MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Back on the Road
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was out in my cooper the other day and the ground was a little wet, well i had been out on the road for a while, and when i was setting off @ a junction i felt the front wheels spin and completly loose traction, it felt like i was aquaplaining, but their wasn't enough surface water for that! The tread on the tires is still fine, the car isnt even 12months old yet, so I was wondering if anybody else has found this, Its not the first time its happend, I just think that in the wet Runflats find it hard to perform and grip the road!

Anybody else had problems with the wet & runflats?

Bit worried with Winter on the way!!

Dave, ;)

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
What tyres have you got????
This is the all important factor.

If it's the Goodyears I found this happend, not a problem at all with Dunlops

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
That'll be it then.
The tyres are fine in the dry, fine when it's raining. I found only in "damp" conditions were they a real let down.

You just need to change your driving style accordingly.

·
Back on the Road
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Martin L said:
You just need to change your driving style accordingly.
Gutted!

Very strange how they perform in the Rain but not the damp!

Might be getting myself some 18" Kahn's so we will have 2 c!

Thanks for the Advice Martin,

Dave, ;)

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
No problem Dave :)

It kind of really stumped me too why their damp performance is rather poor. I guess it's similar to the F1 tyre situation where the Michelins just don't perform in intermediate conditions where as the Bridgestones are fantastic.

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
I have the Dunlop runflats on my Cooper. They have done about 9000 miles, plenty of tread left on them but I am slithering all over the place in the wet. Last night I pulled out on to the main road as I left work and got terminal wheelspin and then traction control....really annoying.

·
Back on the Road
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Martin L said:
No problem Dave :)

It kind of really stumped me too why their damp performance is rather poor. I guess it's similar to the F1 tyre situation where the Michelins just don't perform in intermediate conditions where as the Bridgestones are fantastic.
I think your right! It also crossed my mind! Need to get myself some Bridgestones! lol

Thanks again,

Dave, ;)

·
Back on the Road
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
washy said:
I have the Dunlop runflats on my Cooper. They have done about 9000 miles, plenty of tread left on them but I am slithering all over the place in the wet. Last night I pulled out on to the main road as I left work and got terminal wheelspin and then traction control....really annoying.
Hmm Interesting, So you find its the Dunlops aswell, I'm gradually going off Runflats! Don't get me wrong I think they are excellent for safety but having said that if they can't grip, could b dangerous!

Dave, ;)

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Bridgestone Potenza RE-4s on my RX8 work very well. Just have to remember to be careful when they'll cold though :rolleyes:
Fun neverless though :D :D :D

Will have a problem if it snows though. They're summer tyres and been so wide I'll got no tracton :(
MINIs have the same problem too :rolleyes:
Thankfully snow rarely settles here :)

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
J0nesy said:
Hmm Interesting, So you find its the Dunlops aswell, I'm gradually going off Runflats! Don't get me wrong I think they are excellent for safety but having said that if they can't grip, could b dangerous!

Dave, ;)
TBH i think it is the runflats. I think they 'go off' after 7-8000 miles. Fine in the dry but not so good in damp conditions.

·
Back on the Road
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Martin L said:
Bridgestone Potenza RE-4s on my RX8 work very well. Just have to remember to be careful when they'll cold though :rolleyes:

Will have a problem if it snows though. They're summer tyres and been so wide I'll got no tracton :(
Bet we get about 10ft of snow now this year!

They say that winters are supposed to be getting colder!

I don't want the stuff either, but u never know!

Dave, ;)

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
Martin L said:

You will be stuffed in the snow anyway with RWD.... :D I was so glad I was in the MINI not the BMW earlier this year when we had those heavy snowfalls.

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
When it snowed heavily last time my MINI went nowhere. Fecking 17s :mad: :mad:
Not sure 16s would fare any better :confused:

If it snows this year I'll be working from home ;)

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
Martin L said:
When it snowed heavily last time my MINI went nowhere. Fecking 17s :mad: :mad:
Not sure 16s would fare any better :confused:

If it snows this year I'll be working from home ;)
I got home...took 6 hours, but I got home.....was interesting in places though... :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
JOnesy - ref your post #1

In aircraft circles the rule of thumb formula for calculating aquaplane speed (hydroplane in USA?) is 9 x sqr root of tyre pressure in psi (eg for 30 psi = 50mph approx - UK speeds).

This does need qualification - depends on tread depth, water depth etc etc but is a reasonable estimate of when you might expect to lose control.

Full discussion at http://www.geocities.com/profemery/aviation.html (follow link to aquaplaning)

Do remember that once you start aquaplaning, traction control etc won't help until you decelerate to control speed which is lower than 9rootP.

Cheers guys - Jan 14th my MCS arrives!

·
Back on the Road
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
0007 said:
JOnesy - ref your post #1

In aircraft circles the rule of thumb formula for calculating aquaplane speed (hydroplane in USA?) is 9 x sqr root of tyre pressure in psi (eg for 30 psi = 50mph approx - UK speeds).

This does need qualification - depends on tread depth, water depth etc etc but is a reasonable estimate of when you might expect to lose control.

Full discussion at http://www.geocities.com/profemery/aviation.html (follow link to aquaplaning)

Do remember that once you start aquaplaning, traction control etc won't help until you decelerate to control speed which is lower than 9rootP.

Cheers guys - Jan 14th my MCS arrives!
WOW Very Deep 007!

Dave, ;)

·
Thi Rascule
181 Posts
I drove in the snow last year, set of for my usual trip home, 8 miles on dry roads. By time i'd done 1 mile a little blizard had started. within minutes the snow was a couple of inches deep and very slippy.
I was amazed at how well the Goodyear runflats did. Mind you I only has about 3000 miles on em then.
Took me 2 hours for the last 6 miles or so, mind you that was due to a downed tree and a lengthy detour.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.