MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to this site I was intially gobsmacked at the problems people are having with the new mini, I have been experiencing a number of these problems myself but mainly the infamous 'left' problem..........but no-one has mentioned 'heavy steering'.

Not being an expert on cars, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with the power steering?, or is this just part of the 'left' factor. Maybe I am imagining this but I'm sure that my Mini used to have precise and responsive steering. I have only had it for about a month.

I am also furious that my dealership initially sounded supprised about this problem, when I know full well they knew about it. It is thanks to this website that I have had my eyes opened and I will not be fobbed off anymore.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're less than ecstatic with your car :( . Not many dealers will voluntarily admit that ANY cars have faults, but you're probably right about them fobbing you off. It's a safe bet that they did know about the infamous left pull/drift.

Not sure about heavy steering though. Compared to my last car (a Honda), it is. But then compared to a Hondas steering an empty paper bag would seem heavy ;) . See if you can get hold of another car and compare it (go to a different dealer and ask for a test drive).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Some road tests have mentioned that they thought the steering was heavy at low speeds. I must say I find my Cooper's steering just right at low speeds. Are you saying the steering used to be OK and has become heavier?

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
I wouldn't say the steering on the Mini is heavy, but I would say the steering on other cars is soft.

I think the Mini's steering is one of its best features; in other words brilliant :p

Sorry to hear about your problems. At least you know you are in good company. With regards to the dealer playing dumb about the 'pull' problem, you are not the first and you certainly won't be the last. It seems we know more about the Mini than they do either that or they are blatantly lying. Whichever one it is, it doesn't put them in good light.

Cheers

LMB :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Indi boy is a good indication that most MINI owners are not aware there are others with the same problems. BMW and the dealers are not going to admit to known faults and if you don't complain, they are not about to volunteer anything. There are several thousand MINIs on the road, but only a hundred or so owners are here. I suggested this before, but perhaps it is worth repeating. Print up some business card sized notes with something like "Come to www.mini2.com" on them and stick one under the wiper blade of any MINI you see parked somewhere. Or if you prefer, use sticky notes on the driver's side window. It is a good way to spread the word. There are a lot more "indi boys" out there who need to be informed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts