MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all CVT owners, how many of you drive using a left-footed braking technique? As I scoot around the "Internets" (G.W.Bush), I find more and more threads and topics-of-conversation springing up around this topic. It seems like quite a few CVT owners are employing this strategy. Anyone here? What are the main advantages of doing so besides quicker reaction times? This is asked for daily driving, not for track-use.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Cooper76 said:
For all CVT owners, how many of you drive using a left-footed braking technique? As I scoot around the "Internets" (G.W.Bush), I find more and more threads and topics-of-conversation springing up around this topic. It seems like quite a few CVT owners are employing this strategy. Anyone here? What are the main advantages of doing so besides quicker reaction times? This is asked for daily driving, not for track-use.
Which Forums/Threads are you reading where this technique is being discussed?

There is a reaction time advantage perhaps, but the primary use of this technique is to "balance" the car in corners.

Because the computer takes your inputs precisely, a very settled, very stable, very definite, and very direct use of the throttle pedal is desired to create the behavior and transmission of power output you want from the car. You actually use both the throttle (in anticipation of the pedal position required for the power needed) and the brake (to balance weight transfer between front and rear). This is not typically needed for roadway situations, but it is fun to get right at any time!

It's a skill thing, like driving a cart; a "How well can you learn to do it?" challenge.

MyWiniCooper said:
doesnt that just burn through your brake-pads a bit too excessively for normal everyday driving?
The answer should be "No" because for street driving you wouldn't use the brakes more often, or any harder, than if your right-foot moved over from the throttle pedal. I'm not sure anyone is advocating left-foot braking as the norm (except to practice, practice, which is necessary if you want to have the same sensitive use of the pedal that you may now have from your right-foot).

·
MINI2 Newbie
176 Posts
I use left foot braking most of the time -- for street driving. I like it and it is easier for me as I don't have to keep moving the right foot off the gas pedal. I don't ride the brake, at least not much to be a problem. Some have said that if you ride your brakes at all it will definitely cause premature brake wear, but my brakes generally last longer than most people's so for me that is not a problem. However, I've heard experts say this can be a problem in emergency situations as it can cause a hesitation, i.e., as to which foot to use). At first I would keep using my right foot occassionally and in the few times I had to hit the brakes hard and fast. But now, I don't think I've used my right foot on the brake for quite awhile. I still like it though.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Left-foot braking inspirational video

Here are links to another thread on MINI2 where comment about left-foot technique was developed, and to a video that should (at minimum) create comment about driving skills!

Notice his complete concentration, the precise use of every available appendage, his patience (as the car is drifting at huge slip angles), and the very direct (hard) use of brakes and throttle to transfer weight and control traction.

A beautiful "dance" with this Audi Quattro by the master, Walter Rohrl.

Left foot braking vs Corner Brake Control

Walter Rohrl/Audi Quattro

·
MINI2 Wannabie
75 Posts
stevesmini said:
sorry but im new to all this and LFB sounds really really useful but doesnt it stuff up the brakes?? or any other mechanical things?
LFB can potentially knacker your drive system as people who aren't trained can press the accel & brake at the same time, putting unneccesary strain on mechanical parts. The reaction time increase is marginal, as conditions or looking ahead would affect braking distance and reaction time to a far greater extent than 0.2 of a second. Most people don't drive like a race or rally on the road, so although its useful for lazy people, I would never use it as it is impractical and (personnally) strange and uncomfortable.

It can be useful as long as you never press both pedals at once. Thats the only real downside to it.
LM

·
Registered
35 Posts
oic
thanks for the info!

i test drove the CVT today but i found that coming our of a corner is pretty bad...doesnt have much umpf...

do u guys recommend any techniques or nething like that? somehow have to get the revs up there in the 3000 or 4000??

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The quick answer to your question is in one of the several posts just a bit earlier in this thread. Read through them first, and then question further with a comment, suggestion, or a more specific question.

nonsequitur said:
The answer should be "No" because for street driving you wouldn't use the brakes more often, or any harder, than if your right-foot moved over from the throttle pedal. I'm not sure anyone is advocating left-foot braking as the norm (except to practice, practice, which is necessary if you want to have the same sensitive use of the pedal that you may now have from your right-foot).

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stevesmini said:
oic
thanks for the info!

i test drove the CVT today but i found that coming our of a corner is pretty bad...doesnt have much umpf...

do u guys recommend any techniques or nething like that? somehow have to get the revs up there in the 3000 or 4000??

Yeah, don't slow down. If you brake too much going into a corner, you're bogged. Keep the speed up, and the revs, and you will literally shoot out of the corner.

Now, if we could only solve the "big-**** SUV with one occupant wielding a cell phone yanking the wheel with one hand multiple times while alternately braking and accelerating to turn the corner" conditions out on the road, everything would be rosy. :rolleyes:

GET

OUT

OF

MY

BLOODY WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blblack: :blblack: :blblack: :mad:

(Cooper76, it's time for your medications, sir...)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
stevesmini said:
do u guys recommend any techniques[?]
Maybe this is an invitation to get the sticky Technique thread revved up again? ;)

CVT driving technique

CVT driving technique, partial summary post

Lots of people have invested effort in this Forum. stevesmini asks a good question, a reasonable question, intended to improve the driving experience with the CVT. That's exactly what this place is all about. Check out the summary post as a way to get started reading in that thread. Any suggestions to improve it?

I think the answer to your question is "left-foot braking", which allows you to set a target speed with your throttle right-foot, keeping the revs up and shooting off the apex. :D

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
No, or Yes, or Depends...

Your need is to have the engine at an appropriate rpm or headed there very quickly, so just like in clutch karts to keep the clutch fully engaged, you can give the MINI CVT throttle before it would otherwise be done.

There could be a moment where you would have both brake and throttle applied, but not very long.

The brakes are being gently applied to balance forward thrust with the limits of the corner. It's something of a "dance", gentle footwork, careful timing, and a "release" of the brake to let the car engage leaving the apex of the corner.

I don't think you "stuff" the brakes. ;)

In that description of Portland International Raceway, Turn 7 is where this works sooo well. I should go back to read it too. Ask another question if this makes no sense.

·
502 Posts
stevesmini said:
oic
thanks for the info!

Well u can go quick in a corner but in manual mode ... use the engine brake to slow the car down in manual mode and take the corner in 1st/2nd and step on the trottle should be able to keep ya rev's at about 3-3.5 revs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.