MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and gals... anyone else having there LMFSW peeling cause its not leather at all....

I was driving home yesterday and started feeling small chunks of fake leather peeling of in my hands from it being a little warm yesterday.

NOT HAPPY JAN!!!!

Took it to a Trimming shop and they said its not Leather at all... its just a vynal.

So Giles is on the war path back to the dealer today!!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!
PS if you ordered a LMFSW??? check it closely.. the difference betweent he leather and the leatherete is hardly noticeable till it gets older.

·
Brass Cannons
3,488 Posts
Giles I had my MFSW replaced under warranty for the same reason. But alas they replaced a fake leather one with another fake leather one. :mad: This kinda thing runs right against my principles, think of all the poor vinlys they have to kill to make these things :( .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Leather steering wheel peeling

I too have a new MFSW compliments of MINI and bubbling leather. I don't know what part of the world you are from but in Seattle at least, leather doens't bubble. How can they say it is leather when obviously, it is not.

Rob

·
Were there Oompa loompas?
4,146 Posts
Ok, stupid question, how do you tell? Are they all fake leather? I'm sure this would be a pretty simple case for the likes of the ACCC if they have sold it as leather then it should be leather. My clear recollection is that the brochures said leather.

I reckon the last thing BMW wants to hear is the word ACCC given the last run in they had with them over the non-compliant stickers on their jacks. For such a small and insignificant issue, this caused them a lot of heartache. On the other hand, is it worth the fight?

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
out of curiosity, what was the jack issue?

and on that topic, who here got a wheel brace with their car? I didn't.

·
4,146 Posts

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Alrrriiiggghhhttt :) so I am not the only one. I guess tomorrow there's a huge warranty claim with my dealer...

·
4,146 Posts
minigolf said:
I got a wheel brace ... with my jack. ;)
Did it have the right stickers on it :D :D :rolleyes:

Oh, and sorry for getting off topic - back to dodgy leather steering wheels :rolleyes:

·
4,146 Posts
minigolf said:
Dunno, when I'm checking my vinyl steering wheel I'll have a look. :D
A word of advice, if you've got the wrong sticker, don't get under your car while it is supported by a jack ;) (Apparently, that's what was lacking :rolleyes: )

Any one that gets under a Mini supported by one of those crummy looking mini jacks is asking for it in my opinion.

·
I love Lamp
339 Posts
I have also had a MFSW replaced because of bubbling 'leather'

I have always heard the dealer use the word leather, but it seems like all parties know that what they are getting is the not the real deal.
if that makes any sense

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Winner!!!!

Well i had a talk to the service department and they said they are willing to replace the wheel at no charge... with the same... So i said i will show my order form which clearly stated Leather Multi Function Steering Wheel !!!

I have the original brochure that stated it was leather as well... Im going to standfast on this one and demand the right thing... or I will talk to ACCC or Fair trading etc. If anyone else has such problems i suggest you stand your ground.. but ensure your order form stated leather mfsw

·
4,146 Posts
CanberraCooperS said:
Well i had a talk to the service department and they said they are willing to replace the wheel at no charge... with the same... So i said i will show my order form which clearly stated Leather Multi Function Steering Wheel !!!

I have the original brochure that stated it was leather as well... Im going to standfast on this one and demand the right thing... or I will talk to ACCC or Fair trading etc. If anyone else has such problems i suggest you stand your ground.. but ensure your order form stated leather mfsw
Is yours pre or post thumb grip? Am I right in thinking that the MFSW was made standard in 04 MCS's? If so, how was it advertised, ie as leather?

Talking to the ACCC might sound drastic but they might be able to give you a few pointers as to how to proceed with this one. Common sense would say that they really don't have a leg to stand on although the time period between when you purchased and when you reported it may be an issue??

Fight the good fight and good luck!

·
4,146 Posts
Got home yesterday arvo and sure enough the steering wheel is vinyl (not too bothered about it so long as it doesn't start falling apart). I had a quick look at my purchase order and it just says "multi-function steering wheel" no mention of leather. I also had a look at the Australian accessories list (most of the other brochures were UK ones I think) and it says the MCS has a standard leather wheel but does not mention leather for the optional MFSW although my assumption was that given the standard one was leather the MFSW would be too.

I guess the question is for those that did not get the MFSW in their MCS, is their steering wheel leather or vinyl.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The first steering wheel on mine (2002 build) peeled after about a year. The replacement (same type) started peeling a few months later. MINI Garage Sydney were going to replace it with the same type, again, I asked that they at least use the updated model (I think this came in in 2003), which they did. Have had no problems since........

Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts