MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, last night, I was driving to pick my brother up and stopped outside his house and he has very high curbs and and I slammed into the kurb like a numpty!!! (dunno what I was doing :rolleyes: ) tbh I just wasnt paying enough attention :'(

I have scruffed my alloy quite bad, but I can live with it, My question is, because I took a quiet a big knock to the front wheel, do I need to get anything checked out, alignment of the wheels, balance etc.

My car always had a slight pull to the left, and even BMW said this was normal (prob a lie) but its still there, and dont think it has got any worse.

But I wanna be safe than sorry, and am wondering if and what is best to go get checked out.

Cheers

edit: just thought, this might be better in the faults section,.... maybe? sorry.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i'd say eye sight, there not hard to miss.......lol

Check the tyre firstly to makesure no gashes or large nicks out of it. Then you may want to visually check up behind the wheel to make sure everything is still solid and nothing appears to be amiss. If you have a jack whack it up and forcably move the wheel on the hub and again check the arms and suspension.

Unfortunately unless its really bad you won;t be able to visually check the tracking, so if you are that worried or feel strange behaviour when driving, you will need to get the tracking checked by a garage or tyre place. These are always worth doing anyway.

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'd say eye sight, there not hard to miss.......lol

Check the tyre firstly to makesure no gashes or large nicks out of it. Then you may want to visually check up behind the wheel to make sure everything is still solid and nothing appears to be amiss. If you have a jack whack it up and forcably move the wheel on the hub and again check the arms and suspension.

Unfortunately unless its really bad you won;t be able to visually check the tracking, so if you are that worried or feel strange behaviour when driving, you will need to get the tracking checked by a garage or tyre place. These are always worth doing anyway.

LOL tell me about it, I have had these Alloys on for around 2 years now and not ONCE have at even slightly scuffed it. so im really annoyed with myself that I didnt see it!!!

My car has always had a slight pull to the left, but BMW told me was normal... lol.

I think tonight after I finish work, I will check to see if they is any play in the wheel, it has taken a small nik out of the tyre but like a thin shaving is hanging off, prob about 1/2mm thick.

really annoyed :angry:

·
Mini Lover
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
id say unless you can feel a problem when driving dont worry about it
Yeah, I cannot notice any difference tbh.

Out of interest, does any ones mini steer slightly to the left?

For example, the middle stiching on the steering wheel, goes not line up with the 4 on the rev counter, its always maybe 1CM to the left of it. (if you get what I mean) but thats always been like that, and pulls a little tothe left.

but like i said BMW checked it twice and told me that it was normal ....:confused:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
ive had 2 minis and both have steered slightly to the left, i think its mainly to do with the camber of the road though

·
Registered
754 Posts
See those dodgy tints you had put on the front windows are coming home to haunt you:wink:

Seriously you would notice it, if there was any serious damage. Also check that you steering wheel is centered properly when the wheels are pointing straight ahead. I did something similar once and the steering wheel was knocked way off kilter, cost quite a lot to get BMW to do a KDS check on it, but it was all adjustments in the end.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
Done just leave it!
Take it too a garage and get it checked out to be on the safe side.

My car pulled to the left then i got it realigned and it went straight but the wheel was slightly out(steering wheel)

Now with the coilovers everything is straight.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts