MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mini is dead ! After turning the engine off last night a fan came on and blasted away furiously. This often happenes but seemed to take longer than usual to stop but I left it assuming everything was OK. Ive just tried to get into the car this afternoon and the ingnition key wont open the car. Assuming the battery was dead ( drained by the fan last night ??) I opened the car with the spare key and my husband attempted to look at the battery. Suddenly the alarm has gone off and we dont know how to stop it !! We're noe waiting for the RAC to arrive ! Any ideas why the fan goes off and any ideas why my mini is dead ? Help !:mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dead mini update

We tried putting the key into the ignition and turning it but the alarm kept going! The RAC man jump started the car and the alarm stopped but the fan came on straight way. This must have been running all night until the battery died ! At the moment , the only way to stop the fan is to disconnect it. RAC couldnt fix it so I'll have to connect and disconnect the fan before and after using the car to get to work etc before I can get it to a garage on Monday. RAC suggested it could be a relay problem. Any other suggestions ? Will I have to take my cooper S to Sytners to get this fixed or will any garage be able to sort this out ? Every time I go to sytners it seems to cost another £500 !! :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
not sure what fan

What fan?? the radiator fan or powersteering fan? either is hopefully just a simple relay. Just hope its not the powersteering pump running too.
Thanks for your help.
Not sure what fan it was , but we disconnected a wire towards the right side of the radiator and it stopped. Presumably this is the radiator fan ? I had a new radiator in the Summer which was cracked , the cause of which was a total mystery as coolant is well topped ( although it needs regular attention) and the car is garaged and not exposed to freezing winters. Sytners pressure checked it twice and said there wasnt a problem , but there still seems to be white deposits around the coolant resevoir seals ?
Ive had no problems with heavy stearing ( so far ! ) but Ive read that the power steering pump can be a problem. RAC man said he doesnt get much trouble with minis - looks like mine might change his opinion !

Anyone tell me if it is the radiator fan that we've diconnected so I can let Sytners know when I book it in ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update

We re-connected the relay to the radiator last night and used the car this morning for the 45min drive to work. Strangely at the end of the journey, when the engine was turned off , the fan didn't come on at all let alone keep running on endlessly ! I came on briefly when I got home tonight but then shut off after about 5 seconds . Whats going on ? this is very weird ! I think my car is posessed !!! :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts