it from an 'all Yellow' owner, the Yellow really does get under your skin after about 2 seconds..;) I considered the Blue too, but in the UK it can look really dark and funereal under the grey skys we get over here..:( Have a look at my Gallery pics - there are comparison pics of my local dealers blue ONE taken in sunshine and on a grim day and they look like 2 different cars. On a grim day, there's nothing quite like walking up to your cheery Yellow MINI for putting a smile on your face. When you're in the car you're having so much fun driving the thing that it could be bright puce with violet stripes and you wouldn't notice!

There are also pics of my old Yellow Cinq Sporting with some pics of my new Yellow ONE. The Cinq colour is the same shade of Yellow as the MINI appears in all the publicity shots, whereas the 'actual' shots show the car as it really is (i.e. about 1 tone lighter).

The good thing about the MINI is that it looks pretty cheeky whichever colour you go for, but the 'serious' colours (black, silver, BRG, blue) make it look mean and agressive at the same time. For me, the name Mini doesn't say 'mean and aggressive' to me and I guess that's what ultimately made me go for the cheery colour..:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
You're right - all the MINI colours are tempting.

I originally ordered a Black Cooper with white roof, and then changed my order to Red with white roof. The reason was my concern about keeping the black car clean. I chose red as I have red cars before and they were easy to look after and popular when it came to re-sale.

I have seen a number of tempting combinations including Indi Blue with white roof and 17" white wheels, and Liquid Yellow with white roof and silver 17" wheels.

Good luck with the choice, you will spend hours thinking about the combinations!!:)

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Dogger,
Thanks ! I have looked at every gallery in hunt for pics ! I'll re-visit yours as suggested. I agree that the colours do look quite different in natural light. The yellow looks very vibrant in the showroom, but tones down outside. The blue I feel is too dark for me, I'd prefer something more like tahiti blue - a Rover colour.
I'm still hooked on yellow and reckon that's what it'll be. As you say I'm gonna have a dirty great big grin just from looking at it ! One guy I asked for advice asked what colour car I enjoyed owning the most, which was my bright yellow MGB, so I suppose that's the answer !

Garry,
I'm tempted to go for the 17s on yellow, but it's the small matter of spiralling costs ! I could go for the multi changer for the same money. Or fit my old system and go for th e17s.....now another tough decision !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts