MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of picking up some KW V1 suspension from the KW site.

And when I put my info in for my mini it doesn't come up with Hardtop.

I've got a 2012 Mini Cooper S hardtop.

the only options it says is:

FWD convertible
FWD Hatchback.

What do I choose for my hardtop??

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Caveman

and JohnnyC some sites comes up as Hardtop along with hatchback/convertible.

thank you

also im probably only going to be lowering it about 1.5 inches in the front and maybe 2.5 inches in the back.

will i need to get front and rear camber kits? im trying to keep the wheels straight.

·
Registered
271 Posts
As I explained Jordanfaf in his post Lowering Springs you can see there all data for Wheel Alignment on R56 Series. We have also V1 but before we had put them on I have changed all this : rear sway bar, front control arm bushing adjustable, adjustable front and rear endlinks, rear control arms and than coilovers. It was very expensive but at least I'm sure for the behavior and safety of the car when it is lowered. ( you have normal stroke of coilover and the wheels are in constant contact with the ground. The people don't understand that when you put a shorter springs to the standard coilover you actually are cutting off stroke of coilover it doesn't work throughout its stroke. When you hit the hole the wheel remains in the air and the problem is you are losing contact with the ground also your alignment is off).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wheel Alignment R56 Series
Front Axle:
Total toe: 0 deg. 12' +/- 5'
Camber: -30' +/- 25'
Camber (difference between left/right) max. 30'
Toe angle difference (difference between left/right) max. 30'
Front wheel displacement 15'
Maximum wheel lock:
- Inside wheel approx 36 deg. 48'
- Outside wheel approx 30 deg. 35'

Rear axle:
Total toe 24' +/- 08'
Camber -1 deg. 45' +/- 20'
Camber (difference between left/right) max. 30'
Geometrical axis deviation 10'

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Cooper R

thanks for the response! What brands would you recommend for all the adjustable parts and control arms/end links? Im really wanting to get some KW V1 coilovers. And in the future I was thinking of getting some 16x8 35et wheels with 205/45 tires.

thank you!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey Cooper R

thanks for the response! What brands would you recommend for all the adjustable parts and control arms/end links? Im really wanting to get some KW V1 coilovers. And in the future I was thinking of getting some 16x8 35et wheels with 205/45 tires.

thank you!

I have from Alta adjustable suspension parts and KW V1 coilovers.But I urge you to find a good expert to set the suspension, because it is not that easy to set up the car. And if you think to put this wheels later on you will not be able to put bigger brakes. The 16 inch wheels will not fit this brakes. You will need to go 17 inch and at least a 42 offset. Factory wheels are 48 offset for 17s and 52 for the 18s. This is only advice.:big_grin:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have from Alta adjustable suspension parts and KW V1 coilovers.But I urge you to find a good expert to set the suspension, because it is not that easy to set up the car. And if you think to put this wheels later on you will not be able to put bigger brakes. The 16 inch wheels will not fit this brakes. You will need to go 17 inch and at least a 42 offset. Factory wheels are 48 offset for 17s and 52 for the 18s. This is only advice.:big_grin:

Ah gotcha. as for the rear camber kit. do I need the 2 camber bars or 4? Ill keep an eye out for more wheels. Do you know of any good sites for wheels for a mini? Possibly lighter wheels. My mini is a daily driver. I just wanna make it look and drive good ::smile::

thanks again!

·
Registered
271 Posts
You need two rear endlinks and two rear control arms and of course one rear sway bar with this you will get unforgettable feeling of driving. For wheels it is a matter of taste, we have here in Europe a great choice. I don't know exactly a good site in USA.. We have OZ Italia 150 17 inch 42 offset and they are awesome, before we had flame spoke Mini wheels and they were horrible with run-flats.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need two rear endlinks and two rear control arms and of course one rear sway bar with this you will get unforgettable feeling of driving. For wheels it is a matter of taste, we have here in Europe a great choice. I don't know exactly a good site in USA.. We have OZ Italia 150 17 inch 42 offset and they are awesome, before we had flame spoke Mini wheels and they were horrible with run-flats.

for the rear sway bar is 19mm good? its not going to be a track car. just daily driver that is a little lower than stock and comfortable enough to go around the windy roads here.
Also the rear control arms is it 2 on each side like the picture?

thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
for the rear sway bar is 19mm good? its not going to be a track car. just daily driver that is a little lower than stock and comfortable enough to go around the windy roads here.
Also the rear control arms is it 2 on each side like the picture?

thanks again
You can later put adjustable 22mm sway bar and than with endlinks you can adjust the preload on sway. Yes you need two on each side :big_grin:
The one vertical's endlink and two approximately perpendicular are rear control arms and behind of the coilover with green spring in the top of the picture is left side of adjustable sway bar.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can later put adjustable 22mm sway bar and than with endlinks you can adjust the preload on sway. Yes you need two on each side :big_grin:
The one vertical's endlink and two approximately perpendicular are rear control arms and behind of the coilover with green spring in the top of the picture is left side of adjustable sway bar.
Gotcha! So if I order the all the camber bars/end links and sway bar for the rear and coilovers, is the settings you gave me good for daily driving?

thanks again

·
Registered
271 Posts
My wife drives it every day and she likes how car behaves but we have very nice roads and it is softer then my C63 when I'm driving. You will have stiffer ride, maybe you know someone who has a mini with a modified suspension so you can try it and then decide whether it suits you before you spend pile of money.Just a thought !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife drives it every day and she likes how car behaves but we have very nice roads and it is softer then my C63 when I'm driving. You will have stiffer ride, maybe you know someone who has a mini with a modified suspension so you can try it and then decide whether it suits you before you spend pile of money.Just a thought !
unfortunately I don't know anyone with a modified or even a stock mini hah. I'm completely new to the mini game and absolutely loving my mini.
why will my ride be stiffer? just wandering

thank you again

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can see on KW - site, factory pre-configured damping setup for KW V1 ( The dampers always work with a sporty characteristic ) so when we changed from stock to KW the ride was stiffer but this you can expect from sport coilovers and suspension.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can see on KW - site, factory pre-configured damping setup for KW V1 ( The dampers always work with a sporty characteristic ) so when we changed from stock to KW the ride was stiffer but this you can expect from sport coilovers and suspension.
Ah okay. Well thank you for taking the time to help me out on what to get. Ill keep an eye out for the suspension parts and will collect them until i get everything i need.

Thanks again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts