MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Last week I bought a 2001 MINI Cooper for a trip to Italy. A friend of mine wants to go to places in 'The Italian Job' in modern versions of vehicles that were in the original film. I didn't fancy buying a coach or car transporter (well, I did but decided to be sensible anyway). So, I've had my eye out for a few weeks (no rush, it's not until next Summer) and bought this last weekend for £350.

The maximum we're allowed to spend was £1k so I'm expecting to win the cheapest car challenge (there will apparently be a series of Top Gear-esque challenges on the way).

Obviously for this price the car has a few faults. This was the MOT failure list:-

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Front Inner Suspension arm ball joint likely to become detached One bolt loose (5.3.4 (a) (ii))
Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))

Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a))
Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a))
Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of a single lamp or all lamps (4.7.1 (b) (ii))
Anti-lock braking system warning lamp does not illuminate (1.6 (a))
Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Brake fluid close to minimum mark (1.1.10 (d) (ii))
Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Rear Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (0.1 (b))

On top of that there were a good few other faults including:-

Cracked windscreen
Passenger window catching
Door speaker crappy
Rear wiper arm broken
Badges peeling
Radiator fan not working on low speed

Wheel centre badges missing
Speedometer failing to read (needle pointing straight down)
Air con doesn't appear to work (light on button flashes)
Probably some other stuff I've forgotten about or not found yet :LOL:

Most of the above has now been fixed. I had last week off work so spent a day or so sat in the sun fiddling. I really like the way this car is built. There's no rust on the unibody and only surface stuff on the suspension parts etc. Everything seems to come apart nicely.

Anyway, slightly long post but car is just about ready to MOT now. It'd pass as it is but I'd rather make it so there were no niggles at all as I like my local garage and I'd rather keep my reputation for bringing in well prepared cars.

Looking forward to driving it now, seems a good little car.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Hello all,

Last week I bought a 2001 MINI Cooper for a trip to Italy. A friend of mine wants to go to places in 'The Italian Job' in modern versions of vehicles that were in the original film. I didn't fancy buying a coach or car transporter (well, I did but decided to be sensible anyway). So, I've had my eye out for a few weeks (no rush, it's not until next Summer) and bought this last weekend for £350.

View attachment 275403

The maximum we're allowed to spend was £1k so I'm expecting to win the cheapest car challenge (there will apparently be a series of Top Gear-esque challenges on the way).

Obviously for this price the car has a few faults. This was the MOT failure list:-

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
Nearside Front Inner Suspension arm ball joint likely to become detached One bolt loose (5.3.4 (a) (ii))
Nearside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (5.2.3 (e))

Repair immediately (major defects):
Nearside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a))
Offside Front Position lamp not working (4.2.1 (a))
Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of a single lamp or all lamps (4.7.1 (b) (ii))
Anti-lock braking system warning lamp does not illuminate (1.6 (a))
Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Brake fluid close to minimum mark (1.1.10 (d) (ii))
Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Rear Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (0.1 (b))

On top of that there were a good few other faults including:-

Cracked windscreen
Passenger window catching
Door speaker crappy
Rear wiper arm broken
Badges peeling
Radiator fan not working on low speed

Wheel centre badges missing
Speedometer failing to read (needle pointing straight down)
Air con doesn't appear to work (light on button flashes)
Probably some other stuff I've forgotten about or not found yet :LOL:

Most of the above has now been fixed. I had last week off work so spent a day or so sat in the sun fiddling. I really like the way this car is built. There's no rust on the unibody and only surface stuff on the suspension parts etc. Everything seems to come apart nicely.

Anyway, slightly long post but car is just about ready to MOT now. It'd pass as it is but I'd rather make it so there were no niggles at all as I like my local garage and I'd rather keep my reputation for bringing in well prepared cars.

Looking forward to driving it now, seems a good little car.
Buying the car looks cheap, but how much did you spend putting it right even if you did all the work yourself.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a result of improvements in production efficiency over the years, we have now reached a point where parts cost very little. The expensive thing is people's time. If we were having this discussion 60 or 70 years ago the reverse was true. People's time was cheap, parts were expensive. The result of this is if you have the ability to repair things yourself it can be done very cheaply.

If you have a good local garage that you trust and has the ability to diagnose properly (ie. doesn't just plug in a diagnostic tool and change the part in the fault code) then I would suggest you either stick with them or learn how to do it yourself.

I'd fix it for you but I would be far more expensive than your local garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.