MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I seem to have a collection of water under the carpet of my boot. The water collects in the mini mobiltiy system trough. I have had to take the pump out so that it does not get rusty. The tools have become rusty.The carpet doesnt feel wet but underneath at the back seats is particulary wet and dryer near the window.

I had a look under the car and the large plastic box(under the boot) has a screw missing from the middle also there are large holes...not sure if there should be gromits there or not?

hopefully selling soon for a Dooper :).

Oh and its a 02 plate Cooper:mad:.

thanks

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
The large black plastic box underneath is fitted when their is no spacesaver spare wheel carrier, it is held by 4 screws/nuts but there is not normally one in the middle? This plastic box / cover is not designed to be waterproof, its just a plastic shield and is unlikely to be your water leak problem.
Is the large rubber grommet inside the boot fitted in the metal floor / tool compartment trough still in place?
The most common cause of rear leaks is the seal around the high level centre rear brake light, check also the rear tailgate seals and rear light apertures from inside (fold down rear seats and watch while someone directs a hose outside at the rear bodywork !

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yer this is a really common problem on all minis built 51/02/52... I found that the water was comming in from a number of places on mine but were all easily fixed...

1) the 3rd brake light, get this replaced with a new unit as the seals go really easy on the old ones
2) one of the next most common places is the boot handle fixing bolts and the rear wiper spindle, to confirm both of these you will need to remove the inner black plastic trim from the boot lid and get someone to spray the rear of your car with water and you can then watch the places where it is leaking from and then fix accordingly with some silicone sealant...

You will find also that the water tends to wet the boot carpet on the left hand side but i rekon this is just because the exhaust heats up the right hand side and hence it dries the right side off

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
3rd brake light seal, happened on 2 of my MINIs under warrantee.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where to buy a 3rd brake light

Thanks for the reply. Where can i buy a new brake light? I have searched google and ebay and can only find led cooper ones?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts