MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have the original MINI iPod kit. I noticed when I leave the iPod plugged in and turn the car off it still shows the charge sign on the iPod. Up till now I have always disconnected the iPod as I fear it will run down the battery.

I wanted to know whether I could leave it plugged in (saves me pfaffing around with it every morning) overnight. Obviously if I'm going away or something it's not a good idea.

Does the iPod only keep charging for a few minutes/seconds after the car turns off or would it keep supplying power to the iPod for as long as it's plugged in?

Thanks in advance

·
Making it add up
847 Posts
I have an R56 MCS with the MINI iPod connector and I leave my ipod Nano connected in the glove box and almost never take it out. I have never had a problem with it affecting the car battery even when I have left it and gone on holiday.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Well it all depends on what you call original and what it is you have got, as you have first of all posted in the R50 forums, and I don't recall there being an 'official' iPod kit for the those MINI's and it was mostly Denison Ice Links being fitted:confused:

Or do you have an R56?

Things would be so much clearer if people filled in their profiles or even gave exact information when they post asking for help:rolleyes:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry Rakey, I've got a convertible (R50?) Cooper Sidewalk built in Oct '07. By original I mean it is made by BMW specifically for the MINI, has a manual exactly the same as the manuals I got with the car, it says MINI on the iPod when you plug it in etc.

·
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE
6,836 Posts
i had the mini ipod adapter fitted in my r53 , and it was no trouble being left on.
Mind you thadapter was **** and i ended up swapping it for the far better icelink - from Mikeythe mini

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Cheers for clearing it up Ben;)

I'd go with what Si said above, if its there then use it and don't worry about leaving it on, but the Icelink is the preferred method for using these in the MINI;)

·
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE
6,836 Posts
the icelink was much more user friendly with regards to navigating playlists, none of thta stupid 5 playlists rubbish. and it supports id3 tags

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I know about the icelink, but only found out AFTER I got the OEM kit installed! Doh! So it will have to do for now...

BTW Rakey, I have put all the specs on my profile, does it not show up? I just checked to make sure and it's all there

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Always leave my ipod connected up - only take it out to add more tracks.. never even thought that it would be a problem... Had mine in for about 2 years now. I take it out if its very cold overnight - the cold clears the ipod and end up having to to add the tracks back on again... Having said that I do take it out if Im not using the car very frequently or for a long time, just incase :)

·
JCW 250
1,124 Posts
Did on mine when very cold (overnight frost) - just a case of connecting to the computer and syncing the ipod again... Hasnt affected the operation of my ipod just annoying that I have to do it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts