MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and had a fantastic drive back from Worthing :) Couldn't take the camera - somebody else at the office needed it for work :rolleyes: so I've only got some piccies I took once I got it back here - I'll post up them tomorrow.

First thoughts? The way Tommy (as the Mrs has called it - I'll leave you to figure out why) takes roundabouts is astonishing (much more confidence-inspiring than the Griffith) - the uprated Spax suspension means hardly any body roll and loads of grip (giving way to understeer on the greasy roads today, mind you - I might have to soften the adjustable front suspension a couple of notches. Hey, do I sound like I know what I'm talking about? Cos I don't :) ), and the JCW exhaust gives a v nice rorty note. No creaks or rattles from the car itself, but the rollcage is rubbing against the headlining which causes an annoying noise, and the fire extinguisher pin rattles like a good un, but a bit of blu-tak should fix that. No pull to the left either, but I guess the new suspension would stop that anyway. Slick gearchange & clutch, nicely placed pedals for heel & toeing, and the uprated brakes have loads of feel and stop it well - although it's all being run in of course, so I haven't had a real chance to tonk it yet.

Saw a couple of MINIs coming the other way and got flashed both times - cool!

AND, a bloke came to see the TVR this pm and it looks like I might have a deal, so although I'll be sad to see her go, it had to be done. Just in time too, so it was a pretty good day really. Might have to change my user name to exTVRman :(

All in all, one happy MINI punter - can't wait for that trackday at Goodwood! See you there...

Andy

PS look out for the photos!

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
That is really spooky - look at the timne I posted Racers Racer has arrived to the Genreal Discussion exactly the same time !

The car is brill! I can't type about it I'm too excited!!!

My roll cage rubs in the same place and the missus has already thought about chucking the pin from the extinguisher out of the window -

Can't believe that suspension is only set on 5 of a possible 25 nothces (1 = soft 25 = hard) I reckon the car would shake to bits on about 15!!

PM / Email me about mats :)

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I misheard/misunderstood, but I thought Kevin (the JCC mechanic at JCW) said it was 1 to 10 on the Spax, so it's set halfway...?

·
Registered
448 Posts
You lucky, lucky people.

If I was a MINI colour, it'd be British Racing Green With Envy right now.

I need to arrange a quick lottery win, and I'd be able to join you on the grid next season. In the real world, that's mathematically unlikely (indeed, completely impossible as I don't play the lottery) so I'll just have to make do with cheering from the sidelines. I promise I will make it to at least one event this season.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
Viscount Charles said:
You lucky, lucky people.

If I was a MINI colour, it'd be British Racing Green With Envy right now.

I need to arrange a quick lottery win, and I'd be able to join you on the grid next season. In the real world, that's mathematically unlikely (indeed, completely impossible as I don't play the lottery) so I'll just have to make do with cheering from the sidelines. I promise I will make it to at least one event this season.
I thought everyone could affod to Race in your profession just afraid of the litigation in case they gave some a nudge going into padock on the last lap of the championship with only a point in it........(oops there I go getting carried away)

On a serious note most championships have the ability to rent a car for the weekend / race that way you get to do it when you can afford it

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
TVRman said:
giving way to understeer on the greasy roads today, mind you - I might have to soften the adjustable front suspension a couple of notches.
does your cars come with ASC+T as standard then, or can you not fit it?
i imagine if you do have it it was turned off to induce the understeer?

·
Ex-Mini2 Racer & Sponsor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi

No ASC+T fitted, or allowed under the rules - or desirable anyway, for racing. It would cut in too early when you were pushing the car near the limit, and unsettle the car too much.

·
Blast from the past !
1,309 Posts
TVRman said:
Maybe I misheard/misunderstood, but I thought Kevin (the JCC mechanic at JCW) said it was 1 to 10 on the Spax, so it's set halfway...?
Defintely said 25 to me - One way to find out I suppose!! - If you don't hear from me again you know 25 was undriveable:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
What road tyres are fitted to your car ( size &type ) please?
When you race on track what tyres are fitted?
Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts