MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mini (2012 Base Model) is only running rich/lean when I start it, but when I step on the gas it runs just fine. I looked around the car and everything seems fine except the ambient air sensor on the front bumper. Will that affect the engine at all? I can drive it all day just fine, it just won’t start. I’ve always checked codes and it’s just the ambient sensor.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
My Mini (2012 Base Model) is only running rich/lean when I start it, but when I step on the gas it runs just fine. I looked around the car and everything seems fine except the ambient air sensor on the front bumper. Will that affect the engine at all? I can drive it all day just fine, it just won’t start. I’ve always checked codes and it’s just the ambient sensor.
ambient air sensor on the front bumper, yes its has some bearing as a ecu reference point, you need to do a live data run on the coolant sensor from when car is cold,, the temp before start up should relate to outside temps and when start car leave on idle and watch the coolant temps sensor and how it increases,,, ie say before start up have 20c start car within 5 minutes it should be moving upwards at same pace untill around 45 minutes later the fan should cut in and be showing around 106c-112c depending on if have latest version thermo housing fitted,
if you see when start up the temps flicker hot cold to hot then that will be the issue intermittent sensor ,, best fix is complete new housing with latest spec sensor ie 105c,
this all said the if have a issue with the other outdoors sensor that needs fixing first,
if all the above checks out then common for these engines around this age and around 100k to have valve stem seal issues and exhaust valves not seating correct because of it this will also throw rich to lean faults,, as will any issues with the vvt on the inlet vaves or the steppa motor sometimes the gear wheel gets worn and causes this as well so much effects fueling on these engines and becomes a mission of ruling thing in and out if that makes sense,, good diagnostics tool is a must have, best for live data and money is in link below autocom cdp plus. best money you will ever spend

·
Registered
164 Posts
ambient air sensor on the front bumper, yes its has some bearing as a ecu reference point, you need to do a live data run on the coolant sensor from when car is cold,, the temp before start up should relate to outside temps and when start car leave on idle and watch the coolant temps sensor and how it increases,,, ie say before start up have 20c start car within 5 minutes it should be moving upwards at same pace untill around 45 minutes later the fan should cut in and be showing around 106c-112c depending on if have latest version thermo housing fitted,
if you see when start up the temps flicker hot cold to hot then that will be the issue intermittent sensor ,, best fix is complete new housing with latest spec sensor ie 105c,
this all said the if have a issue with the other outdoors sensor that needs fixing first,
if all the above checks out then common for these engines around this age and around 100k to have valve stem seal issues and exhaust valves not seating correct because of it this will also throw rich to lean faults,, as will any issues with the vvt on the inlet vaves or the steppa motor sometimes the gear wheel gets worn and causes this as well so much effects fueling on these engines and becomes a mission of ruling thing in and out if that makes sense,, good diagnostics tool is a must have, best for live data and money is in link below autocom cdp plus. best money you will ever spend
Hi Mike, it says language on the link with either 2015, 2016 or no cd? Which one do you select?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Latest updated modified software can be purchased from AliExpress for a few pounds or you could search and download the latest for nothing and request the activation for FREE.

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
I don't have very much information from what your explaining. but if it is a question of a ambient temperature sensor having to be relocated due to aftermarket inter cooler installation; and having a spot to mount the ambient temperature sensor You can find a spot on the inside of the bumper and use these:

To relocate the sensor to where it still maintains direct air from the grill.

The other symptoms seem to be 6 of one half dozen of the other. The thermostat is computer controlled in the end.
It's not a throw in a pot of boiling water to watch it open at a certain temperature issue!
That is why it is highly advised to buy a mini cooper genuine thermostat housing.
But not to discount the idea you can use another brand. As long as you maintain the fact that the coolant needs to be filled accurate.
and should be filled with 2.17 gallons of coolant. Preferably measured out(so that you know it has accepted capacity). but not to exclude the extra fluid that would be needed during the filling process. I.E. If you are powerfilling the coolant system pour 3 gallons into the filling container. So that the power filling sump does not pull air through it in the process. Fill until the pressure gauge reads Zero or you have reached max level on the overfill container. At that point put the cap back on the overfill container; and then run the car for five minutes and check the level of the overfill again. Top off if the coolant level has gone down.
The ambient temperature sensor can affect the engine. If the there is a problem in the cooling system. And also effects the heater ac system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.