MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the issue of runflats vs. non-runflat has been widely discussed. However, I can't find any opinions on wether latest generations of runflats are any better than the older ones.

On my 04' Cooper, I have Dunlop Sport 9000, which I am not very happy with. As the front tyres are going bald, I want to buy a new set of tyres.

I found a test of runflats on Auto Express (Tyre Test (run-flat) | Products | Auto Express and the winner is Bridgestone.

So what I wonder is - will a new set of runflat tyres today, be a big improvement on my relatively old Dunlops? I would have thought that with such a relatively new technology, the improvements are quite good from generation to generation?

Or am I stupid not to go for non-runflats?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
yes they are much better - softer ride etc etc. MINI use them as standard on the R56's

will definitely be using them next time I replace my tyres :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Am no expert but i read somewhere that mk 1 mini's suspension wasnt configured for run flats...bit of a last minute option bmw decided on. So dont think the upgraded run flat models will make too much difference.

I have just ordered Falken 452 size: 215/35/18 so i'll be able to join in the pros and cons debate properly from next week.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Am no expert but i read somewhere that mk 1 mini's suspension wasnt configured for run flats...bit of a last minute option bmw decided on. So dont think the upgraded run flat models will make too much difference.

I have just ordered Falken 452 size: 215/35/18 so i'll be able to join in the pros and cons debate properly from next week.
partly right, when the MINI was launched it wasn't set up for runflats, the suspension was softened out on the R53 model in March 2003. There was an option of either dunlops or pirellis for these cars.

The new R56 has different runflats, softer more flexible side walls, which are an improvement on ride comfort, and the car is totally designed for runflats.

But you still can't beat non-runflats for ride comfort and grip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 2004 cooper I have 17" S spokes. Just to be 100% sure... they will work with non-runflats, yeah?

Ahh...and one more question: Here in Switzerland, there is an online shop which sells I Continental contisportcontact 2 (non-runflat), which seems much cheaper than the contisportcontact 3. But when I check on the official Continental site, it seems the contisportcontact 2 is no longer available...? Does anyone know the difference between the nr. 2 and nr. 3, and would either of them be a good buy?

Thanks so much for a great forum with friendly replies.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
On my 2004 cooper I have 17" S spokes. Just to be 100% sure... they will work with non-runflats, yeah?
I'm on my second set of Goodyear Eagle F1 (non runflat) on the fronts and have had no issues whatsoever, they did wear really quick though but thats probably my fault. This has been covered oh too many times, there are plenty of threads that give you a definitive answer to all of your questions.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Ahh...and one more question: Here in Switzerland, there is an online shop which sells I Continental contisportcontact 2 (non-runflat), which seems much cheaper than the contisportcontact 3. But when I check on the official Continental site, it seems the contisportcontact 2 is no longer available...? Does anyone know the difference between the nr. 2 and nr. 3, and would either of them be a good buy?

Thanks so much for a great forum with friendly replies.
If your a German speaker, try 'test.de' or try to find the ADAC reviews. I'll probably be putting Continental Premium Contact2 on my 16" wheels. I seem to remember that the sport contact weren't rated as well as the premium contact (very vague recollection) but chech the summer tyre reviews of the last few years to be sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts