MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
My wife have a Cooper S Countryman, year 2013. 22000 km on the clock.
She has had it for 9 month, bought from BMW in Germany.

Last week end we were passing some mountains in snow, wet snow ,wind and the front got some covered by ice/snow. While stopping in a queue I noticed light steam ( clouds) front side, left. I thought it was ice /snow hitting heated surface and meltding. Soon after the heating compartment stopped heating,,,only rather cold air came out. We stoppded, checked the coolant and found it missing some + air bobles in the system.
I also smelled coolant/ antifreeze,, so obviously there was some steaming out!
Until then we had between 0 to minus 10 C on the trip,,,and only minus 2-3 C when it happen..

Filled it up, started up, filled it up agian,,,and after a while the heating came back. I stopped every now and then to control the level, but things were all right,,just some air bobles in the begining , but soon everything got stabile.
Now, 600 km and 3 days later, everything is still fine and I never had to top the coolant. We have also during those 600 km been trough everything from + 5 C to -30 C !
There is no temperature gauge here, but a warning sign only when temperature is too high. That never came on!

So, what happen?
I expected it to be a leak, but obviously it was not!
Is there an air outlet on the expanding tank that might have been blocket by ice?
Was it too little coolant in the first place? ( I haven't checked for a while before this)
Is it any valve or thermostate that played us a trick?

( we'll have it to service soon anyway, but I am just curious, It's still warranty on the car;) )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
Convincor
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing