MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed recently that my Cooper's lights dim significantly when any input to the steering is made - took me ages to work out why the headlights seemed to keep flickering randomly! Does the same thing for all the lights on the car. The slightest change in steering direction causes it.

Anyone know if this is a battery problem, or is it normal? I've certainly never noticed it before in the 3 years almost I've had a MINI (until now that is).

Cheers.

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
The steering is electronically assisted so the lights will dim a little when you turn the wheel-Same with if you have the Vis pack and turn the Heated front windscreen on etc it takes all the power momentarirly until the car recognises this and increases revs slightly, wouldn't worry about it. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys.

I've booked it in because there are a few other things which need looking at as well - rattling/knocking from engine bay under load, engine sounds very breathy, fuel & temp gauges knock back against stops when starting from cold, hesitation in 2nd gear. Just a small list!

And it needs cleaning!

Was going to hand it back as a part ex but just had to cancel the S I had on order so may as well get all these things looked at now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Alternators take some time to respond to changes of load. For the first 1/4 of a second after a load is applied, it's the battery, not the alternator, that takes the extra load.

As a battery ages, its resistance increases, so the voltage dips as loads are applied will get bigger. The light dimming as you steer will get more noticeable with an old battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.