MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Cooper D with white wheels. Trouble is that after driving about 100mm the wheels look dirty again. I do expect to clean the wheels more often than with silver, but this is a bit ridiculous.

So to the question. The dealer has offered me a treatment called Metalmate. Has anybody here used it? Does it keep the wheels easy to clean? At the moment, being all shiny and new, the dirt comes off easily, but with winter coming up I see a need for some sord of enhanced protection.

I have used Poorboys wheel sealant in the past, but this still allowed dust to adhere strongly to the wheels. Having said that, the dust was in big hot fragments that literally bonded themselves deep into the paint.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Chris

·
Noob
247 Posts
I find it impossible to keep the wheels clean if you drive Mini lots. It's so frustrating. I've heard that changing your pads to something like the EBC Green Stuff will help quite a bit as there is much much less brake dust?

I will try that when my pads need changing next.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it impossible to keep the wheels clean if you drive Mini lots. It's so frustrating. I've heard that changing your pads to something like the EBC Green Stuff will help quite a bit as there is much much less brake dust?

I will try that when my pads need changing next.

I will be driving it lots. Picked it up Monday and have just under 700 miles on it so far. It is my driving school car and it ferries me around the country on consulting trips.

Chris

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
A lot of people on here recommend waxing the wheels to create a barrier between the paint and the brake dust... mine are atrocious (i have a dooper too) but i go the mini cleaning pack as a freebie with my mini and it works very well. When that runs out i'll wax the wheels and get some astonish or something.

·
Registered
476 Posts
A lot of people on here recommend waxing the wheels to create a barrier between the paint and the brake dust... mine are atrocious (i have a dooper too) but i go the mini cleaning pack as a freebie with my mini and it works very well. When that runs out i'll wax the wheels and get some astonish or something.
Agree with thetope, I use RIMWAX which I find is good and although you will get dirt etc clinging to it, it is a lot easier to wipe out and it seals the wheels preventing tar, brake dust etc sticking to it permanently. Just wipe any c$%p away after your journey. Smells lvly too!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I prep them with Poor Boys World Wheel Wax.
About 3 layers is enough to make washing off brake dust easier. Then routinely washing them (about once a week) will prevent a build up of brake dust.

·
w' all the toys..
891 Posts
Yep..
^^^what he said..

Take the wheels off and give 3 coats of PoorBoys Wheel Sealant 3 times a year.
Makes your wheels look great - you won't believe the flake pop and how glossy they look (well S-Spokes anyway) + you can clean them just with water and a small amount of car shampoo, brake dust simply won't stick.

Megs endurance tyre gel as a final touch make the overall wheel package look really amazing..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep..
^^^what he said..

Take the wheels off and give 3 coats of PoorBoys Wheel Sealant 3 times a year.
Makes your wheels look great - you won't believe the flake pop and how glossy they look (well S-Spokes anyway) + you can clean them just with water and a small amount of car shampoo, brake dust simply won't stick.

Megs endurance tyre gel as a final touch make the overall wheel package look really amazing..
I used Poorboys Wheel sealant before and was none too impressed with the results. Maybe I will try more layers. Still wondering if anyone here has tried Metalmate?

Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
My S is 5yrs old this month and I have white wheels also so lived with this issue for some time.....

TBH I probably dont clean them enough compared to some of the guys in this post (clean it every couple of weeks or so).

Tried a few techniques but now ended up cleaning them using either wonder wheels or Meguiars hot rims (both acid cleaners which are pretty aggressive but no obvious wheel damage due to this stuff). I then seal them using Autoglym wheel sealer - this is an aerosol spray which I think is effictively some kind of wax to help prevent dust bonding to the wheels. I also bought a stiff wheel brush from Autoglym which helps (I tried a Meguiars one but didnt get on with it).

In the past I used nylon pan scourer to get real stubborn brake dust off and have started to notice that I am down to the primer is some small areas of the wheels. Hence this isnt an ideal technique. Although I guess 5yrs life isnt too bad - I will get them refurbed at some point.....

I changed the rear pads to EBC redstuff which are performance brake pads which allegedly create less dust. I read on here that Greenstuff are better in terms of even less dust but several people have found their braking performance poor so personally I avoided them.

Was going to get redstuff for the front brakes too but I have found that the rear discs have warped pretty quickly which I put down (at least partly) to the redstuff pads and TBH they have only slightly less dust than OEM (maybe 25% less dust).

I am going to try GTT supplied pads instead plus GTT discs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it had to get worse before it got better. I had tried to keep the wheels clean, but the dust had started to stain the white wheel paint in places once the car had been driven in the wet. No amount of scrubbing with car shampoo and a mitt would get the staining off, so I finally had to resort to using Wonder Wheels. This stuff cleans almost anything off of wheels, but it is strongly acidic and very aggressive.

Thought I would try the best Wax I know, Collinite 476s. This is a hard wax that is rated as detergent proof. Certainly it is the most durable stuff I have ever used on the bodyshell and it helps keep the car clean and water running off for ages (12 months + on a driving school car). Applied one coat to the wheels, allowed to harden for 20 minutes then burnished off. All I can say is wow. Cleaning the wheels is now just a simple wipe with a wet microfibre mitt. The dirt literally wipes off with no scrubbing whatsoever.

So although it is not rated as a wheel sealant, it seems to do an excellent job on the wheels.

Chris

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Polishing your wheels with Autoglym or something won't make the dust stop, but it will make them a lot easier to clean... Hope this helps:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts