MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Longtime I have not logged in. I have had my Mini Cooper Checkmate since August 2006 (new). I have had no problems at all with it, it works well. I currently have 12700KM on the clock.
I have been thinking about changing it for the new Mini. Quick Comparison

new Mini Cooper vs 2006 Mini Cooper
New Mini has a better engine (Supposedly) (plus)
Uses Less gas than than the Checkmate (plus)

Checkmate Interior I find more stylish, ( I really hate the new dash board), The checkmate with
the chrono packet is really cool.
Nice color and Rims of the Checkmate
Very reliable, never been in the garage except of tyre change

Basically I love my car. But I am having the new car itch. Does it spell sense to give up my Exclusive Mini Checkmate for the new Mini.

WHAT AM I MISSING OUT ON.

Please give me your opinions.

Thanks,
Toad

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think you should keep the one you have. Its been good to you - its realiable - its still new - its not old at all!

And yeah you might save a bit on fuel on the newer engine but your gonna pay loads to buy one in the first place!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i really like the new R56, feels wierd saying that, but my mind changed quite a bit once te JCW kit came out,

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Hi All,

Longtime I have not logged in. I have had my Mini Cooper Checkmate since August 2006 (new). I have had no problems at all with it, it works well. I currently have 12700KM on the clock.
I have been thinking about changing it for the new Mini. Quick Comparison

new Mini Cooper vs 2006 Mini Cooper
New Mini has a better engine (Supposedly) (plus)
Uses Less gas than than the Checkmate (plus)

Checkmate Interior I find more stylish, ( I really hate the new dash board), The checkmate with
the chrono packet is really cool.
Nice color and Rims of the Checkmate
Very reliable, never been in the garage except of tyre change

Basically I love my car. But I am having the new car itch. Does it spell sense to give up my Exclusive Mini Checkmate for the new Mini.

WHAT AM I MISSING OUT ON.

Please give me your opinions.

Thanks,
Toad

KEEP YOUR CAR. The one you have is a special cooper s and there aren't many of them about. If you get an R56, you'll have just another mini (no offence to owners of the non special edition models.) However, if you really need a new car, buy a sidewalk! Keep the different nature of the special edition models. Anyway, your old car is hardly old is it - August 06 and 12700km.:puzzled::confused:

That's about 7900 miles. OK the sidewalk won't combat your engine concern, but think of the extra cash you would have to put in to get a car with the same spec, and use that to buy more petrol. Sell it when the TLC runs out - get the most out of it. Remember, with a seven, park lane, checkmate you are a member of a unique group - the owners of a special edition many and there aren't many of us about!:nice:

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Keep the CM :)
Why get rid of it if it hasn't let you down? Save your money :)

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
As MOS and other have said - Keep the Checkmate. The LE's will in the future become more desirable whereas if you buy an R56 you'll have the same as everyone else. Its good to be different
Every MINI is different - that's the beauty of the car ;) To be honest, there are quite a number of LE's out there. I believe 12,000 LE Mini's were sold (combined) in their first year of launch. Probably quite a few more than that out there now.

I swapped my checkmate for an R56 D, but that was because I couldn't justify the £££ it was costing me after relocating and getting a new house (I now do about 15000 miles a year). Though I don't regret my decision one bit, if I did fewer miles, I might have kept the Checkmate. It sounds to me like you're just itching for the 'new car' feeling. With your miles and what you've said already, I'm not sure changing now will make you happy - maybe keep the checkmate for another year. After all, they'll still be making R56's in 12 months, not Checkmates.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Definately keep the checkmate. It is such a lovely car as it stands.

Now if they made a checkmate r56 S:D
If we're lucky. However, we are more likely to see different limited editions. The Seven, Park Lane and Checkmate are based on old special editions found on the Rover Mini. We may see different ones though like a Cooper Mayfair!

We'd be better off with different special editions - keep the existing ones different. I'd prefer different special editions to avoid replacing the current ones. As much as I like the current ones.;) (I am biased though!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts