MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else get knocking sound at low speed and over uneaven roads?

It goes away on the motorway.

I think it is from the rear of the car.

I've already had the boot hatch fixed to stop it rattling.

Has anyone else had knocking fixed? What was done?

I don't really want to take the car in again....

p.s is this an invitation for jokes about knockers?

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
A few poeple have heard a knocking from the rear of the car that turned out to be the rear seat base not being bolted down properly... try a search for that. May be worth a look?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Be seated?

I don't think so as I have had 4 people in the car and it doesn't go away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It could be a problem with your balls!!! When the boot is closed, the strings that lift the parcel shelf have balls on them that swingaround and can knock against the side of the boot. Try sticking them to the parcel shelf or something like that.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Finally !!!

Mooser,

A problem shared and all that....

I have a knocking that sounds as though something is loose. I checked the seat belt rattling against the plastic sides of the car. I checked the head rest (that do rattle). I'm not really sure what it could be at the moment, although my suspicions lie with either the rear seat/boot fixings and/or the rear shelf.

The next time it stops raining for more than two hours I'll have a look around the car for anything loose and let you know.

Until then if you find out what the problem is, let me know.

Cheers,
K.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hang on a minute.

I've seen the other threads about noises and this is more complicated than a trim type issue.

For instance if I go over a speed hump - knock (I don't go fast by the way)

Perhaps it is the exhaust or a suspension component? I havn't had time to check under the car.

I was curious to know really.

It's hard to give good info on a forum as my powers of description are not always at their peak.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thanks to this forum, mine was fixed

those advices in those threads helped and my knocking noise problem is over. i kept readjusting the rear seatbelts against the plastic before and wondering if it was my suspension cos sound seemed to come from rear seat area behind driver. since i re-positioned rear seats, boot fixings, rear shelf ...... there isn't even a squeak from my MINI now ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
A bit OT, but back in the 60's, a man bought a new Ford Galaxy. It had an annoying rattle every time he hit a bump. Numerous trips to the dealer could not find it, so they finally tore the car apart, literally. They found a Coke bottle welded up inside a rear fender well. Inside the bottle was a note that said "Rattles like hell, don't it." Let's hope that assembly line worker (who probably was never caught) doesn't have a relative working at Longbridge! :D

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
mr.bill said:
Let's hope that assembly line worker (who probably was never caught) doesn't have a relative working at Longbridge! :D
The new MINI is made at Cowley in Oxford, the old one was made at Longbridge in Birmingham.

Nice story though...

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
monsta said:
The new MINI is made at Cowley in Oxford, the old one was made at Longbridge in Birmingham.
Nice story though...
Acutally, the classic Mini was made at both Longbridge as well as Cowley for the first half of its life. Later, Longbridge became the sole factory making classic Minis.
I've got a '65 Morris Mini Traveller that was made at Cowley, so I'm happy that 37 years later my new MINI Cooper S will be built at the same location. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
ok.....back to the original reason for this post.

Mooser, I know what you are talking about I think !!

Correct me if I am wrong but.... the noise you are hearing is like a dull thud noise heard from the back of the car possibly from the rear suspension area (difficult to tell when you are driving along I know) but it is there when driving over uneven/rough road surfaces but once you get on a motorway or nice smooth road it disappears.

It is far to dull a noise to be a trim issue inside the car thats for sure, it sounds as if it is underneath. It is highly unlikely it was a tailgate latch either although I know there are a lot of people replacing these as they are asking for technical feedback from the dealers as to why they are being replaced (probably unneccisarily).

I have to admit I have not established what it is yet although I am going to get the lads in the workshop to look at mine once it goes in for a few other faults which should be in a few weeks.

If before then I find out what it causing it I will of course post again

Chip

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Outside?

There is a plastic tray thingy at the rear under my car that I want to check. I've also had a problem in the past where the fuel tank was loose - made the same kind of noise. Thinking about it this is possible as I've had the fuel sensors changed.

Exhausts can also knock on the underside of the car if the rubber stops fall off.

I know a lot of people have had trim issues - however knocking and rattles are usually caused by different problems.

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Summary

Great - it looks like we are sharing the same problem - A dull knocking from beyond the seat area.

So far we thin kit may be:
1) Loose rear seat, or rear seat in need of adjustment
2) Rear parcel shelf
3) Exhaust without rubber stop
4) Loose petrol tank - Oh my god !!
5) A coke can.

I really hope it is the seat as these can be tightstend wuite simply with the right tool from halfords, this may also explain why the rear parcel shelf rattle as it relies on the rear seat upright holding it firmly in place - if the seat is loose, everything else is.

I also remember that there is a thread explaining how to tighten the rear seats...

Good luck all - and share your solutions as you gain them.
K.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Investigations

OK!

After refitting yet another bit of trim that my dealer had mangled I had a quick look under the car.

If I push the petrol tank on either side and it does seem a bit loose - now I've had this before and all that needs to be done is tightening of the strap.

I still think the knocking is external.

I will be informing my dealer and getting it checked out.

There are another couple of faults still pending -

1. Discovered after washing my car water on the inside of the screen - I've had a new screen fitted so I'm not too pleased.
2. Grease on the rear foot mats - from the last time they had the car. (and glass from when they replaced the windscreen)
3. Petrol gauge fixed for 1 tank and now back to its old tricks (they flooded my car with petrol and forgot to mention it as well as leaving grease on the mats and not refitting the rear seat bench)

In my opinion it's not really the car that has a lot of faults it's the people at my dealership who do the fault rectification. They're always overbooked and rush everything, these are all 1 visit fixes unless they are done poorly. Another problem is that I can spot the mistakes as I'm a perfectionist and I look in the hidden places where mess is always left.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll have to get my dealer to look at this too. (along with the squeaky front seats and buzzing dashboard).
I can't tell whether mine is internal or external although I suspect it's external - it only started when the dealer replaced the bits for the fuel gauge fix - probably didn't attach the tank properly.
I've tried the rear seat base (wasn't in properly but it is now and the knocking is still there), the parcel shelf (and its dangly balls!), tried adjusting the stoppers on the rear hatch, the seat belts, the panels at the side of the boot etc.
It's a weird noise - it will do it on a change in surface or small bump in the road (mostly on the left of the car) but never does it on a pothole.
Otherwise I'm really happy with the car. As much as the BMW dealer might struggle to fix these things, I'm happy that their service is a hell of a lot better than I got from Ford in the past (would never ever buy another one!)

Plus I get a free cash wash and valet each time it goes in!
;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
stevearcher said:
As much as the BMW dealer might struggle to fix these things, I'm happy that their service is a hell of a lot better than I got from Ford in the past (would never ever buy another one!)

Plus I get a free cash wash and valet each time it goes in!
;)
I am not a million miles away from yourself - which dealer do you use?? Coventry???

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes. Godfrey Hall in Coventry.
Phoned them today - parts are in for my squeaky seats and its booked in for Friday for them and this knocking.
Found them to be really professional (especially compared to the local Ford dealers!)
They can normally offer lifts at fairly short notice (gave me a lift in a 530i Touring the other time) but as my car hasn't been in for more than a day at a time and I work in town I haven't tried getting a courtesy car yet.

·
Registered
121 Posts
stevearcher said:
Yes. Godfrey Hall in Coventry.
Glad to hear you have had good service, as I have my Cooper S on order from them. :D :D

·
Mulberry Red Mini 40
2013 R55 Bond Street
1,072 Posts
I have a "Solid" knock from the rear of the car when I go over a deep hole in the road. Interestingly it always happens on the offside rear of the car, but that may just be where the holes in the road I find are.

I had put it down to the suspension bottoming out. It never happens when I go over bumps, just holes.

And for our American friends, yes, the roads are that bad.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I thought it might be the petrol filler cap ......but it wasn't and have been wondering about the warning triangle rattling in it's box (fastened to the parcel shelf) have yet to test that one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts