MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mini2Mini
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while now, I'd like to thank everyone for the great information and fun reads.

I learned to drive a stick shift on my 04 Cooper S. After a few months I have the hang of normal shifting but I feel like I don't know how to accelerate fast, to blow people away at lights and such. Is there a simple technique to practice or things I should know about to achieve my goal?

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
go on the MINIUSA site and download their rally instructions for heal-toe. fastest off the line you will ever get when you figure that out. Also, in the MCS, shift at high RPMs - just below the redline if you want top acceleration.

Now, for my eneryday driving I never do any of this. Shift by 4,000 RPM most of the time, and I find I can take most every SUV and MINI Van that is trying to cut me off.

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
First of all, welcome to MINI2 :)
The heel to toe on MINIusa is not what is recommeded by a majority of people. In that one, they want you to pivot your heel over. This usually causes a fluctuation in the brake pedal pressure, which is a very bad thing. Instead, you can try braking with the left edge of your foot on the brake, and using the right part of your foot to blip the gas. Of course, if you want the best times, turn off DSC, dump the clutch at 3000 and rev to redline. Not great for the car, but as you want speed... ;)

·
Mentalist
83 Posts
Yeah, if you are talking about accelerating as fast as possible from a red light, you have to rev it high, maybe 3000 or more, and then just pop the clutch out as you stomp on the throttle. You may need to adjust your throttle input to avoid too much wheel spin. As noted, this is not great for your clutch but I hear it's worth it for the fun every once in a while. Then rev all the way to the redline. Then you can do the same thing when shifting into second gear and even get the tires to chirp in second by timing the way you let the clutch back up and stomp back down on the throttle. Again, this is sort of slipping the clutch I think; not great for your clutch but hey it has to be done sometimes right.... I don't know if this is what people mean by "power shifting"...is it?

You should try this technique if you want to properly embarrass a Civic Si from a red light. He might jump ahead at the very start because of his shorter gear ratios, but by the time you are nearing the top of the revs in 1st you'll be pulling ahead, and then when you stomp on it in 2nd he will be in your mirrors. That's what I've heard anyway. I never engage in such juvenile behaviour myself. :rolleyes: :D

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
Revolver said:
I don't know if this is what people mean by "power shifting"...is it?
if i remember correctly power shifting means just using force to push the shifter into gear... usually reserved for drag racers as they take their tranny apart after every event
drop clutch at 3k is the best... typically unless you are fighting bad traction, which can happen especially with a pullied car... ;)

·
Mr Buttons!
837 Posts
I don't know about "power shifting", but speed shifting is a way to achieve shifts under .2 seconds. It involves backhanding the knob in certain gear changes, and perfect coordination. Do a search on google for it, you should find something. ;)

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
From what I've just read on google, power shifting invloves changing gear without taking your foot off the accelerator at all.

·
Em - mental
1,634 Posts
RedUn said:
just cane it:D

No...

ASC/DSC off at the red light

look to the driver.....

smile.....

rev to 3000

dump it when the traffic on the other carriageway stops....

THEN CANE IT !!!!!

:p

mintttttttttttttttt

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dump the clutch off the line, shift at red line, check mirrors as objects are smaller than they appear. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the guys asking how to shift fast, not so much how to accelerate. What I do for having fun is I just start to pull on the shifter slightly(don't yank on the thing), and when you kick the clutch in to shift, the shifter should just slide back into the next gear. With a little coordination you should be able to feel how far to kick the clutch in and how fast to let it out. Usually one can chirp the tires in up to 3rd gear this way without actually power shifting because of the quick shifts.(That was in my Z3 2.8, Havent got my 2005 MCS yet). Good Luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
MCS is not really optimized for quick launch from rest, though with a manual gearbox it certainly can be done with some abuse to the car as others have described above. I would suggest you wait until you get 'em on a twisty road or exit/entrance ramp and then just completely blow them away with the handling. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd like to hear a few opinions of my method, basically it started because I was on a slight downslope!, anyway I use the handbrake!, what you do hold the the handbrake up to stop you rolling and raise the revs to around 3k and bring the clutch up just on the biting point, lights change release the handbrake and away you go! it gives consistant starts and a perfect launch, its pretty much the same as they do on auto's I think its called power braking? go try it!

Tom.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Launching?

:eek: I am not sure what's up, but the other day I tried to impress a local Honda driver and got wasted! I did the 3K launch, did fine, but when I hit 2nd my MCS damn near shut down. after a few seconds it came on strong, but I thought I had broke it. Any input :confused:

·
MINI Geek
515 Posts
welder said:
:eek: I am not sure what's up, but the other day I tried to impress a local Honda driver and got wasted! I did the 3K launch, did fine, but when I hit 2nd my MCS damn near shut down. after a few seconds it came on strong, but I thought I had broke it. Any input :confused:
Yes. Your DSC or ASC kicked in probably right when you slammed it into second. When the traction control kicks in, the car just stumbles.

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
steebo777 said:
Yes. Your DSC or ASC kicked in probably right when you slammed it into second. When the traction control kicks in, the car just stumbles.
either that or he was spinning the wheels in 1st and when he went into 2nd it stopped spinning an was at low revs?!?!

btw what honda was it?!?!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Arghh...still in my break-in period.

BTW - I test drove an '04 MCS, but bought an '05. The 1st gear on the '05 is more responsive...

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was a body kit, loud civic, mid 90's, with a backwards hat wearing , zitfaced kit driving. Boy was I embarassed! :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts