MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are lots of posts about what the MINI dealer might do if he catches us with performance parts on our MINIs, and lots of posts about how to fight with the dealers if this ever happens, but as far as I can tell this is all just speculation. Has anyone ever been denied a warranty claim on their MINI because of performance parts? I would like to hear your story about this (but only about your MINI, thanks).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nope - dealer seems cool with mine, and was happy to do the TC and steering sensor problems again after my mods.

The tech that came out, even commented on how nice the upgrades were compared with the JCW kit :D

·
Track addict
5,960 Posts
Nope, no problems, my JCWS had several other non JCW/BMW Mini parts (playmini exhaust, Brembo upgraded brakes.

in fact, my dealer said they fully expected people to modify their car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
any chance of keeping this thread topped--- would find it very interesting to know exactly what approach bmw are taking to mods in reality....This seems to be one of the main points of discussion on the board-- would be usefull to hear first hand experiance with bmw service

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
none with mine either.. have had several minor problems (my own cause) still fixed under warrenty

·
The Mini Family Sponsers
1,607 Posts
Only If the mod is the cause of the problem :confused:, Had a new steering rack replaced under warranty also that stupid little fan under the car that cools the power steering pump (I think) Plus numerous minor things (rattles etc) Not had any engine /transmission probs as yet so will have to see what happens if something should arise but TLC is a no no..

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
I wish I could get some little rattles fixed. I have been to two different dealers that refuse to do anything about it. When I get time, I am going to rip off my door panels and see what I can do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cant comment on warranty really but I had my first TLC service done with my Eibachs and Milltek exhaust fitted. No mention of either of them. I also had my Kenwood stereo fitted though I dont know if they consider this a warranty voider. It had been played with though as the volume and track playing wasnt as I left it...!

Would be interested to see if they say anything on the Inspection II, they might look a bit silly if they do seeing as they serviced it last time with the mods and I can prove the dates with receipts.

joeinitaly: I recently stripped my doors down to fix buzzes and rattles and found it very easy and quite successful. I applied felt to the edges of the door cards where they can contact the door and to the metal 'prongs' that hold the door card at the top - you'll see what I mean when you take the door liner off.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Black&WhiteScooper said:
--- would find it very interesting to know exactly what approach bmw are taking to mods in reality
I'd say you won't get anything in writing from BMW or MINI taking a position one way or the other.

I deal with customers everyday that have problems getting warranty work covered by dealers that want to blame everything from our product to aftermarket radios and different brand tires. Luckily in the USA, we have the Magnuson Moss Act. But even with this Federal Law, individuals sometimes have to get a lawyer and take the dealer to court to get them to honor the warranty.

In 15 years of making performance products for Ford, GM and Chrysler products, we have never seen any statement in writing specifically denying a warranty repair due to our product. The dealer may say they're not going to cover the failure under the warranty, but they never will put that in writing either.

In the end, 99% of refused warranty claims are due to the dealer wanting to turn the warranty claim into a cash sale. The dealer makes a profit on a cash sale. On a warranty claim, they do good to break even. Most individuals will breakdown and pay for the repair rather than going and getting a lawyer. This is what the dealer is banking on.

So, your dealer may be happy to accommodate your mods, but don't expect the same from a dealer when you're away from home.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is a great thread for me as I am interested in giving my car some upgrades but am very concerned about my warranty coverage. From what I see and hear though (everything from they don't care about mods to anythhing will void the warranty), it depends on the dealer what they feel like fixing under warranty, and I agree most denials of warranty coverage are due to them wanting to convert it into a cash sale. As far as I know, here in the US they have to PROVE that the fault to be fixed was caused by a specific modification or alteration. But I'd like to hear more personal accounts of this.

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
I agree it realy depends upon the dealer and the relationship you have with the service manager, forget the sales person!

Im not sure what the consumer laws are like elsewhere in the world but in Australia they are very specific about exclusion for warranty claims caused by racing, mods, etc. In that they can only reject a claim if the mod directly impacts the effected part.

I have had some warranty replacement on my race/track modified car done with no questions. The one that was the stickiest was a split in the right hand side inside drive shaft boot. They rejected this as a warranty claim as I had had an oil cooler fitted by a third party and BMW claimed that as the work was adjacent to the boot it could have been damaged in the process. Hard to argue either way.

Another factor on mods and warranty work is that in Aus the dealers get paid by BMW about half the hourly rate they usually charge for non-warranty work, so if the dealer is a bit nasty they will always try to bounce first. Most times I have found that when they try it on you have a decent "technical" discussion and they usually come around

·
Registered
177 Posts
If those posting in this thread sharing their experiences of warranty work after mods wouldn't mind telling us what type of work was either denied or accepted, that would be very helpful to me and I'm sure many others who would like to mod their car but the warranty is too important to them. Thanks!

·
Don Vito
17,160 Posts
I had a K&N intake, Eibachs and a Magnex exhaust :D.. i miss CoopRaNite :(.. I didn't have the any other dealings with them may i add ;) got the first TLC with a nice wash included.

I did call and check before any of the extra add ons to make sure the TLC would not be void as I had read stories on here of dealers voiding TLC's because of MODS. My dealers response when i queried add-ons was that, if there was a fault found and it didn't result from the mod then I would be fine :)

All ok Zooooom?? did they find the Cooper bonnet on the chipped S of yours a problem ;) :p

·
International Merrymaker
426 Posts
I installed a short shift kit and had to remove the exhaust center pipe. The bolts were (already) rusty, and I ended up shearing one off. Dealership replaced it free of charge even after I told them how I did it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.