MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Leaking windscreen

Got into my car this morning and noticed a nice little puddle on the dash, right on top of the hump above the speedo. Cleaned it up, but then as I was braking at the bottom of a hill I had a rather nice stream of water pour from just behind the rear view mirror and disappear straight into the air vent in the middle of the dash.

Thats the 3rd time I've noticed this, and although on all 3 occasions its been after a night of heavy rain, it doesn't appear every time it rains heavily or after I've washed the car. I'm beginning to think that the windshield isn't bonded in place properly.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Post edit : Sorry folks. Just realised I'm not American (title should have been WINDSCREEN, not windshield :eek: )

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Could it possibly be from the sunroof? - (if you have one)

·
Registered
350 Posts
There were a lot of reports of windshields cracking spontaneously, and other reports of the trim around the windshield coming loose. I don't know how to include a link to another thread, but you can find one easily, just do a search on "breaking glass".

I'm going to guess that the windshield glass does not fit its frame properly. (Is this is an engineering fault or a manufacturing fault?) If the factory shoves the windshield in tight, it will crack; if not so tight, it will leak.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Crashandburn said:
I'm beginning to think that the windshield isn't bonded in place properly.
I remember visiting a Mini dealership a while back only to see a Mini Cooper sitting outside with the rubber sealing around the Windshield hanging off :eek:

LMB:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I remember seeing the reports of cracked windscreens myself, but none of them mentioned any leaks prior to it cracking. Could well be worth revisiting, as I have also heard the occasional 'gunshot' from the windscreen, even though its not actually cracked.

I think its probably a manufacturing fault, simply shoddy workmanship on my particular car. It does not appear to be a widespread problem, but it's definitely affecting mine. I had to mop up more of the dash this morning.

I'll give my dealership a call and see what happens.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Leaking windscreen

On the third day I had my car, I got into it to find a puddle of water on the dash, and I had water flooding out of the rear view mirror.

It was a you suspect the bonding on the screen that was at fault. I ended up with a new screen being fitted.

Get it back to the dealer, I'm sure it'll be the same as mine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I also had this problem with my car, does your car happen to be parked facing down hill if so it is the arial that is leaking as the water runs in the drain hole of the rubber boot. I checked with MINI HQ and they told me that it wouldn't affect the warenty if I removed the rubber boot and sealed it with silicon and replaced the rubber boot and hay presto no more leaks

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats interesting. Yes, it is parked on a slight incline, pointing downhill. Dealers seem to think its the windscreen needing rebonding, and have booked it into a body shop next Monday for the work.

I'll see what happens after they've done that. For some strange reason I reckon I'll get plenty of opportunity to check for leaks, up here. ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well rebonding the windscreen hasn't worked so the dealer wants it back for a couple of days to go over all the seals. I've told them that its probably getting in via the notch in the base of the aerial, but I can't complain about them wanting to do a thorough job.

BTW Fontal, sorry, didn't realise you lived in Viking land ;). No wonder you sorted it yourself - where's your nearest dealer? Inverness or Norway?

:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aerial Automatic

Just a thought - went to a carwash and took off my bee sting and the base became all loose.

Paranoid I tried to check the fixing.

When I put the aerial back on it all tightened up.

Have you tried tightening?

Hope you get it fixed, water and car insides don't mix.:(

·
Registered
486 Posts
Crashandburn

My nearest dealer is probobly in bergen but there isn't a ferry that goes there regulary so for ease of servicing I go to Inverness.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Coop just popped a bizzare crack on the drivers side windscreen for no apparent reason, no sign of any leak through it though so I'd suspect bonding/seals to be the problem with the leaky one. Our one is booked in for a warranty replacement window on Monday, dealer said ours was the 3rd one back with this problem out of 120 odd cars sold, hardly an epidemic !

·
Registered
577 Posts
Cracked windshields were popping up on some of the early builds but should have been corrected by now. Either the windshield was not made to fit the car properly, or was installed incorrectly. Be sure they bond the rubber properly when they replace it or it may leak. You can use the search function in Faults and Fixes to look for windshield cracks, leaks, and loose rubber moulding.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't f*****g believe it!

Well, picked my car up last night after 3 days in the dealers to try and identify the source of the leak. No joy. They couldn't find any water ingress (at least they tried, and were honest enough to admit no joy rather than try to fob me off). I guess I'll be trying Fontals trick with silicon around the base of the aerial.

But what I don't f*****g believe is the fact that it went 'Christine' on me again this morning, whilst driving to work. Lights came on (without illuminating the dash or being switched on), wipers stopped working, indicators stopped working, windows won't open (hopefully :(), c-locking doesn't work etc.. At least the alarm hasn't armed itself and gone off yet, but I'm just waiting for security to give me a ring... I didn't really think the ECU they replaced last time would do the job. Guess that was right. Sh*t.

:(

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'll bet when the car dries out, everything will return to normal. With modern electronics, it only takes a drop of water in the wrong place to make it go bonkers. The electrical system on the MINI is digital and moisture in a sensor can cause it to malfunction. Even a change in temperature or humidity can result in condensation, so it doesn't necessarily have to be raining outside. I read that BMW has made some changes in the design of the locks so they are more waterproof, but there may be other sensors that are also vulnerable.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could do, but I doubt it. The earlier fix of replacing the ECU doesn't really seem to be the right fix, and its kind of curious that it was working last night when I picked it up (and the dealership must have liberally soaked the car looking for a water ingress), and this morning (light covering of snow), but the electrics packed up a few miles down the road.

It hadn't returned to normal by the time I took it back to the dealership, and frankly, as the car lives outside I can't see it 'drying out' before summer. Maybe not even then. This time I gave them a long list of other niggling faults - one of which was spotted by the BMW engineer that Mini Emergency sent out. Dented chrome trim around the windscreen, presumably from rebonding the screen.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Moisture in a sensor is the likely culprit. Ice doesn't conduct electricity, but when it melts, it does. All it takes on one drop in the wrong place. I'm glad my job isn't finding the problem! Hopefully the ECU diagnostic port can give them a clue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts