MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left pull was checked by a BMW engineer today, and the news (apart from his confirmation that they will correct mine as soon as the fix is released) is:

- New fix being tested on 3 cars being driven for the equivalent of a full car lifetime to test durability. Results positive, and if all goes well fix kits at dealers late March

- The equivalent to the fix will be on all cars produced from May, so the Cooper S should not have this fault at all (nor will Coopers or Ones post May). If yours is built pre-May, then you might get the pull

- The dealer will need the car for up to a week while rejigging things. This sounds like a major dealer service job, rather than sending it back to the factory

So basically an inconvenience for the next month or so, and driving a boring BMW for a week while they fix the mini.

Could be worse.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anyone know if this is going to be the subject of a general recall when the fix is finally available? Or are they only going to fix those whose owners have complained?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Re: Left pull - fix update

Apial said:
I guess that only owners who notify their dealer that they are not satisfied with the various fixes experimented on them so far will get the FINAL fix.
Fair enough, I guess I'd better let them know about 'the pull' when they get my car in a couple of weeks for 2 days to check for leaks. It's not desperate enough for me to let them experiment on the suspension though, I'll just get them to put it on the list they haven't told me they've got.

BTW - my dealers give me a new 316SE as a courtesy car. My insurance company charge £5/day on top of my normal premium but it certainly beats a base Clio. :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
...Interesting!

Is this now the official BMW position on the matter, I wonder (rather than a one off comment from one employee)?

What is the 'fix' exactly?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wonder what this means for all those cars that arrived in America?

·
Registered
577 Posts
It means the early US cars will be prone to drift left and they are hoping the road crown will neutralize it somewhat because we drive on the right. (If you recall, they once said the left pull is only a "problem" in the UK because of the RHD. Never mind that Apial, and others, reported the car will pull left from the right side of the road as well.) They are probably hoping nobody here will notice the left pull, but there are some long, flat highways and a left drift would take you into oncoming traffic if you don't hold the wheel in a death grip. It will probably be April or May before the "new" suspension appears here and it may be some time after that before we will know if that fixes the problem. Their other "fixes" haven't worked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given that the final fix won't go into production until May, then June or July probably earliest dates for US models guaranteed not to drive in circles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Add that to the Watch List.

By the way, is anyone keeping one?

A subject for the General Discussion forum when the dealers open, perhaps?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now we are in March, anybody have reliable information on when the dealers will get this?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Launch date in the US is toward the end of March, but only if the dealer has the showroom ready. Some are ready now, some will be in a few weeks and some dealers won't be ready until next year. It's called "hurry up and wait."

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to my dealer, who said they now don't know when the fix will be available. If only we could drive on the wrong side of the road on roundabouts in the UK...

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Mr T said:
...If only we could drive on the wrong side of the road on roundabouts in the UK...
Hey, I can't be sure now, but it is very likely that I've done just that at the magic roundabout in Swindon. :D :D :D :D Take a look and tell me if you'd do the same: :)

http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

Sorry to go off topic here, but the link above also shows a bunch of special MINIs because that's where MINI body panels are made!!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I am never driving if I visit the UK again. That is nuts.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The Colchester version was simpler, but no less daft.

The idea there was not to ease through-flow of traffic, but to confuse the heck out of drivers so that they would slow down!

Instead of one large island, there were 6 (IIRC) mini-roundabouts, and it was perfectly possible to go anti-clockwise around the chain of mini-roundabouts so long as you obeyed the usual clockwise rule at each individual mini-roundabout.

Although I didn't drive a Mini then. A friend did, and wrote it off a few hundred yards from the Colchester "magic roundabout". But then he was writing-off cars regularly back then.:rolleyes:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I've not been told at any stage there will be a 'magic fix' or recall by the folk at MINI/BMW.

I have sent a list of questions with the 'Man from MINI UK' over to Geneva for him to 'stick under the noses' of the bigwigs from BMW.

With a great deal of luck, there could be an official, from the top response soon.

The way I phrased the left pull query was:

Some MINI owners have reported experiencing the car pulling to the left, unacceptably so. Some people have gone so far as rejecting their MINI's due to this problem. Reports from dealerships and other sources seem to vary greatly on this matter.

Can you shed some light on what MINI view to be the current situation. Is there a known fault, is there a planned recall, do you know how many cars are affected? If it's an inconsistent problem, then is it a problem occurring during the manufacturing process, or with the quality of the parts
supplied?
We have to wait and see.

On a lighter note, a diagram on how to use the 'Magic Roundabout', this one in Hemel Hempstead, opened in 1972...

·
4,984 Posts
If I'd run into a roundabout like that when I was driving in Britain last Christmas, I'd have pulled over, abandoned the car and walked back to Heathrow.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Gads, that looks worse than the infamous "Traffic Circle" in Long Beach (home of the Queen Mary.) I heard a rumor that the man who designed the traffic circle was one of the first ones killed on it, but I don't know if that is true.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts