MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently added some Xenon LED headlight bulbs to my R56 Mini Cooper D and now have error messages on my dash.

Been told I need some H4 LED load resistors to fix the issue. I've looked on Ebay/Amazon but was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent brand/site to purchase reliable load resistors please?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2015 MINI R59 Roadster Cooper S
15 Posts
+1 for the above. I put some led taillights on and had error messages. Brought an ODB2 reader and paid for the the Bimmercode app. Set everything to LED. Plenty of threads on the NAM Site

·
Registered
25 Posts
I added LED Headlights to my Mini R56 and had the same problem with the code and the headlights flashing. I read the post about the Bimmercode and used it to take care of my problems and now all is good. The code went away and the headlights no longer flash. Wish I knew this two sets of LED headlights ago.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've recently added some Xenon LED headlight bulbs to my R56 Mini Cooper D and now have error messages on my dash.

Been told I need some H4 LED load resistors to fix the issue. I've looked on Ebay/Amazon but was wondering if anyone can recommend a decent brand/site to purchase reliable load resistors please?

Thanks for reading!
bit late to the party here but not been on here for a while but its a handy warning for others who dont fancy messing with apps & such

i would advise against the generic load resisters from the likes of ebay/amazon etc - bought some for H4 & H8 for my mota when i went LED to get rid of the constant light out errors etc ( love the disco mode on starting the car though lol ) & they were on the car for all of 2 days until the day i finally used them for more than a minutes testing to see if the warnings had gone ( which they had ), i drove home from work & for the last few miles needed the dipped beams on & upon getting home i decided to just have a check on the resisters & :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: the heat they had generated in just a few minutes - i am pretty sure if i had done a full work to home commute with the lights on i would have melted something rather badly.

I let em cool down enough to be handled & removed em & chucked them in a box of spares & have just ignored the light errors since then on - before i got the LEDs i did have a Carista dongly thingy that could do programming & such but sent it back as it seemed useless for most things ( the car was already set up how i wanted it barring the Stop/Start memory function - but Carista did not have that as a coding option so back it went as it was basically a very expensive version of the Free to use boggo ebay OBD reader i had already from many years ago lol ) i did see the Cold & Warm bulb monitoring options for various lights in the coding options though but thought nothing of them until i went LED & then it dawned on me that these were the cause of the Disco mode & Error messages, i just have not been bothered by them enough to stump up £30-£40 for the App fee to fix it yet :oops:

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are having problems with your LED lights giving an error code, try Bimmercode from the play store or from the app store. You can program the car to accept the LEDs and no more codes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you are having problems with your LED lights giving an error code, try Bimmercode from the play store or from the app store. You can program the car to accept the LEDs and no more codes.
i gathered that from the posts above but im too tight to spring for the £35 fee for the app in order to do the programming ( it is more tempting as the bimmercode app says it has the ability to program the Stop/Start memory feature too as thats why the coder tool doohicky i bought when i bought the mini a about 3 years ago got returned as it was unable to program that feature & it said it could code it on the website & that is the only feature that is an annoyance to me now.

i just ignore any beeps that bring up a lightbulb on the rev counter now, all other beeps get checked out straight away lol

ontop of the app fee i am not sure if my ancient cheapie bluetooth ELM327 would be compatible with the bimmercode app for programming duties - i know its fine & dandy for code reads & clears on the engine side & for anything a little more indepth i have a Delphi code reader on the laptop ( handy for Re-coding the battery i had to change recently ) but its not a full on coder tool ( or if it is i aint figured out how to use it right yet lol ) i do also have one of the Laptop BMW ISTA/INPA cable thingies & the software to do the coding & such but my god the steps involved i decided to not brick the car & just live with it how it is instead lol ) - the phone APP solutions are far more handy when i finally get round to sorting out the disco mode on start-up & the Memory function of the Stop/Start Button lol

my post was more a warning about the perils of the ebay resister sets to get rid of said errors as although they do the job & stop the warnings, they get stupidly hot when in use & you dont want to have a meltdown on your hands that then also needs fixing (y)

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 for the above. I put some led taillights on and had error messages. Brought an ODB2 reader and paid for the the Bimmercode app. Set everything to LED. Plenty of threads on the NAM Site
What is the NAM site? Also, ODB2 reader, as opposed to an OBD adapter recommended by Bimmercode? Need helpI put LEDs in girlfriend's '21 Cooper and obviously getting errors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts