MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why my 2004 MCS' speedo is not fitted with a mph reading. Found it odd, everytime i went to the states, didnt really know EXACTLY how fast i was going, i just knew 100km/h is 60mph...and then i estimate after that...haha...anyone have an answer for me? just curious.

~ Darren

· Registered
729 Posts
KPH is Metric right?

I reckon they give countries with MPH both because we are all going Metric (KPH) in the end, so our cars are ready for the conversion.

Countries already metric (kph) won't be going back to imperial so hence they don't give you both.. It's all part of getting the world moving on from feet to meters, inches to cm and mph to kph..

(Remember what happened to Nasa's Climate Orbiter Spacecraft ) ;)

· Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm...i just thought it was fairly standard to have both km/h and mph on cars within North America. Of course in Canada, the km/h would be the dominant reading on the speedo with the smaller mph reading inset and vice versa for our neighbours to the south. Every car that I've ever driven/ridden (is that a word?) in has always had both...making it a little stranger for me now. i've also had it mentioned by my friends when they're in the car... :confused:

· Registered
640 Posts
I always use the digital speedo option on the trip computer displayed on the tacho when I'm driving rather than the analogue one on the speedo. This is because it is more directly in front of you than the centrally mounted speedo and also one of the other cars we own (Citroen Picasso) has a digital sppedo so I'm kind of used to it. Also my other car (Triumph GT6) with an analogue speedo is pretty old (1971) and the speedo is very worn (150,000 miles!) and the needle sort of bounces around over a 20 - 30mph range (eg at 90MPH it swings between about 75 and 105 MPH :mad: ), I'm therefoe not used to taking analogue speedo's seriously although I'm sure the MINI one is accurate.

One option the Citroen has which is really useful is that as part of the trip computer fuinction you can opt to change from imperial (mph, gallons, etc) to metric (KMH, litres etc). This was an excellent option when we took the Citroen to Europe this summer as we changed the display to metric while we were over there. A pity the MINI doesn't have this option, or is it available and I haven't found it yet :confused:

· What's this button do?
568 Posts
Can you change the display on the tachometer to read in MPH? (assuming you don't have one of the 47 options that get rid of that...) That would give you MPH on one hand, to keep from running afoul of the local constabulary, and KPH on the "big screen" so you actually know how fast you're going.
-Eric

· going or coming?
1,213 Posts
Here in Washington State they were in the process of changing to KPH about 25 years ago. All speed signs had both MPH and KPH. In the last 5-10 years they have all been changed back to MPH.

Never use the digital speedo myself (also wear an analog watch) However, I do always learn where certain speeds line-up on the Tach in 5th/6th gear when I get a new car. Not quite there with the MINI yet, but I do know if I'm in 6th and over 4,000 RPM, there had better not be a copper around or I'm in trouble.

· M5 Extraordinare!
7,034 Posts
Mini Me GB said:
KPH is Metric right?

I reckon they give countries with MPH both because we are all going Metric (KPH) in the end, so our cars are ready for the conversion.

Countries already metric (kph) won't be going back to imperial so hence they don't give you both.. It's all part of getting the world moving on from feet to meters, inches to cm and mph to kph..
So they say... I dont think it will happen anytime soon... maybe when cars fly, morph or teleport.

· M5 Extraordinare!
7,034 Posts
lespurgeon said:
I do always learn where certain speeds line-up on the Tach in 5th/6th gear when I get a new car. Not quite there with the MINI yet, but I do know if I'm in 6th and over 4,000 RPM, there had better not be a copper around or I'm in trouble.
Hehe some are easier than others... I know for the MINI in 2nd just knock off the two zeros and you got the MPH... in 5th knock off the two zeros and double the Tach and you got the MPH...

In Second:
2500 RPM = 25mph
3000 RPM = 30mph

and so on...

In Fifth:
2500 RPM = 50mph
3000 RPM = 60mph

and so on...

and in 6th all I know is as long as my tach is below 3000 RPM the cops wont bug me... 3000RPM = 70mph and 3200 is roughly 77-78 and thats too much already for the roads here in LA.

these measurements are fairly close... check it out next time.

Note: these are for the gearing for pre MY05s dont know about the post MY05s

· Welcome back...
1,429 Posts
In the States it may not be an issue of going Metric, but it has to do with the fact that if you want to drive your car in Canada, you have to have Kph on your speedo. (Some law or something according to my insurance company, which asks me every time I go for a waiver, that will cover me for driving in the The Great White North, if my speedo has both MPH and Kph.) I am not sure if it is the other way around as I know every rental car I have had up there, has only had a Kph speedo.

Winslow
:eb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.