MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my standard sidelights with icewhite led's,

but they don't go off completely they stay on very dimmly but in the black off night stick out a mile, i have tried using differnt led sidelights but the same happens, the standard bulbs however work fine.

any ideas on what to do??

·
Always on Overboost
2,524 Posts
I tried a few different LEDs and found these the best - for brightness and colour to match the Xenons

NewMINIStuff.com

Had them on my 03 Cooper and 07 MCS with no problems like you describe at all.

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
I just replaced my standard sidelights with icewhite led's,

but they don't go off completely they stay on very dimmly but in the black off night stick out a mile, i have tried using differnt led sidelights but the same happens, the standard bulbs however work fine.

any ideas on what to do??
MINT has these on his R53 S, they stay on for a while after the ignition is off and when he unlocks his car via the remote they also come one dimly!

·
Noob
247 Posts
These are the ones I have .. They flash several times when you first start the ignition, and they stay on dimly once you turn the car off - or when you unlock the car.

They are also not as BRIGHT as I had hoped, but still love them!

·
Registered
664 Posts
There is sometimes a small amount of current running through the MINI electrical system that is not enough to light a regular bulb, but enough for an LED. You can Install a 1K ohm resistor in parallel with the LEDs (between the positive/negative wires). This provides an extra electrical path that, during low level power, prevents the LED from getting enough power to light up.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
As others have said above, they will stay on dimly for a while after use due to the residual current in the system - flickering when you click the ignition on is also normal with LEDs in the MINI :)

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
I don't advertise LED bulbs on my site for 2nd gen Minis as the car is very sensative to LED bulbs & can bring up warning messages (on sat nav cars)
Interesting to read that they work for some people though

·
Noob
247 Posts
Are they SO bright that the police or other road users might mistake them for fogs?
Nope. Definitely not that bright. They only looked bright to me once, when I was quite far away and there were no street lights. I had hoped they were brighter, however I still like them much more than the original sidelights for sure.

·
Always on Overboost
2,524 Posts
I don't advertise LED bulbs on my site for 2nd gen Minis as the car is very sensative to LED bulbs & can bring up warning messages (on sat nav cars)
Interesting to read that they work for some people though
I haven't got SatNav but they do bring up the sidelight bulb failure warning light/bong when i turn the engine on

Doesn't bother me as the lights look much better

Give off a brighter/crisper/whiter light than standard bulbs

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's bad enough the car bongs for fuel and low washer fluid but for lights as well would do my head in hence me sticking to blue sidelight upgrades. They are much whiter than the standard yellow tinged ones which look rediculous when you have standard xenon headlights. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts