MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to find a leak in my boot,.

When its raining (and its often in scotland) I have a large puddle at the rear passengers side in the boot.
Cars a 2002 mini one.
I cannot see any break etc in the seal , can anyone advise me please..:frown:
Thanks

·
it's not easy bein' green
126 Posts
I've just changed the high level brake light on my R50 ;) to a clear one and I noticed the old was badly pitted inside and full of water. Having said that the light on my car will have been off as it originally had a full-roof graphic on it.

To test if the light is at fault dry out the boot and then play a hose over the high level light - if you end up will a boot full of water then you have your answer ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
3rd brake light leakage is almost guarenteed on all pre facelift mini's, as was the case with mine so i bought a new one and it has made the problem of the water in the boot better but didn't cure it.....

the boot handle, number plate lights and rear wiper spindle hole were also leaking to my boot which collects in the boot lid itself before overflowing into the boot or spilling out when the boot is open, make sure the little drain hole in the middle of the boot lid is cleaned out

phase 1 minis love to leak!!! but mine doesnt anymore as ive siliconed all the leaks up that i mentioned above

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
The most common reason for boot leaks is the rubber/foam seal around the high level 3rd brake light mounted in the top of the toail gate. It can be especially pronounced on non spoilered cars (the spoiler often helps deflect some water away, but if there is not one it tends to let more water hit the light) and on the S (water collects in the nice and convenient dip in the boot where the Cooper S battery sits)

Changing the light is something I have had done once under warrantee on both of my MINIs (cooper and an S)

·
Registered
298 Posts
ah mine is also a 2002 mini one with a wet boot, so i will check all these tomoro!! thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
The high brake light foam seal on my 2003 had displaced slightly, allowing water in around it. I tacked the seal back in place to the light body with dots of super glue and reinstalled it. It has been dry for a couple years now. This process will be at the cost of a few dots of super glue, not the whole light unit.

·
Butacupminicooper
17 Posts
Me Too!!

Butacup is prone to soggy boot carpet, i sealed the light, but it is still playing up. Great with the weather we have had! NOT! Will try the hints you guys have given, thanku!!:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Noticed on an odd occassion that my boot is slightly damp again, mind you here in sunny scotland we do have a lot of rain..:p
Is there a how to do it guide on removing the rear light for beginners like me :D

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Noticed on an odd occassion that my boot is slightly damp again, mind you here in sunny scotland we do have a lot of rain..:p
Is there a how to do it guide on removing the rear light for beginners like me :D
Secure light with some tape so it won't fall out, open rear hatch, you will see 3 screws behind the light, remove these, close hatch and remove light after unclipping / unplugging the wiring connector.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Secure light with some tape so it won't fall out, open rear hatch, you will see 3 screws behind the light, remove these, close hatch and remove light after unclipping / unplugging the wiring connector.
Hi guys,

I have just bought an 04 cooper and too have this problem, i have a replacement light, but how on earth does the high level brake light come out. I've removed the 3 screws but the boot spoiled stops the actual light from being removed. Im hoping the spoiler doesnt need to come off, any tips or advice would be greatly appreachiated

Paul

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just a note, the reason the water usually appears on the passenger side of the boot is because the exhaust back box warms up the drivers side and hence dries out that side. this can be missleading as to the cause of the problem... if you want to solve this problem you have to take the plastic trim off the boot lid and then get a mate to use a hosepipe on the rear of the car with you inside to check where the water is entering in from... common places include the 3rd brake light, boot handle screws and rear wiper spindle... use bathroom sealant to seal the leaks from the inside

I went to the extreme of taking the boot handle off and sealing it on for its full length with black silicone sealant and then siliconing its fixing screws to ensure no water gets in!

Boots dry as a bone now, but in a very heavy downlour it still gets wet, my suspision is that its the boot seal itself

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I have a mini convertible with the issue of water appearing in the boot. Having read the above posting it suggests replacing the high level brake light (which I don't have), or there being leaks at the boot handle or number plate, or the boot seal being knackered. Before I go down the route of replacing the boot seal are there any other common places to check on the convertible for where you can have leaks in the boot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all leaky boot lovers try this: Remove the bootlid trim 6 screws and pop it off take out the parcel shelf ,the boot carpet and tooltray and both rear light access plates. Dry everything in sight, Drop the rear seats and with the help of a glamourous assistant with a hosepipe climb into the backseat area. The glamourous assistant now starting at one side near the lights gently runs water over the area working slowly up the car. Repeat for the other side.Then over the top seams and rear window. Using a torch the point of entry should now be clear. In my case water was penatrating from the black trim seal at the top of the boot window . Good luck.:smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts