MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since buying the car in July 2004, I have noticed that our Mini Cooper S has a distinct lack of off-idle power, almost to the point of stumbling or stalling. The car is a 2004 Mini Cooper S that had the John Cooper Works package installed before delivery. Build date for the car is May 2004. I recently had the John Cooper Works upgrade (intake, new injectors, etc. 207 hp) done to the car but there is still a fair amount of hestiation off idle. I read in the November 2004 Roundel magazine that version 36 of the ECU software addresses this problem. Question: given my build date, is it fairly certain that I have v 36. If not a certainty, then is there a way I can check without going to the dealership? Finally, do other owners with the JCW or JCW "plus" upgrade still notice this lack of off-idle torque? Thanks very much for any input you can provide.

/Rich

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Mine is also a May 2004 and JCWed upon delivery. The stumble is a common problem, and altho many of the software revisions were said to address it, it has always come back. I see it once every few days. It is of course nothing to worry about, it just isn't idling smoothly. Search around for stumble threads and you'll find plenty of others.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
rcl4668 said:
I recently had the John Cooper Works upgrade (intake, new injectors, etc. 207 hp) done to the car but there is still a fair amount of hestiation off idle. I read in the November 2004 Roundel magazine that version 36 of the ECU software addresses this problem. Question: given my build date, is it fairly certain that I have v 36.
I believe the JCW upgrade requires V39.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My car has V36, 200hp JCW kit, and the JCW upgrade (airbox, injectors). The local dealer last week would not upgrade the software to V39 because they feel it could turn positives into negatives. The only real issue I have is the yo-yo sometimes but not all the time. After my tech (MINI guru and very accomplished autocrosser) called MINIUSA, they said they are working on a new version for older MCS with the 210hp upgrade like I have but it's not yet been released...

·
Registered
82 Posts
S2000&CooperS said:
My car has V36, 200hp JCW kit, and the JCW upgrade (airbox, injectors). The local dealer last week would not upgrade the software to V39 because they feel it could turn positives into negatives. The only real issue I have is the yo-yo sometimes but not all the time. After my tech (MINI guru and very accomplished autocrosser) called MINIUSA, they said they are working on a new version for older MCS with the 210hp upgrade like I have but it's not yet been released...
I got the recall letter for V39 had it installed along with the JCW 210 upgrade to my 2003 JCW . car runs just great. Never had any stumble or yo yo with my car and this is the first software upgrade since it was delivered 01/31/03 car now has 67K miles

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. One thing that was muddied by the recent posts is what version of the ECU software do I have? Again, the car is a 5/04 build date MCS that had the JCW package installed at the time of delivery (July 2004). I had the JCW upgrade kit installed in mid-November 04. So does the install of the upgrade guarantee that I have v39? Thanks for all of the great feedback.

/Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.