MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 week old Mini and have already noticed that the black wheel arch covers are a little susceptible to getting scuffed by those walking by, probably laptop bags etc.

What's the best cleaner/restorer to use on them.....Holts do a 'Back to Black' product but is it the right thing, and any good?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sure you'll get responses for the best dressing and cleaner in your area.
For entertainment/education, do a search for "peanut butter":)

·
Master of the Lost Boys
947 Posts
taylona said:
I have a 2 week old Mini and have already noticed that the black wheel arch covers are a little susceptible to getting scuffed by those walking by, probably laptop bags etc.

What's the best cleaner/restorer to use on them.....Holts do a 'Back to Black' product but is it the right thing, and any good?

Actually in my opinion any Bumper Black product will do. My wife started to use it on hers and I was amazed at how much better the car looked with them all being done, so I do mine too. I think she uses a "cheapo" Wilkinsons 99p bumper black too!!!

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
i use stuff that comes out like a gel. got it from halfords, its in a blue bottle and was about a tenner, think it might have been 'mer' but not sure (too lazy to go to the garage to look!). it gives a really nice waterproof coat, and it also brings up other bits of black trim/plastic like the rear wiper and between the roof and the glass an absolute treat. Definitely recommend it!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Peanut oil it will be! By golly, I've read much about peanut butter, but we also use peanut oil (among other cooking oils) at home. So why not if it's cheaper? Besides, if I use up all that gooey peanut butter on the black trim, what do i do for p*****b***** and jelly sandwich? :D :yellow: :yellow:

·
Slippery When Wet
2,556 Posts
Peanut oil/butter is great for removing wax residue, but its not going to do much of anything for scratches, scuffs or as a protectant. I've heard great things about Stoner Trim Shine and seen the results in person - never used it myself, but it looks to be a great product. ;)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Most of the bumper finishes trap you into a vicious circle of polishing, because when they wear off it looks worse than when you started! All I want to do is get the trim properly clean without any finish on it at all!

I'm experimenting with MINI's own Plastic Care Emulsion which sounds like just the job - will let you know how i get on!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started off using 303 cleaner then 303 protectant.
looked good for only a short time .

Now I have changed over to 1Z plastic protectant stuff and it looks real good a lot longer.

·
Registered
658 Posts
lightbody said:
Most of the bumper finishes trap you into a vicious circle of polishing, because when they wear off it looks worse than when you started! All I want to do is get the trim properly clean without any finish on it at all!
______

If that is the case, then simply use your regular car wash detergent.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried the Autoglm product and it seemed to do the trick. There was only one wheel arch that needed it so I applied it to that only. It seemed to work very well.....but what happens in 6 months time when some kind person scuffs it? Wouldn't you then need to use something that has a black colourant in it?

How have the black bits stood the vigour of time with those that have had their Mini's a while?

Thanks, by the way, for the comments so far.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I heard about using peanut oil to remove the white residue...but didn't have any in my cupboard, so I used olive oil, sparingly on one small section....looked great..very black and clean looking even after a couple washes...so I did the trim all the wayaround and happy with the results....residue permanently gone

Has anyone any thoughts on using an oil, such as olive, on a regular basis or is it better to use it only rarely?

·
Registered
104 Posts
303 Aerospace potectant works really well,as does Zaino Z16. If you apply these to the plastic trim before waxing (the car, not the plastic trim :D ) you will have zero problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts