MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else noticed that when you steer at low speed both the interior dash lights and the headlights dim slightly and if you stop turning the wheel they brighten again.

Is this normal? Suppose it just uses a lot of power.

No technical gloating from Mr Bill as another reason why no-one is the US should buy a MINI please!!

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Yeah mine does that, its because the power steering is electric.

I can't say I have noticed the dash lights dimming, but I have noticed the headlights.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool as long as it's not just me and my electrics aren't about to go Pete Tong, thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
ah damn, i had noticed that in my old car but that was a vauxhaul corsa :( even though i know nought about electrics i just thought it was bad connections :confused:

it even dun it when i used the electric windows

·
Registered
577 Posts
You rang? Yeah, it's probably "normal." The electric power steering pump draws a lot of current and the alternator and voltage regulator can't furnish enough juice at low rpm so the battery voltage dips a bit. The reason for the electric pump is it only loads the engine when the power steering is needed, unlike an engine-driven pump that runs all the time. Supposed to save fuel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
mr.bill said:
You rang? Yeah, it's probably "normal." The electric power steering pump draws a lot of current and the alternator and voltage regulator can't furnish enough juice at low rpm so the battery voltage dips a bit. The reason for the electric pump is it only loads the engine when the power steering is needed, unlike an engine-driven pump that runs all the time. Supposed to save fuel.
short, sweet and not a moan or a grumble in sight!! :D :p :D Can't say I've ever noticed it, but its another MINI2 thing to look out for......

kjs

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He knows too much though, what on earth does he do with his time??? Doesn't get out much I feel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my old mini classic I had a silly stereo, and at the time had a penchant for hard-techno...

The lights used to dim about 140 times a minute, every time the bass went bang...

people used to think I was flashing at them....

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I used to have four spotlights on the front of my old mini cooper which caused havoc for my poor alternator at low revs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts